Austria v Scotland

Gordon was excellent tonight gutted we never won this again throwing away a two goal lead,thought we played better against Poland but would loved a win here searching for positives another great set peice from Austin McCann some off our counter attacking was good but overall we have to try and tighten it up at the back

On viewing back the video I noticed after about 20 minutes of the first half we changed shape to the formation we used in the Euro 2020 games against the Czech Republic and Croatia. Stuart Armstrong and Che Adams formed a front two with Ryan Jack at the base of midfield supported on either side by Lewis Ferguson (right) and John McGinn (Left). 

image.png.547d1b6840233e2a9a67008fa81b6d33.png

Not sure why we did that, but it definitely happened. I kept on wondering why John McGinn was showing up repeatedly in left midfield and why it looked like we had two up top, but this is why.

McTominay replaced Jack at the base on 57 minutes, when Gilmour came on around 77 minutes McTominay took over where Ferguson was on the right and Gilmour filled in at the base of the midfield.

Edited by 2426255

Blowing a 2 nil lead is fkn rotten even if Austria were the better team its criminal blowing it. 

Hopefully that's the shite defencive performances out the way before the real games start again 

Edited by Gmfc 23

I hate it when fans have a go at players that play for a provincial club in Scotland. I've seen it with 3 players that played for Aberdeen and also I O'donnell for Killie/Motherwell. I hate it the way O'Donnell gets major abuse but he hasn't really let Scotland down. 

Lewis Ferguson is a talent and only 22, I've no doubt he will have a good career although at the moment he isn't ready to be a regular in the national team.

Edited by betting competition

Interesting game, and one that was more competitive than I expected.

Pros:
- our attacking movement is almost comically good. FIFA-esque sequences of play.
- there appears to be a really solid level of confidence and belief within the squad.
- we have the likes of Fraser, Turnbull and (to a lesser extent) Forrest to add to this squad.
- Craig Gordon is the business
- Adams looks like the most all-round, technically gifted forward we've had in my time watching Scotland (1989 onwards)

Cons:
- there was a weird passiveness to our play in most of the spells in between our attacking bursts
- again we've tossed away a lead. You could say Austria deserved something (they did), but if we are aiming to qualify through the playoffs, then these are the types of games in which we should be fortifying our ability to see out a lead
- there doesn't appear to be an adequate midfield replacement for Bilmour ™ & McGregor
- we still don't have a goalscoring "prong" up front. John McGinn is papering over a lot of cracks in that respect.

7 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Pros:
- our attacking movement is almost comically good. FIFA-esque sequences of play.
- there appears to be a really solid level of confidence and belief within the squad.
- we have the likes of Fraser, Turnbull and (to a lesser extent) Forrest to add to this squad.
- Adams looks like the most all-round, technically gifted forward we've had in my time watching Scotland (1989 onwards)

Cons:
- there was a weird passiveness to our play in most of the spells in between our attacking bursts
- again we've tossed away a lead. You could say Austria deserved something (they did), but if we are aiming to qualify through the playoffs, then these are the types of games in which we should be fortifying our ability to see out a lead
- there doesn't appear to be an adequate midfield replacement for Bilmour & McGregor
- we still don't have a goalscoring "prong" up front. John McGinn is papering over a lot of cracks in that respect.

image.jpg

I think this was the best possible training exercise in many ways:

1. We stay unbeaten and confidence remains high despite.being about 6/10 (or should I say 6/11).

2. We get a bit of a boot up the erse from conceding the lead that Clarke can use pre-tbc game at some point.

3. We confirm our best 11/12/13 while also giving time to some excellent squad players to fuel competition. There is nothing wrong with any of our backups, they are just not equivalent to the first team when they all play together.

4. No injuries.

5. Super John McGinn is a baller.

9 hours ago, 2426255 said:

On viewing back the video I noticed after about 20 minutes of the first half we changed shape to the formation we used in the Euro 2020 games against the Czech Republic and Croatia. Stuart Armstrong and Che Adams formed a front two with Ryan Jack at the base of midfield supported on either side by Lewis Ferguson (right) and John McGinn (Left). 

image.png.547d1b6840233e2a9a67008fa81b6d33.png

Not sure why we did that, but it definitely happened. I kept on wondering why John McGinn was showing up repeatedly in left midfield and why it looked like we had two up top, but this is why.

McTominay replaced Jack at the base on 57 minutes, when Gilmour came on around 77 minutes McTominay took over where Ferguson was on the right and Gilmour filled in at the base of the midfield.

I mentioned this last night. It was because with just Ferguson and the rat in midfield Austria were passing direct and bypassing our midfield. This put us under pressure more often than not because Patterson and Hendry aren't particularly good at defending.

By dropping the rat deep it allowed him at cut off passing lanes, while McGinn and Ferguson counter-pressed to prevent/slow down the quick ball. Worked very effectively until the subs came on and the shape went a bit to shit.

9 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I mentioned this last night. It was because with just Ferguson and the rat in midfield Austria were passing direct and bypassing our midfield. This put us under pressure more often than not because Patterson and Hendry aren't particularly good at defending.

By dropping the rat deep it allowed him at cut off passing lanes, while McGinn and Ferguson counter-pressed to prevent/slow down the quick ball. Worked very effectively until the subs came on and the shape went a bit to shit.

Thanks for the explanation. I re-read your original post and it was spot on, very observant of you - well done!

That was much more of a counter-attacking performance which is fine if you're defensively solid but pretty damn risky when you're as ropey as we were last night.

There's definitely been enough encouragement in these friendlies but the manner of both could kill a wee bit of momentum, and last night's performance is as bad as we've been since the Euros.

Seems to be a severe over reaction to this game last night from some people. (more the social media warriors). I prefer to look at the positives from it - 2 very good goals/unbeaten run continues/no injuries/some nice football on the eye which is becoming more regular. yes, defensively we didn't look great but I have no doubt we wont be that sloppy come June when it matters. I've said before and I know its one that splits the fans but I'd have Mctominay RCB over Hendry all day long. 

10 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Pros:

Cons:
- there doesn't appear to be an adequate midfield replacement for Bilmour & McGregor

Some of his shot stopping was amazing last night, but lets not forget he almost cost us two goals from his lack of ability with the ball at his feet. If Austria had been slightly luckier with the bounce of the ball when he messed up two passes then it would have finished 4-2 and we'd all be slating him. 

1 hour ago, Elgin Macca said:

Seems to be a severe over reaction to this game last night from some people. (more the social media warriors).

I remember many people being despondent after the March games last year against Austria and Israel and saying that the WC Qualifying campaign was as good as over, but I re-watched the 1-1 draw away to Israel back without all the emotion months later and realised that Israel played really very well that night, asked us questions and we also played really well after making a few in-game adjustments.

It has been a similar story in this camp where the team (players and manager) have had to solve problems, especially last night. Poland and Austria are good teams - roughly comparable to Scotland - so it doesn't surprise me if sometimes they have the upper hand in a particular game. It's not a big shock, if anything It's healthy for the team not to have everything their own way and be forced to adjust and think and solve problems, deal with adversity etc and I think Austria deserve credit for a strong performance.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I remember many people being despondent after the March games last year against Austria and Israel and saying that the WC Qualifying campaign was as good as over, but I re-watched the 1-1 draw away to Israel back without all the emotion months later and realised that Israel played really very well that night, asked us questions and we also played really well after making a few in-game adjustments.

It has been a similar story in this camp where the team (players and manager) have had to solve problems, especially last night. Poland and Austria are good teams - roughly comparable to Scotland - so it doesn't surprise me if sometimes they have the upper hand in a particular game. It's not a big shock, if anything It's healthy for the team not to have everything their own way and be forced to adjust and think and solve problems, deal with adversity etc and I think Austria deserve credit for a strong performance.

I think people are also underestimating the quality of side Austria have, partially after we beat them last time and because they had a poor World Cup qualification by their standards. If you look through their side it is full of players playing at very decent levels. It is still a side who dispatched North Macedonia and Ukraine at the Euro’s and ran the eventual winners incredibly close. 

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I think people are also underestimating the quality of side Austria have, partially after we beat them last time and because they had a poor World Cup qualification by their standards. If you look through their side it is full of players playing at very decent levels. It is still a side who dispatched North Macedonia and Ukraine at the Euro’s and ran the eventual winners incredibly close. 

For Euro 2016, they qualified having won 9 and drew 1, with a group containing Sweden, and Russia.  A sizable amount of that team is still playing for them.

It was an under-par away performance, against a second tier European side that we would want to be a peer.  If you switched the venues, the game would not have been played that way.

Not a great performance, but some experience shared, and some lessons learned (Ferguson isn't yet an answer, and Gilmour/McGregor are 100% starters if available). Useful preparation for Ukraine/Wales, as both teams are entirely comparable with Austria/Poland, and if anything, probably weaker.

There is no question that we've made a vast improvement since Steve Clarke has taken over.

However, I still can't help but feel somewhat deflated about throwing away what should have been two strong, convincing, clean-sheet wins against two strong opponents. That will have some effect on the players' confidence. Clarke and his staff needs to address this for the WCQ match(es) ASAP. At this rate I think we'd only scrape past Ukraine but get rinsed against Wales. 

The substitutions against Austria were completely baffling.