27 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

A tenner every Christmas means there's never a problem leaving out extra rubbish all year, it's a bargain. The postman changes so often these days I don't bother, but they used to give you a bit more time to get to the door before popping the card through, as said above. Anyway when it comes down to it why give anyone a Christmas present?

I don’t tip binmen. Neither do any of the people around me. Sometimes people leave a bag or 2 extra out with their bin and they usually get taken. If not it’s not hard to visit a dump.

not really worth the tenner a year tbh.

21 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

A few years ago I fell asleep on the drive home as I was pished. When the car stopped on the driveway I tried to pay and tip the driver.

Turned out it was my wife. Oops.

It could have been so much worse.

2 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

Always tip taxi's, barber's and delivery drivers.

Don't know why, but I become riddled with guilt when I don't tip a takeaway driver especially when they've had to come up loads of stairs.

Taxi's and barber's what?

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Why is tipping taxi drivers so common? Did they used to get shit pay and folk did it out of pity?

Has anyone hear actually met a poor taxi driver? Any time I get a taxi they can't wait to tell me how well off they are. They can f**k off expecting a healthy tip in that case.

If I was taking a taxi for a short journey, I would offer a tip as something of an apology for them maybe missing out on a bigger fare.

For longer journeys, I do not offer a tip apart from rounding up.

5 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Work on a bar in a clubhouse, tips are rare.

Huge generalisation forthcoming.

People who drink in clubs are either tight b*****ds or on equivalent wages to the folk who work there.

1 hour ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Whats tipping the postie going to achieve either? That he doesn’t post your stuff through the wrong door?

Our mail lady always brings packages round to the side door away from the street - even when there’s been a foot of snow on the path round - so she gets a fancy bottle of rum at Christmas. 

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

People who drink in clubs are either tight b*****ds or on equivalent wages to the folk who work there.

I think she means a golf club clubhouse. 

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Golf club.

11 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Golf club.

I worked at a Golf hotel in Nairn and when an American was about to tip me the locals told him not to as it isn't the done thing over here. Shower of stingy Audi driving c***s.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I worked at a Golf hotel in Nairn and when an American was about to tip me the locals told him not to as it isn't the done thing over here. Shower of stingy Audi driving c***s.

Royal Golf?

4 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Royal Golf?

Golf View. The customers weren't all golfers but they were the rudest and meanest. Apart from some school leaver Belgian posh kids who were truly obnoxious. 

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Golf View. The customers weren't all golfers but they were the rudest and meanest. Apart from some school leaver Belgian posh kids who were truly obnoxious. 

Ahhh know people who worked in that one too.

Royal Golf is Dornoch which I think was same holding company.

Edited by RH33

15 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Surely folk know by now not to bother tipping by card? f**k all chance whoever’s been serving you will ever see it.

The aversion some people have now to carrying some physical cash or change on them in case they need it just feels very snobby.

Not necessarily, it depends on the place. Many decent establishments allow staff to take their card tips in cash out the till.