Scotland u21s v Turkey u21s

Steven W

Been totally outplayed so far. No wonder people aren't keen on the U-21 shit but will jump through hoops to work with Clarke.

Just now, The Moonster said:

I find U21 International football a waste of time at the best of times but when you've got a dumplin' like him running the show it's a shitshow. The first team have a very distinct style now, the 21s should be playing the same way but they just hoof it. 

That last sentence is the one.

Stevie Clarke should be in a position where he dictates the style of play the U21's go with.

That way any players ready for the move up are already versed in what's expected.

It's a damning indictment of the sfa that we don't have a national style of play.

I spent 5 years in the Netherlands 30 years ago and everyone from coffee shop teams up knows the way they're supposed to play

1 minute ago, MarkoDevilovich said:

Stevie Clarke should be in a position where he dictates the style of play the U21's go with.

That way any players ready for the move up are already versed in what's expected.

It's a damning indictment of the sfa that we don't have a national style of play.

I spent 5 years in the Netherlands 30 years ago and everyone from coffee shop teams up knows the way they're supposed to play

We don't have enough players for that. The senior team found their shape to fit in the good players. The 21s need to do the same.

7 minutes ago, MarkoDevilovich said:

Clarke has no style of play.

The whole formation is based on getting tierney and robertson in the same team. And our attacking style relies on John Mcginn being able to get about the park and support our forwards.

You can't just magic up a Tierney and Mcginn for the U21s

There is a good argument that the U21s should be starting with a back 5 to give our two better players  in Doig and Ramsay more freedom

Just now, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The whole formation is based on getting tierney and robertson in the same team. And our attacking style relies on John Mcginn being able to get about the park and support our forwards.

You can't just magic up a Tierney and Mcginn for the U21s

There is a good argument that the U21s should be starting with a back 5 to give our two better players  in Doig and Ramsay more freedom

That first line is absolute nonsense.

As for Doig and Ramsey being our better players - they've both been horrible tonight

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Turkey have more experience, better athletes and a few quality players.

The Scotland group is extremely weak. Other than Ramsay and Doig no one else who started is playing at a decent level. We are possibly suffering due to the lockdowns but it's a poor group of players. They could be better than this with decent coaching.

That’s fair enough but it’s not like Turkey are a team heralded as having a bright future or a history of good youth teams like a Netherlands or Belgium. They look tidy enough, don’t get me wrong, but Scotland have made sure of that. I would have expected a lot more quality on the ball from the Scottish players.

One of the qualities that has helped the first team get better in recent years, in my opinion, is having guys like McGinn and Gilmour who look comfortable when under pressure and can pick a pass without resorting to aimless lumps up the pitch. Both of these guys have came through the youth teams in the recent past, but no one that I’ve seen tonight looks like they will get anywhere close to those guys. 

It seems like Gemmill has faced criticism for his tactics/general managerial ability for almost as long as I can remember. There’s got to be better than him out there who would be willing to play a better brand of football that would be advantageous to the development of our youth teams. This has been an absolutely dire performance from the very first minute. 

9 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

How anyone can watch Scotland under Steve Clarke and come away with this pish is beyond me. 

1 minute ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

That first line is absolute nonsense.

As for Doig and Ramsey being our better players - they've both been horrible tonight

Ok tell me about Steve Clarke's style. For the first dozen games he fucked about with all sorts of shapes and personnel. It wasn't until the playoff wins that he realised he should just play Tierney at LCB and Robertson at LWB.

Is his style right now with scotland the same one he had with Killie? No.

Doig and Ramsay are being stifled in this system because the team is so negative. They cannot go forward. There are arguments about how good either player actually is but they are still the stand outs in this age group.

6 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

That’s fair enough but it’s not like Turkey are a team heralded as having a bright future or a history of good youth teams like a Netherlands or Belgium. They look tidy enough, don’t get me wrong, but Scotland have made sure of that. I would have expected a lot more quality on the ball from the Scottish players.

One of the qualities that has helped the first team get better in recent years, in my opinion, is having guys like McGinn and Gilmour who look comfortable when under pressure and can pick a pass without resorting to aimless lumps up the pitch. Both of these guys have came through the youth teams in the recent past, but no one that I’ve seen tonight looks like they will get anywhere close to those guys. 

It seems like Gemmill has faced criticism for his tactics/general managerial ability for almost as long as I can remember. There’s got to be better than him out there who would be willing to play a better brand of football that would be advantageous to the development of our youth teams. This has been an absolutely dire performance from the very first minute. 

Turkey have a few players who look quality. The Galatasaray winger was level above and the 4 and 10 look excellent.

Gemmell has to go but this age group were never to going to be anything other than also rans in this qualifying group.

Edited by Detournement

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

How anyone can watch Scotland under Steve Clarke and come away with this pish is beyond me. 

He just tries to fit the best 11 players in and plays to their strength.

If Dykes plays we go long, if he doesn't we play the ball on the deck.

5 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Ok tell me about Steve Clarke's style. For the first dozen games he fucked about with all sorts of shapes and personnel. It wasn't until the playoff wins that he realised he should just play Tierney at LCB and Robertson at LWB.

Is his style right now with scotland the same one he had with Killie? No.

Doig and Ramsay are being stifled in this system because the team is so negative. They cannot go forward. There are arguments about how good either player actually is but they are still the stand outs in this age group.

If by not having a style of play you mean he doesn't have one set way of playing, that is fair enough.  That's not remotely the same as saying his set-up doesn't have a style of play.

Edited by Insert Amusing Pseudonym

Wonder if the U21’s will ever reach a major tournament again?
1996 since they last made it. A remarkably poor run, especially when you look at some of the teams who have made it.
Young Turks much too good for them tonight.

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Wonder if the U21’s will ever reach a major tournament again?
1996 since they last made it. A remarkably poor run, especially when you look at some of the teams who have made it.
Young Turks much too good for them tonight.

If Gemmill is in charge I'm no sure we'll ever win again

Just now, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

If by not having a style of play you mean he doesn't have one set ear of playing, that is fair enough.  That's not remotely the same as saying his set-up doesn't have a style of play.

It isn't just formation. As Detournement says some games we play on the deck, others we will try and stretch the game with long balls. He is never going to set up a team like he did for England at Wembley again.

It is all about getting the best players on the park and using them to their full extent. Which is why you see Tierney playing as a roving LCB and john McGinn being given license to go forward.

34 minutes ago, MarkoDevilovich said:

Its worked well for Holland, eh? Arguably the biggest underachievers in International footall.

A "national style of play" is a lovely concept, but strangling an entire generation of footballers to play a certain way seems stupid. In International football you play to the strengths of your strongest players.