Pros playing 5 a side

Back in the mid 70s I used to organise the fives for staff in the Glynwed which we played at Hallglen Centre. My boss was friendly with both John Blackley and John Brownlie of Hibs and Scotland who occasionally got invited to come along. I still see John Brownlie at my bowling club and I remind him regularly as to when he took a shot when I was in goals. I don’t think I’ve ever felt pain like that in my hands and wrists since when I stupidly tried to save his effort. As people say these guys are on a completely higher level than most of us.

I fondly remember playing fives with Joe Jordan back in the late sixties. Of course, in those days there was none of your AstroTurf nonsense, we all played on concrete or red ash and it was a true man's game. I spent a few days out cold in the hospital after JJ powered a shot off my puss - great times. The game died alongside leather balls, I tell you! 

Remember playing 5's at the Pitz in Hamilton in a league set-up in the early 90's and we had Willie Irvine former Hibs centre-forward in our team. I remember doing all the grafted battered and bruised stuff and laying the ball back to Willie for all the glory to strike sweetly from any angle, the ball never raised above 6 inches from the deck, it was apparent that the auld pro's were a class above......... 

It's an absolute nightmare when a guy who can actually play football shows up at our five asides, it just ruins the fun for the unfit cloggers. One of the regulars nephews played pro youth with a top flight club and he used to come along when we were short. Thankfully he had to stop when he signed as a pro at 16, by that point no one could get near him and his team were winning pretty much every week. He never made the cut and was playing Lowland League last i heard. Had a few junior players show up over the years too, bad darts.

Didn't Armand One make an appearance at the PNB fives one year?

4 hours ago, Lex said:

It's an absolute nightmare when a guy who can actually play football shows up at our five asides, it just ruins the fun for the unfit cloggers. One of the regulars nephews played pro youth with a top flight club and he used to come along when we were short. Thankfully he had to stop when he signed as a pro at 16, by that point no one could get near him and his team were winning pretty much every week. He never made the cut and was playing Lowland League last i heard. Had a few junior players show up over the years too, bad darts.

Didn't Armand One make an appearance at the PNB fives one year?

He did indeed play at the 5's

The 5's were a great day out and it is a shame they fell by the wayside.

I remember playing for a makeshift outfit in St Andrews 1988 against a Fife Fire Brigade 11 who were a decent team. They had a guy called Paul Huskie who I remember well from watching East Fife in the early 80's as a young man. Couldn't get near this guy. So good on the ball. Proved that we really don't appreciate decent players at a lower level. Game ended 2-2 and I got both ours. 😋

12 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I used to play Fives and a current Celtic and Scotland player used to come and play.

He was also on our team in a tournament and missed a penalty in a shootout.

p***k.

Did his brother play too? 🤔🤪