Should Orange Marches be banned?

Ban the Orange Marches  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Shotgun said:

If the broadcasters offered decent coverage, I'll bet quite a few people would tune in to watch a Pamplona style Running of the Bulls in Glasgow. Obviously, we'd want to minimise disruption to the residents so is there any reason it couldn't be held at the same time and location as the Orangemen's Big Day Oot?

This would be the event that would finally convince me to cough up for a Sky Sports subscription.

Release the Bulls!

I would ban all marches they cause way to much disruption to folk just trying to get on with their lives. We have plenty of parks free, have your marches/protests in them. Much easier to police and manage.

When i used to stay in Motherwell it was a royal pain in the arse getting woken up far too early because my house was on the marching route, then trying to get about the town was even worse. If it was just once a year you could make an argument for it but its constant through 'marching season'

Should orange walks be banned completely. Probably as it is nothing more than hate towards one religion but failing that they should be charged however much it costs to police the event. Sure it costs money to police other marches/events but you generally find their hangers on don't cause as many issues

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Can you explain what "legitimate protest" the Orange Order are carrying out with these marches? It's a celebration for them, not a protest. 

I never said it was a protest.  I said banning them or asking them to pay for policing could be used as an excuse to apply the same to legitimate protests that require policing.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I never said it was a protest.  I said banning them or asking them to pay for policing could be used as an excuse to apply the same to legitimate protests that require policing.

It would be a silly argument for someone to make though, given legitimate protests and orange order celebrations are two different things. 

6 minutes ago, monthefife said:

I'm unfamiliar with the term "hangers on". What does it mean?

If you were unfortunate enough to be in Glasgow on the day of a walk, particularly "The Big Walk", it used to be the case(And I presume it still is) that you had thousands of non participants who would follow the walk from the side of the road and pavements, ostensibly, to show support to the marchers, but often in reality they just turned up to seek out and intimidate unfortunate Catholicy types who happened to get caught up in the racket.

The term describes those who play no real part in the proceedings, but grasp at it for all they are worth as though it gives them some form of superiority.

Edited by Ross.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

This is exactly what I would want the OO to do (if I don't get my first wish of them all self combusting). This is great. The trumpet is a wee bit flat, but that's a minor gripe, and doesn't diminish the overall musicality (😇). 

More of this please. I love a brass band.

Well they'll presumably be marching again on the 17th May if you're in town

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I will take exception to your use of "roman catholic bigots" as that seems highly dismissive of those who are often the direct targets of these marches. Catholics, in my experience, are just people who congregate under a particular roof, sing songs, repeat prayers (often mindlessly tbf) and, in my experience, foster a sense of community. It's the same for all religions tbh. CoS, Episcopalians, Methodists, Muslims, Jews etc etc do exactly the same. I never met a single catholic who had a problem with protestants, nor a protestant who had an issue with catholics. There was always a mutual recognition that we were all worshipping the same fella, but that the proddies tended to get a bit more dressed up when they did so. Catholics are expressing outrage as they have been on the receiving end of this "celebration of culture" for centuries. 

I should probably point out that I I was mentioning "Roman Catholic bigots" as an exception to the more general rule not suggesting that one attribute universally implies the other, although they don't exclude each other either. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

It would be a silly argument for someone to make though, given legitimate protests and orange order celebrations are two different things. 

I’m not interested in having an argument.

I think the Scottish govt. should sit down with the Grand Wizard and the ghost of Ian Paisley and offer them a window of 10 out of a potential 90 days to march then open up the latest Rangers calendar at December, January and February and tell them to dab the days with their bingo marker on the required days.  

Many years ago when I was a student, I had a summer job selling gas and electricity door-to-door throughout central Scotland, predominantly in the west. It was the end of June and I was working the Kilsyth beat. I went to one house and got chatting. Very nice couple and they offered me dinner. I didn't accept as I had to keep working (4pm-8pm was the best time to work). But I did stay for a coffee and a chat. 

We were really getting along until I asked where they were going for their holidays. 

They went to Belfast every year. Every July. Stayed at the same place, met the same people, marched the same route on the 12th "They are the Queen's roads, so we have the right" the guy assured me. 

It was a very strange turn in the conversation to say the least.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Many years ago when I was a student, I had a summer job selling gas and electricity door-to-door throughout central Scotland, predominantly in the west. It was the end of June and I was working the Kilsyth beat. I went to one house and got chatting. Very nice couple and they offered me dinner. I didn't accept as I had to keep working (4pm-8pm was the best time to work). But I did stay for a coffee and a chat. 

We were really getting along until I asked where they were going for their holidays. 

They went to Belfast every year. Every July. Stayed at the same place, met the same people, marched the same route on the 12th "They are the Queen's roads, so we have the right" the guy assured me. 

It was a very strange turn in the conversation to say the least.

Should have been a slam dunk if you were punting British Gas.

They shouldn’t be banned as such, but keep the lot of them caged in somewhere like the vermin they are. That way, the rest of us don’t have to tolerate their bigoted bile. 
In a nutshell.

Why the f**k should multiple streets, in multiple locations, multiple times a year be closed to accommodate these fucking mutants?

Any other dwindling social club of paranoia and bitterness would not be pandered to in this way.

All.of these maggots use it as an extension of their Rangerness/to get it up the Sellick and so for those reasons, Orange walks are sinply another symptom of Scotlands Old Firm disease. Hateful wankers.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

All.of these maggots use it as an extension of their Rangerness/to get it up the Sellick and so for those reasons, Orange walks are sinply another symptom of Scotlands Old Firm disease. Hateful wankers.

Plenty of OO members don’t support “ra peeple”

These attitudes have been ingrained in Scottish society since way before football clubs was a thing.