5 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Do you carry a chequebook and and postal orders around with you too?

It's not beneath me it's inconvenient to have to seek out a (free) cashpoint and carry a wallet and in 99% of situations it isn't required so I don't. 

Had I known for a fact the restaurant couldn't take a tip by card I might have got cash out but again its so rare now its not something would cross my mind to do.

No. What do you expect would happen if you offered to pay for a meal or a taxi fare using a cheque or postal order? You’d be told to piss off.

It isn’t a comparison. Cash is still used far more often than either of those. I don’t see why having some in case it’s needed is such an alien concept to some people.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:
Why don't folk tip supermarket workers?

Why don't you tip them, assuming you don't? Then the rest of us can give our reasons....

I don't tip them, just as I don't tip binmen, bar staff and posties, or indeed anyone.

Edited by DA Baracus

I tip the barber because I get my hair cut once a year and do it as a courtesy thank you for not having stuck his scissors in my neck dealing with it. 

On the rare occasion I'd use a taxi I wouldn't be going far and would round it up to something convenient for me to carry.

I'd empty my bins myself before I thought of tipping the binmen. I'd do a better job.

I work in a pub and we take card tips, just add whatever they say on to the machine and take it out the till. I’ve worked in a few different places and the schemier the place, the better the tips. Worked in a local where I’d maybe take a grand a week maximum in sales (2/3 nights usually) and would walk out with 50ish quid tips, then in nicer places I’d take 3/4 thousand and get around 20.

On the “take one for yourself” thing, I don’t take a drink, just take a quid and put it in the jar. Very rarely take a drink for when I’m done but if it’s a quiet night and the person seems genuinely sound and hasn’t been chatting shite all night I’ll take one and have it after.

One time in America we were out for dinner and it came to 140 dollars, my dad was paying and the girl handed him the machine and he put in 180. She came back a few minutes later crying and asked if he sure he meant to tip that much, he said yes and was confused. His face when I worked out he actually tipped 180 on top of the 140 was hilarious, didn’t have the heart to get her back and tell her it was an accident.

17 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Why do people tip their binmen or posties? It’s not like these are self employed people or are earning really really shit wage.

Binmen is especially weird. Is your council tax bill not high enough? It’s not like they are going to empty your bin any better or quicker if you tip them.

Whats tipping the postie going to achieve either? That he doesn’t post your stuff through the wrong door?

Where I am, tipping the postie is something I do to ensure I get my mail semi-regularly - a Belgian neighbour of mine has never had his mail delivered and has to go to the post office periodically to pick it up.  If I'm expecting something and need it quickly the wife will give the post office a bell and he'll bring it in the next day or so.  

As for the binmen - they hand out envelopes a few days before Christmas so it's pretty much expected.  I don't have a problem with it.  

I never tip taxi drivers here because they rip us off every time by doubling the fare and it's a take it or leave it situation for us.  On Sunday, the guy asked for triple the normal fare as we had already loaded up the boot with the shopping.  The wife, unlike her, said no problem, we'll unload everything and get another taxi.  He slammed my door shut and took us and proceeded to grunt and sigh for the next 30 minutes.  P***k.  

20 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Do you carry a chequebook and and postal orders around with you too?

It's not beneath me it's inconvenient to have to seek out a (free) cashpoint and carry a wallet and in 99% of situations it isn't required so I don't. 

Had I known for a fact the restaurant couldn't take a tip by card I might have got cash out but again its so rare now its not something would cross my mind to do.

I, for one, am shocked that the man who claimed to have been paid in £500 notes no longer believes in the use of cash in society.

15 hours ago, eez-eh said:

No. What do you expect would happen if you offered to pay for a meal or a taxi fare using a cheque or postal order? You’d be told to piss off.

It isn’t a comparison. Cash is still used far more often than either of those. I don’t see why having some in case it’s needed is such an alien concept to some people.

We're certainly moving a lot closer to being a cashless society, but you're putting all your eggs in one basket if you make a point of not carrying cash....it's a useful backup and there are still loads of small purchases that are cash only.

I get landed with selling our match programmes occasionally, and it's almost inevitable before each game someone will come up and try to pay by card when the setup's clearly just a guy standing there with a pile of them and no card reader in sight.

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I feel a bit sorry for folk who struggle to carry cash and a card.  Life must be a real challenge if such an easy task proves difficult.

Most folk will pick up the same thing that holds both cash and cards when they leave the house, i.e. your wallet (or purse of course for females) so it's no hardship at all.  Going to the cash point when you're running low on cash is also no great shakes.  Most folks are close to one on a regular basis.

I think the tech now is great but I still carry cash. I find it amusing people's attitude that 'cash is no more' and it probably will be in my lifetime. But not right now. 

Why is it though that pretty much any queue I'm in is being held up by some chump with an i phone (it's always an i phone) attempting to pay for the fourth time, refusing to acknowledge that his 'app' isn't working for whatever reason? And yet somehow its the shops fault........

I know, I know, I should shop elsewhere. Or online :)

I try to pay everything by card because I use a loyalty points card and it basically covers my Amazon Prime subscription and then some every month. I've only used apply pay once, out of necessity as I got to the till and realised I'd left my wallet on my desk at work. It was footery (probably because I had no idea how to use it) but I'm not a fan of it and particularly because I can't use my loyalty credit card with it. Apple won't allow it to be added for some reason. 

I usually have twenty or thirty quid in my wallet but really don't pay cash for anything other than a takeaway or a taxi. I used to have a jar in the house for loose change and would take it to the RBS every couple of months to convert it and it would be close to a hundred quid every few months, can't remember the last time I put a coin in the jar now.

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

I've only used apply pay once, out of necessity as I got to the till and realised I'd left my wallet on my desk at work.

I used Google Pay for the first time last week for the same reason, was quite surprised how quickly I got it to work, maybe the people in the queue behind me weren't as impressed as me though. :lol:

20 hours ago, Fullerene said:

If I was taking a taxi for a short journey, I would offer a tip as something of an apology for them maybe missing out on a bigger fare.

For longer journeys, I do not offer a tip apart from rounding up.

Suppose it will depend on when and where they work, but most taxi drivers I know(Almost all black hacks in Glasgow who work nights) prefer short journeys because they can pick up more fares and have less dead time. If you take a trip out to Greenock or the like from the City Centre, you end up with a journey home that you can’t make anything from, and you’d make far more just rattling out short journeys between Central and Partick, for example.

• 4 months later...
On 28/03/2022 at 20:36, deegee said:

For me, the thing that is currently grinding my gears is “service charge” added to more and more restaurants without telling you. I’d always rather give a tip for good service rather than be press- ganged into it. I’d also prefer the cash went directly to the staff than through the (likely) reduction due to “service charges” by the owners, when paying by card or a service charge!

Discovered yesterday that The Bothy restaurant in Glasgow now adds 12.5% to the bill as a 'discretionary service charge'.

Get that sordid practice fired right into the sea.

It's the West End of Glasgow, not central Manhattan. 

On 29/03/2022 at 17:28, Miguel Sanchez said:

I tip the barber because I get my hair cut once a year and do it as a courtesy thank you for not having stuck his scissors in my neck dealing with it. 

This poster is going to go on a killing spree one day.