Austria v Scotland

45 minutes ago, monthefife said:

There is no question that we've made a vast improvement since Steve Clarke has taken over.

However, I still can't help but feel somewhat deflated about throwing away what should have been two strong, convincing, clean-sheet wins against two strong opponents. That will have some effect on the players' confidence. Clarke and his staff needs to address this for the WCQ match(es) ASAP. At this rate I think we'd only scrape past Ukraine but get rinsed against Wales. 

The substitutions against Austria were completely baffling.  

Ukraine are a decent side, so there is nothing wrong with scraping by them.

I’m not sure what evidence suggests we would get rinsed by Wales...

1 hour ago, monthefife said:

There is no question that we've made a vast improvement since Steve Clarke has taken over.

However, I still can't help but feel somewhat deflated about throwing away what should have been two strong, convincing, clean-sheet wins against two strong opponents. That will have some effect on the players' confidence. Clarke and his staff needs to address this for the WCQ match(es) ASAP. At this rate I think we'd only scrape past Ukraine but get rinsed against Wales. 

🤮

Austria's first goal reminded me of some of the national team's atrocious defending in relatively recent times.

How could the two central defenders ( in the area ) not decide between them which of them was to mark the Austrian scorer ?

Three at the back might look suspect if we do not have the right defenders

10 hours ago, monthefife said:

Got to remember they were friendlies, its a complete different mindset. We would have seen those games out.

Each to their own, but I couldn't imagine us getting "rinsed" against Wales tbh. I think it will be a tight game.

On 29/03/2022 at 11:16, Tartan Dave said:

Playing guys like Tierney and Jack is needless tonight with their injury records, imo. 

Called it.

Did he need to play 180 minutes for Scotland at this stage of the season while he has lots to play for for both Arsenal and Scotland.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/03/2022 at 08:21, Illgresi said:

I mentioned this last night. It was because with just Ferguson and the rat in midfield Austria were passing direct and bypassing our midfield. This put us under pressure more often than not because Patterson and Hendry aren't particularly good at defending.

By dropping the rat deep it allowed him at cut off passing lanes, while McGinn and Ferguson counter-pressed to prevent/slow down the quick ball. Worked very effectively until the subs came on and the shape went a bit to shit.

For the first 25 minutes their wide right midfielder (Valentino Lazaro) got a lot of joy down our left and we couldn't really create much going the other way. The change to 352 helped with that, we've seen it before too -  Steve Clarke made a similar decision for probably similar reasons against Israel in March 2021 where he added dropped John McGinn deeper to join the starting midfield pair of Callum McGregor and Scott McTominay.

We didn’t start the game well but then we had a better control. I made a slight tweak in game, had a better control approaching half time.

There were times in the first half where it was a little bit too easy for the Israelis to get out the opposite side of the game. They caused us a few problems with the width that they had in midfield, but when we made the change to go to a more flat three we occupied the pitch better, we controlled the game better.

Steve Clarke, March 2021

https://theathletic.com/2482779/2021/03/29/scotland-israel-steve-clarke/

Edited by 2426255

In the first 25 minutes Andreas Ulmer played high to pin Nathan Patterson back and stretch the Austrian left wing. This created space for all three Austrian forwards to take turns dropping into that space or for Martin Hinterreger to drive into. We were quite narrow in the middle of the pitch and so Lewis Ferguson couldn't cover such a large space and this tactic caused us no end of issues.

image.thumb.png.838164dc098b0d810686db2d2a9db8ee.png

Edited by 2426255