East Fife v Alloa

Day before a massive game and still no thread so thought I'd kick it off.

Not too sure how chipper will line us up. I think we were very good in the 2nd half last week when Cawley moved further up the park (wasted at wing back IMO). Since chipper has come in we seem to be better in every department and look a far better team.

I think if Alloa win, it practically garuntees safety from the automatic relegation spot as there would be 13 points between us with 15 to play for.

Big couple of weeks but hopefully 3 points on Saturday sets us up nicely for Dumbarton the following week.

Can’t say I’ve rated East Fife on our previous meetings, but fair play to how they have fought their way back from looking doomed a few weeks back. 

Wont be an easy game at all, hopefully we approach it the same way we did the 2nd half last week. 

Hopefully Rice starts with Tags back on the right, although anyones guess who starts on the left - Howie certainly did himself no harm when moved out there last week. 

Would still like to see Boyd at left wing back though. 

Totally different game from a few weeks back as Alloa are starting to regain their self belief and confidence. Think BR will start with 3 at the back, Boyd in the left sided wing back. Hopefully start Sammon and Henderson up top, although Henderson needs to keep the work rate up as very poor first half last week against Peterhead. Hopefully get result and other go In our favour and close the gap on Clyde.

Really good 3 points and decent results for us elsewhere as well. 

First comfortable afternoon we’ve had all season and I can’t think of Morrison having a save to make until right at the end. 

First half Alloa struggled to find a final ball, although I felt we did pass the ball around well. 

Second half was the same until the first change/goal. I would have taken Henderson off rather than Sammon as he was absolutely murder up to that point, although he finished much stronger. 

After the carry on at the last game between the sides it was nice to get the rub of the green from the ref this time - didn’t think the first penalty shout was a foul, but the 2nd one looked pretty much a stonewaller from my angle. 

Decent performances throughout the team but Robbo stood out as being head and shoulders ahead of everyone else on the pitch, thought he had a fantastic game today. 

First time I’ve really been close enough to hear Brian Rice during a game and it was great to hear him coaching the players through the game. He was constantly talking to individuals to get them in to the areas he obviously wanted them playing in. Was refreshing to so that in action given what we had earlier in the season. 

Edited by Kevchenko

Need to wait and see properly in the highlights but I didn't think watching online that the second shout was a penalty. We'll see later on anyway. 

Certainly a well deserved 3 points. Had so much of the ball but struggled to break East Fife down and the longer it went at 0-0 there was a concern that we might concede. After we scored and with East Fife coming out more we could have had more than 3. The East Fife TV commentator kept saying there was nothing between the sides until we scored but I thought we were better throughout, struggling to recall 1 East Fife effort on target the whole game. 

Would agree with Kevchenko about Henderson, I haven't been impressed with him of late with an awful lot of moves breaking down around him. He hasn't ever been a team player for Alloa but worth keeping in for his goal threat and ability to create something out of nothing, but right now he is very fortunate to be starting. Hopefully getting the goal will give him a boost and he can find some form again. Great credit to the manager and players, that's 11 points from the last 6 and it could easily have been 15 too. 

Need to keep it going with another win next week. 

Brilliant to follow up last week's win with another three points. Sounds like it was well deserved and as comfortable a win as we've had this season.

Pleased that BR made the one obvious change, moving Taggs to the right, even if that meant Kev remained as a wing back ( he'll do a job anywhere).

We're nearly safe now and I expect in two or three weeks that will be confirmed.

Main thing for me know is Kev getting a testimonial season next year.

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Alloa must be wondering what could’ve been if they’d had a decent manager from the start. 

We were wondering that all season. Alloa this season should have been an easy enough job, the nucleus of the squad was very decent and there was money to add to it. Took real managerial incompetence to be as bad as we were under Ferguson. Had he stayed on I'm sure we'd be 9th and possibly even 10th at this stage. 

I did wonder what he was thinking last night as Kelty clinched the title, a title they would probably still have won had he been there. Such a bizarre decision from him to walk away from such an easy gig. And Alloa win again with 1 defeat in 6 since he left. But in reality he was probably only thinking about what he is going to say to the Record this week about the Old Firm game. 

2 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Alloa must be wondering what could’ve been if they’d had a decent manager from the start. 

Without being conceited we should have been comfortably in the playoffs. As much as Henderson was the only hope of scoring for a while (as the lone forward) there just wasn't enough goal scorers elsewhere to be proper title challengers.

Riceball on the other hand creates lots of chances. King, McIver, Sammon and Howie all could have been easily on the scoresheet on another day yesterday. It's night and day in terms of enjoyment factor.

9 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Given some of the players in your squad it is fair to say the play offs were an achievable target. Always liked Rice as a manager, think you’ll go well next year. 

And something you won't want to hear is how he has been playing Craig howie and he has done well 

and gaining confidence , He looked to be on the way out when the ex manager was here .

Kelty and possibly QOTS or Dunfermline next season not an easy league to be in 

12 hours ago, Waspie said:

I did wonder what he was thinking last night as Kelty clinched the title

That crossed my mind as well , 2 bad decisions and one good one  defined our season

MM and BF both royally F up .

On 27/03/2022 at 08:14, SLClyde said:

On Saturday with all enthusiasm for the game and season leaving my body, I got wondering not only why the hell did Alloa hire Barry Ferguson but why the hell did Barry Ferguson leave Kelty. His deficiencies as a manager were masked by Kelty's budget. If he'd stayed at Kelty, he'd be picking up a League Two winners medal this season and going into League One with the budget to go out and hire a Championship standard team.

Even if he faltered with Kelty at L1, he'd be able to leave with his reputation relatively still intact.

Don't be fooled . 

Barry left Kelty before he was pushed. I heard a whisper that they were unhappy with the spend and the progress of the club . Yes they got promoted but they laboured against a team that really were struggling in Brechin last season . I just don't accept that he would have left to join Alloa if all was rosy behind the scenes at Kelty . 

Remember Kelty have a player budget that way exceeded anything that Alloa would have been able to offer albeit I heard he was well looked after at the recs in terms of wages. 

Alloa a huge step up as was League 1 from the lowland league and ever league 2 when he was there with Clyde. 

A glittering career as a player does not mean a jot when trying to coach and manage in the lower echelons of the Scottish game.  He had a great foundation at Alloa inheriting a brilliant experienced squad but it just never worked and recruitment wasn't good enough . Will be glad to see the end of this season hopefully with our league 1 status in tact . 

7 hours ago, Oweny said:

Don't be fooled . 

Barry left Kelty before he was pushed. I heard a whisper that they were unhappy with the spend and the progress of the club . Yes they got promoted but they laboured against a team that really were struggling in Brechin last season . I just don't accept that he would have left to join Alloa if all was rosy behind the scenes at Kelty . 

Remember Kelty have a player budget that way exceeded anything that Alloa would have been able to offer albeit I heard he was well looked after at the recs in terms of wages. 

Alloa a huge step up as was League 1 from the lowland league and ever league 2 when he was there with Clyde. 

A glittering career as a player does not mean a jot when trying to coach and manage in the lower echelons of the Scottish game.  He had a great foundation at Alloa inheriting a brilliant experienced squad but it just never worked and recruitment wasn't good enough . Will be glad to see the end of this season hopefully with our league 1 status in tact . 

All that makes sense re Barry.

Although you were playing against one of the worst teams in EF history, you are a far better team , more organised, under Rice than good old Barry!

16 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

All that makes sense re Barry.

Although you were playing against one of the worst teams in EF history, you are a far better team , more organised, under Rice than good old Barry!

Annika could have organised us better than Baz🤭