Austria v Scotland

Good team, happy with that. Looking forward to seeing Lewis Ferguson. I think he will be on the left (replacing McGregor) as he plays there for Aberdeen often and I'm expecting Ryan Jack to swap for Billy Gilmour as the right side centre mid.

Edited by 2426255

4 minutes ago, Ewan8472 said:

SSC does not agree with you ?!

This team has a good balance of consistency and looking at new things. Jack and Ferguson is new. Hendry, Armstrong and Robertson are consistency.  I like that Steve Clarke didn't just stick Ross Stewart or Craig Halkett in for the sake of it.

Edited by 2426255

Line up makes sense really. 

Most are in our strongest 11, with some of those who probably aren't just now (Hendry, Jack, Armstrong) all second in line so worthy of game time now incase they need to start a more important game.

One experiment with Lewis Ferguson but he's one you'd hope is now ready to really start pushing for every squad and has earned a chance.

Would've liked to see Clark (or Kelly) get a chance as we're still far too reliant on Gordon (terrified we end up with Gordon and Marshall injured when it matters) but I think club bias probably influences my thoughts there.

6 minutes ago, velo army said:

Ferguson is never going to be anything other than squad filler. Clarke obviously sees something so hopefully that first sentence ages like milk.

He's 22, has over 150 senior appearances, should break 15 goals this season and also hit double figures last season.

He might not become a star player but everything points to him becoming a squad regular at worst. Earned his shot, for me.

That midfield makes me very nervous. We’ve become accustomed to a certain level of control that I expect to go missing tonight.

I expect both Gilmour and McGregor to finish the game. I’d presumed Dykes wasn’t really fit enough to play, so maybe Brown to get the last 20.

I’d also imagine O’Donnell will come on when Patterson tires between 70 and 80.

Scoreline depending, one of Hickey, Halkett, and a goalkeeper to get on.

I’d like to win this, but would settle for an accomplished draw, with new faces settling in well. I do fear losing a fairly routine 2-0…

I think he needs to give the majority of the squad at least some minutes, yes we want to win the game but you have to balance that with the rest of the squad not feeling like they are wasting their time coming away.

It’s not that different from club football in that they still need to feel they have some chance of making the first team (even when we have a solid starting 11) if they perform well in the training etc or They’ll just get discouraged. 

We also do need to look at backup players for injuries etc so he has a good balance of experience, especially in defence, to keep us solid whilst giving the forward/midfield some chance to play and show what they can do.

I think he needs to give the majority of the squad at least some minutes, yes we want to win the game but you have to balance that with the rest of the squad not feeling like they are wasting their time coming away.
It’s not that different from club football in that they still need to feel they have some chance of making the first team (even when we have a solid starting 11) if they perform well in the training etc or They’ll just get discouraged. 
We also do need to look at backup players for injuries etc so he has a good balance of experience, especially in defence, to keep us solid whilst giving the forward/midfield some chance to play and show what they can do.

20 players either featured on Thursday or are starting tonight. Is that not enough?

19 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

That midfield makes me very nervous. We’ve become accustomed to a certain level of control that I expect to go missing tonight.

I expect both Gilmour and McGregor to finish the game. I’d presumed Dykes wasn’t really fit enough to play, so maybe Brown to get the last 20.

I’d also imagine O’Donnell will come on when Patterson tires between 70 and 80.

Scoreline depending, one of Hickey, Halkett, and a goalkeeper to get on.

I’d like to win this, but would settle for an accomplished draw, with new faces settling in well. I do fear losing a fairly routine 2-0…

Austria aren't the greatest to begin with, however they will be on a right downer (you would imagine) after being knocked out by Wales and the fact the Manager has also gone you'd think that they should be ripe for the taking, irrespective of the fact we're not at full strength.

I've taken the 13/5 anyway as it looks pretty good value, although will no doubt end up a mediocre 1-1 draw.....

10 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

20 players either featured on Thursday or are starting tonight. Is that not enough?

Yeah, it is. I’m not complaining about the team - I think it looks ok.

3 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Is Ross Stewart injured, or was there a cap on the number of players that could be named for the matchday squad? (Or has SSC just realised he is absolutely howlin'?)

23 maximum.  We called up 25 in total I believe?  Calling up more has become typical due to the potential for COVID issues.  We were able to name a 25-man squad for the Euros, but could only name 12 subs for each match.

I'd expect the same arrangement for the UNL games in June (though we may not end up with as many games because of Ukraine's position - we could technically have 6 matches to play, but naturally that won't happen).  For those, I'd imagine UEFA will allow for a higher number to be named.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He's a great player and obviously first pick by miles, but I don't think he's irreplaceable the way some of the others are given the depth we do have in the middle.

The midfield partnership between him and Gilmour has been crucial to our recent good form. He’s a key player. 

2 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

23 maximum.  We called up 25 in total I believe?  Calling up more has become typical due to the potential for COVID issues.  We were able to name a 25-man squad for the Euros, but could only name 12 subs for each match.

I'd expect the same arrangement for the UNL games in June (though we may not end up with as many games because of Ukraine's position - we could technically have 6 matches to play, but naturally that won't happen).  For those, I'd imagine UEFA will allow for a higher number to be named.

I’m sure there’s only time for 4 games in June. If they’re going to play the playoffs in June then I expect some of the UNL fixtures to be pushed back.