This has probably been discussed before but what can you do.

Who do you tip? For me it’s usually the following:

Barber - until recently gave him a fiver but the prices went up and it’s inconvenient to tip the same amount so he gets £2 now as it rounds up.

Restaurant waiting staff: 10-15% usually.

Taxi: f**k all as they’re normally c***s who can’t drive properly.

Food delivery drivers: totally varies dependent on what cash I have lying around. Sometimes it’s their lucky day and they get a decent tip, sometimes they get nothing.

Amazon/Hermes/Yodel delivery drivers: they get nothing. I’m not sure what the difference is between them and the food delivery drivers but there’s a clear difference in my mind and they never get anything. 

Interested to hear what The Forum’s contributors do in terms of tipping.

My haircuts cost £18, so I usually just give a £20 note and tell the barber to keep the change.

Restaurants: 10%-15% as you say. I've noticed a lot of places just helping themselves to a service charge these days.

Taxis: Normally use uber and don't tip.

Food delivery drivers: Normally use deliveroo and don't tip.

Varies depending on where I am, what I've spent and who I am with. Usually cafes or restaurants I'll do 10%, if I'm in a pub I will usually just do the "Take one for yourself" thing any time I have a different bar person serve me.

Used to do tactical tipping in my younger days when going to the football if the pub was crowded, ie, if 5 or 6 of you were in a round I would always get them to chip in a couple of quid each up front and tip that to the first person who served us. Almost always guaranteed we would get served immediately for every round thereafter, creating significant seethe and unrest when others had to wait longer than they should have.

5 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Varies depending on where I am, what I've spent and who I am with. Usually cafes or restaurants I'll do 10%, if I'm in a pub I will usually just do the "Take one for yourself" thing any time I have a different bar person serve me.

Used to do tactical tipping in my younger days when going to the football if the pub was crowded, ie, if 5 or 6 of you were in a round I would always get them to chip in a couple of quid each up front and tip that to the first person who served us. Almost always guaranteed we would get served immediately for every round thereafter, creating significant seethe and unrest when others had to wait longer than they should have.

Bar staff it probably depends on what type of place it is, how busy it is or maybe what I’m ordering. I’m not going to lie, the majority of the time I don’t tip someone pouring me a pint. If the bird has ordered some cocktail that’s a pain in the arse to make I probably would.

In North America it’s expected and bartenders there all absolutely rake it in which is a bit weird. 

Other people who might get a tip are folk who bring the bags up to the hotel room & the housekeeping staff.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

Restaurants, food delivery and the extremely rare occasions when I take a taxi. Anyone else can whistle.

I'd hate for us to get to that American stage where waiters in order to maximise their tip start giving you that intrusive and obsequious attention that they seem to think is "good service".

My clipper cut in the barber's is usually £8, I just hand over a tenner and tell them to keep the change.

I do similar with taxi drivers, usually I just round it up and tell them to keep the change.

In cafes or restaurants I usually put a quid or two into the tip jar depending on how much the meal has cost and how good the service has been, though since the pandemic started I've mostly paid by card so tipping hasn't always been an option.

Delivery drivers get SFA. 

When I travel I do so on a budget and stay in cheap hotels or hostels that don't have someone carrying your bag up to the room, so there's no tipping involved.

Want a tip? Dinny eat yella' snaw haahahahahahhahahaja!!!!!!!!

Seriously tho, I think the OP covered almost all the scenarios and in all the same ways I handle it.

A lot of times any other ad hoc tipping depends on what the amount of change due is. A lot of folk probably get tips they wouldn't have really been expecting due to easy rounding up.

America is weird with it. I dont mind it in bars and restaurants where in general, they do try to offer good service because of the tips thing, but taxi drivers in particular are odd over there in my experience. Many times I have sat in a taxi where the driver has been dead silent, never cracked a light then at the end announces the price on the meter and adds "plus tip" at the end.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Want a tip? Dinny eat yella' snaw haahahahahahhahahaja!!!!!!!!

Seriously tho, I think the OP covered almost all the scenarios and in all the same ways I handle it.

A lot of times any other ad hoc tipping depends on what the amount of change due is. A lot of folk probably get tips they wouldn't have really been expecting due to easy rounding up.

America is weird with it. I dont mind it in bars and restaurants where in general, they do try to offer good service because of the tips thing, but taxi drivers in particular are odd over there in my experience. Many times I have sat in a taxi where the driver has been dead silent, never cracked a light then at the end announces the price on the meter and adds "plus tip" at the end.

Forgot to mention when I see a good post on The Forum, I tend to ‘tip’ one Charles. You’re welcome.

I find if you can get round the fact that your tip is effectively going to the business owner/shareholder, albeit indirectly in some cases, it makes the decision easier.
In a restaurant, I'll always give the tip directly to the waiting staff, or leave it on the table.
About 10%, for me is normal.
Apart from what was mentioned earlier about rounding up, I see no need to tip generally elsewhere.

Jason Alexander is superb in this.  The look of disdain as he asks "Why?" right at the start is superb.  As is the "I'm encouraging you.....to leave 12 dollars"

5 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

The American tipping culture is insane, it's expensive enough there as it is.

Part of the reason tipping culture is so big is that the laws allow for servers to get paid a ridiculously low base wage.  Servers in American restaurants can make as little as $2.00 per hour base wage plus their tips. In Canada it's not that bad, but minimum wage for serving staff is still a couple of dollars less than regular minimum wage (I think that's still the case). 

43 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Part of the reason tipping culture is so big is that the laws allow for servers to get paid a ridiculously low base wage.  Servers in American restaurants can make as little as $2.00 per hour base wage plus their tips. In Canada it's not that bad, but minimum wage for serving staff is still a couple of dollars less than regular minimum wage (I think that's still the case). 

Yeah, the basic wages are terrible and it encourages a level of solicitiousness that many Europeans find full-on creepy...I remember once being in the Times Square Brewery and ending up having to tell the waiter to leave us alone unless we asked for something...we genuinely couldn't keep a conversation going without this human C3PO popping up like a jack-in-the-box every 90 seconds to interrupt.

Some of them are at it as well - the one that sticks in mind was one time on the Virginia coast - Alexandria or Annapolis - where I'd ordered two beers costing about $6 and handed over a fifty. After about five minutes, my mate pointed out I hadn't got my change back, so I called over the barman

"Oh, I assumed that was a tip..."

Had to give him a crash course in basic Scottish....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-9qxz30eL83YoAC7AndpoCz-HOMge77AULbOUwpl4CywilVfAg-itgDKwFWDlrv_g71c&usqp=CAU

Edited by Hillonearth