4 hours ago, jakedee said:

In a restaurant, I'll always give the tip directly to the waiting staff, or leave it on the table.
About 10%, for me is normal.
Apart from what was mentioned earlier about rounding up, I see no need to tip generally elsewhere.

Still going to the owner though. Job offered at lower wages with the enticement of tips.

I was out in one of Dundee's finest brasseries on Saturday and they didn't have a facility to take a tip by card so they got f**k all. It's 2022 and I'm not carrying chunks of metal, notes or in bru bottles around to exchange for goods and services.

I don't know why hairdressers don't pitch there prices accordingly eg charge 21 quid instead of 24 quid. They are still going to get the 25. 

I never carry cash unless it is specifically for a service where card isn’t or is a difficult option i.e. haircut or taxi so they usually get a tip. 

If I’m out for a meal and have some cash like pound coins or a fiver I’d try and leave a tip but I also have no qualms about just not leaving one if they can’t take a card tip since this isn’t America. The only time I’d actively count out to make sure 10% or more is getting left is if it’s a bigger group (4 or more).

I parked my car under a tree for the last few days and decided to take it round to the car wash at lunchtime. I do tip those guys even though the daily mail has made it quite clear they are all money laundering operations.

I'd be more inclined to tip for a mugging than a Hermes delivery. I'd be more likely to pop down to the opposition dug out and tip the manager after a Saturday afternoon thrashing (yes, Kenneth) than tip a Hermes driver.

Always worth checking if an establishment allows their staff to keep tips, or if it goes into the owner's pockets.
I had a nice waitress quietly tip me off (lol, also Kenneth) that they didn't see tip money, and she looked terrified when I suggested that she just slip the note carelessly left under the salt cellar into her pocket. I don't think folk appreciate just how cunty a fair number of bosses are at the lower end of the economy.
Aye, hate that. I always ask (when paying by card) if the staff get the tips. If they say no then I just pay the meal and feel guilty for not having cash on me. I tend to tip 10% in restaurants.

Delivery drivers get a quid.

Taxi drivers will get it round up so I don't have a lot of silver. They can get fucked with a minimum tip. They are self-employed anyway so the money they make from the journey is theres.

I give our Hermes delivery lassie £20 at Xmas because she appears to be the only Hermes delivery driver in Britain that isn't completely fucking useless.

8 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I know it's a thing but I find tipping a bin man quite odd, even if it's just a half bottle of whisky at Christmas, emptying the bins isn't a particularly personalised service 

Bin men will get nothing until Harry Clarke formally apologises.

11 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I know it's a thing but I find tipping a bin man quite odd, even if it's just a half bottle of whisky at Christmas, emptying the bins isn't a particularly personalised service 

Helps if you want rid of something that won't fit in the bin the week after Christmas.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

I usually let a weeks worth of rubbish accumulate in my car then fling it all out the window while driving along.

Oh, you meant TIPPING.

Keep Scotland tidy.

Throw your rubbish in England. 

It is a minefield.  I tip in restaurants (unless the service is terrible) and round up taxi fares but that's about it.  My bike mechanic was heavily hinting I should tip him, by telling me about all the other tips he'd received.  I didn't give him one.

Interesting that some people tip anyone 'performing a service'.  Would that include the likes of mortgage advisers and dentists?  If not, why not?

For me, the thing that is currently grinding my gears is “service charge” added to more and more restaurants without telling you. I’d always rather give a tip for good service rather than be press- ganged into it. I’d also prefer the cash went directly to the staff than through the (likely) reduction due to “service charges” by the owners, when paying by card or a service charge!

I don’t get anything online so don’t need to pay couriers. I had a haircut in London last week which was good but cost £35. Still left the barber £3 and that’s the norm for the barber.

Taxis get a £1-2 tip but their default moaning about absolutely everything means I’d pay more to escape them lol.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I was out in one of Dundee's finest brasseries on Saturday and they didn't have a facility to take a tip by card so they got f**k all. It's 2022 and I'm not carrying chunks of metal, notes or in bru bottles around to exchange for goods and services.

Absolutely agree with this. It's a bit awkward when you're told "oh I'm sorry we can't put tips through the card readers." I feel bad for the waiting staff because it's not their fault. As you say, there's no excuse for it in this day and age.

I remember the days as a young lad when I delivered the Sunday morning papers. The tips at Christmas time were tremendous. Folk leaving a card out for you with £5 or £10 in it, sometimes it was even £20. Mad considering all I did was drag a trolley around the streets for just over an hour.

Pretty much just restaurants and rounding up taxi fares. Restaurants because they spend a significant amount of time serving you and they can make your evening good or bad, 

Otherwise I am kind of against the idea of tipping people just for performing their job tbh. I’m probably being tight but it adds up over a night out or day out, making it a lot more expensive. Some of the interactions with staff are so brief that I can’t really see how it’s justified - it’s not that I don’t appreciate them but it’s basically their job.