Should Orange Marches be banned?

Ban the Orange Marches  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

To save money on polis costs all marches should happen on the one day allocated for them 

The Bigots can be sandwiched between the "empty headed Natters" and Gay Pride

I'd go with that - I reckon banning them completely would only serve to feed their bizarre sense of injustice. One big one a year where everybody with any sense would give it a body swerve, and none of these daft wee practice walks they seem to do consistently where one band will shut down an area to traffic while they wheeze down the local main street.

Let's face it, if you have to practice walking from A to B, then public opinion's the least of your problems.

3 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Reports on social media that Orange marchers were spitting in the faces of kids today. A couple of years ago they spat in the face of a priest in Glasgow. I saw them doing their synchronised waddle through Glasgow today and couldn't help but notice their route slithered past as many Catholic churches as possible.

I'm all for freedom of expression but this is akin to letting kiddy fiddlers march past schools.

It's intimidatory (not so) passive aggression and frankly has no place in the country Scotland aims to become.

Should we just bite the bullet and ban them? 

You’ve managed to squeeze several completely incorrect assertions into one relatively small post.

Cap doffed, sir!

2 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

Put them in a field & let them march to their hearts content. Shite like that shouldn’t be allowed to inconvenience the public in general at the the expense of the general public. 

They don’t want to march in a field or in a hall

Why?

Because it’s all about intimidation, a reminder to Catholics who is boss and that they’re not really equals to them. 

58 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

I’m a Catholic and can honestly say I’m not remotely bothered by them marching around, past churches or whatever. What does it matter? 

Anti-social or criminal behaviour should be dealt with accordingly. I don’t believe in collective punishment. 

Banning would make huge martyrs of them and more problems would be created than solved by such a measure.

Good to see at least one voice of sanity amongst the hate 🗽

Surprised at SD though.

47 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Any attempt to ban them or apply conditions relating to charging for policing would open the door to banning or further restricting legitimate protests.

That said a zero tolerance to any sectarian actions and routing the parades so they don’t pass catholic churches would be legitimate.

You advocate for ‘zero tolerance’ to members of one collective then you’ve got to have zero tolerance approach to every other protest and that wont be accepted because people rightly or wrongly believe that their opinions/causes are righteous and beyond ‘zero tolerance’ approaches or are emboldened by such an approach. 
Personally think that the cost to the taxpayer from these events is staggering, a major walk in Glasgow is costing millions either with policing costs, lack of business in the city, traffic diversions etc. 

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Unless you're taking cues from losers like @The_Kincardine then no, Indy marches wouldn't be banned because they aren't full of purple faced, catholic-hating gargoyles. A few weirdos I'll give you. 

One always knows when the empty-headed Jupe comes a-calling you'll get a post of ignorance when he references someone (me in this case) not involved in the discussion.

If they're all just about celebrating different cultures and not about intimidation and bigotry etc, and they respect each others' beliefs as much as they wish those others to respect their own, why can't there just be one big, happy annual event to include all whether loyalist or republican?

Imagine alternate bands and lodges intermingling in one big, happy festival of love. You could have the Larkhall Orange and Purple Sons of William proudly marching along, followed by the Parkhead Emerald Republican Bobby Sands Flute Band, while all the Celtic and Rangers top wearing followers stand on the pavements waving their flags and congratulating each other on how well turned out their respective groups are, and how they are enjoying the heady mix of beautiful tunes and culturally inclusive lyrics.

They could even incorporate one of those 'Anybody, Everybody' type slogans to dispel any fears of intimidation and make everyone feel welcome. 

One big one off parade. That could work, right?

15 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You advocate for ‘zero tolerance’ to members of one collective then you’ve got to have zero tolerance approach to every other protest and that wont be accepted because people rightly or wrongly believe that their opinions/causes are righteous and beyond ‘zero tolerance’ approaches or are emboldened by such an approach. 
Personally think that the cost to the taxpayer from these events is staggering, a major walk in Glasgow is costing millions either with policing costs, lack of business in the city, traffic diversions etc. 

I personally don’t believe every march or protest should be treated equally 

I look at something like Pride, that’s about equality and inclusiveness, whereas the OO is a hate march.

One of the issues with OO marches in Glasgow is that the bigots travel from across Scotland and NI to participate 

This helps gives the impression it’s solely a Glasgow/West of Scotland problem 

The vast majority of Catholics live in the greater Glasgow area within Scotland. That’s probably why it’s so popular for the bigots to come

Purely selfishness here as a Glaswegian but if they can’t ban the marches outright, they should at least be telling the bigots from outwith Glasgow and Scotland to f**k off.

Let them march at home 

11 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I look at something like Pride, that’s about equality and inclusiveness, whereas the OO is a hate march.

One of the issues with OO marches in Glasgow is that the bigots travel from across Scotland and NI to participate 

The vast majority of Catholics live in the greater Glasgow area within Scotland. That’s probably why it’s so popular for the bigots to come

Purely selfishness here as a Glaswegian but if they can’t ban the marches outright, they should at least be telling the bigots from outwith Glasgow and Scotland to f**k off.

Let them march at home 

Yeah the ‘free speech for all’ position is a fallacy.  

8 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Let them march at home 

Thats my point, i dislike the Orange Walks, but they do have the right to protest and express themselves. You get disorder and crime happening at pride too mate, any event like those will attract a fringe of people who struggle to function in society without committing crimes. Freedom of information shows that. 
People who advocate for ‘zero tolerance’ cant say that the Orange Walks should be policed with Zero Tolerance for even the most minor antisocial behaviour offences and then advocate that an indy march or say pride or BLM should be allowed to not have a zero tolerance approach dont really understand how that’s not an option in a fair society. 

54 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

They don’t want to march in a field or in a hall

Why?

Because it’s all about intimidation, a reminder to Catholics who is boss and that they’re not really equals to them. 

Who really cares though? They are an absolute underclass.

Those who would ban Orange Marches are really no better than those they wish to see banned. 

It’s very much a slippery slope when people hit out with “I believe in freedom of speech/freedom to protest but…..”. It’s just another form of intolerance and they think their intolerance is better than other intolerance. 

8 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Those who would ban Orange Marches are really no better than those they wish to see banned. 

It’s very much a slippery slope when people hit out with “I believe in freedom of speech/freedom to protest but…..”. It’s just another form of intolerance and they think their intolerance is better than other intolerance. 

All Lives Matter actually 

43 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah the ‘free speech for all’ position is a fallacy.  

Pretty much, 

you have to set the bar pretty high for thigs to get prohibited otherwise you run the risk of any other form of protest or assembly being crushed under the weight of the state. police could take a heavy hand against trade union pickets or even simple boring shit like local councils seeking to curtail local gala days because 12 fixed penalty's were issued for alcohol and antisocial behavior offenses under the same " zero tolerance" policy.  

don't embolden the hidden gestapo in the authorities 

We have to call a halt to anti-Irish bigotry in Scotland and those calling for a ban on a Scottish organisation with strong Irish roots from celebrating their culture are simply pandering to the obsessed, the bigoted and feeble-minded.

Edited @virginton

Edited by The_Kincardine

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

We have to call a halt to anti-Irish bigotry in Scotland and those calling for a ban on a Scottish organisation with strong Irish roots are simply pandering to the obsessed, the bigoted and feeble-minded.

Who has called for the banning of an organisation?