Austria v Scotland

5 hours ago, Donathan said:

The result for this match does not matter now that the UNL is used for seeding instead of world ranking. To be honest, if it wasn’t for UEFA forcing us to play two friendlies, I’d imagine SC and the staff would have opted just to play the one and have a get together. 

We’ve given the first team their run out to bridge the very long gap between the Denmark game and the June fixtures, but I don’t think it will do many of our players many favours to have them playing two friendlies in a week when they have the domestic run-in and then a very packed June international break to come.

I didn’t say don’t play. I said don’t make a B international out of a game that matters more than it seems.

Momentum matters. Being beaten 3-0 by the team that just lost to our potential opponents Wales, is absolutely not worth the perceived benefits of slightly more experience.

The idea that this game can be written off - come what may - is high risk, low reward.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm
Typo

5 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I didn’t say don’t play. I said don’t make a B international out of a game that matters more than it seems.

Momentum matters. Being beaten 3-0 by the team that just lot to our potential opponents Wales, is absolutely not worth the perceived benefits of slightly more experience.

The idea that this game can be written off - come what may - is high risk, low reward.

It’s not so much about giving the fringe players experience as it is about keeping the key players in cotton wool and maintaining good relationships with their clubs.

I think we fundamentally disagree on the importance of a positive result in this game. I couldn’t really care less about that tbh. 

We see it regularly in England. When Arsenal play their youngsters in the league cup, what and where is the benefit?

Arsenal regularly reach the latter stages of the competition and a lot of the youngsters who later form part of their first team get their first chance to play competitive football.

I heard unconfirmed reports that Austria have been hit by Covid:

• Chris Trimmel (Union Berlin) - Covid
  • Phil Lienhart (Freiburg) - Covid
  • Florian Grillitsch (Hoffenheim) - Covid
  • Louis Schaub (FC Cologne)  - Covid

adding to the withdrawals of:

• Xaver Schlager (Wolfsburg) - Club Agreement
  • David Alaba (Bayern Munich) - Club Agreement
  • Kevin Danso (Lens) - Injury
  • Dejan Ljubicic (FC Cologne) - Injury

https://www.skysportaustria.at/corona-fall-im-oefb-team-schaub-faellt-aus/

32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Trying to imagine how many of our players would have conveniently got covid if McLeish had still been in charge when all this was going on.

It’s a bit of a minter that they half-arsed qualifying knowing they had a playoff in the bag only to crash out meekly in the semi final.

Their manager probably has a lot of kudos built up given that they made the Last 16 at the Euros and took Italy to extra time. If it wasn’t for that he’d be in serious trouble. 

41 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Their manager probably has a lot of kudos built up given that they made the Last 16 at the Euros and took Italy to extra time. If it wasn’t for that he’d be in serious trouble. 

He is in serious trouble. This is largely expected to be Franco Foda's final game in charge as his contract runs out on March 31st 2022. 

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Trying to imagine how many of our players would have conveniently got covid if McLeish had still been in charge when all this was going on.

I feel kind of bad now that in the Scotland v Poland thread I was a bit suspicious of Robertson getting Covid and Alexander-Arnold pulling out the England camp at the same time with a hamstring.

It turns out though that he was isolating in the team hotel and is there now so I was being totally unfair and wrong. Sorry Robbo 🤣

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I feel kind of bad now that in the Scotland v Poland thread I was a bit suspicious of Robertson getting Covid and Alexander-Arnold pulling out the England camp at the same time with a hamstring.

It turns out though that he was isolating in the team hotel and is there now so I was being totally unfair and wrong. Sorry Robbo 🤣

This is surprising to me given that Robertson missed Liverpool's FA Cup game at Nottingham Forest due to covid. Something doesn't add up unless he travelled from Liverpool to the Scotland hotel whilst positive.

No point in picking sub goalies if they never get on the field in friendlies to see how they do. Kelly should have had 45 minutes against Poland and Clark Austria. We know how good Gordon is but he can't play forever can he?

14 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I heard unconfirmed reports that Austria have been hit by Covid:

• Chris Trimmel (Union Berlin) - Covid
  • Phil Lienhart (Freiburg) - Covid
  • Florian Grillitsch (Hoffenheim) - Covid
  • Louis Schaub (FC Cologne)  - Covid

adding to the withdrawals of:

• Xaver Schlager (Wolfsburg) - Club Agreement
  • David Alaba (Bayern Munich) - Club Agreement
  • Kevin Danso (Lens) - Injury
  • Dejan Ljubicic (FC Cologne) - Injury

https://www.skysportaustria.at/corona-fall-im-oefb-team-schaub-faellt-aus/

Austria have lost another two players from their squad:

• Stefan Posch (Hoffenheim) - Covid
  • Nicolas Seiwald (Salzburg) 

They only have at present 19 players not including two players who didn't train due to mild covid symptoms (Gregoritsch, Lindner) so they will be down to the bare bones, unless they call up replacements.

https://www.skysportaustria.at/weiterer-oefb-teamspieler-positiv-auf-corona-gestestet/

Difficult balance for Clarke to strike tonight. On one hand winning breeds confidence and it's important to maintain the unbeaten run going into the June matches. However, for a country at our level, there are no friendlies anymore as we need to take the Nations League playoff spots seriously. So it's the best opportunity to see new faces. I'd go with something like this:

Gordon

Hendry Hanley Tierney

Patterson                                     Robbo

Gilmour Jack Ferguson

Brown Adams

45 Minutes: Clark/Kelly, Dykes for Adams, McLean for Jack.

~20 sub appearances for Stewart and Hickey.

50 minutes ago, Streets of Raith said:

Difficult balance for Clarke to strike tonight. On one hand winning breeds confidence and it's important to maintain the unbeaten run going into the June matches. However, for a country at our level, there are no friendlies anymore as we need to take the Nations League playoff spots seriously. So it's the best opportunity to see new faces. I'd go with something like this:

Gordon

Hendry Hanley Tierney

Patterson                                     Robbo

Gilmour Jack Ferguson

Brown Adams

45 Minutes: Clark/Kelly, Dykes for Adams, McLean for Jack.

~20 sub appearances for Stewart and Hickey.

That's a decent balance between the core team and some new experience.  McGregor and Gilmour will likely both play, but one may sub the other.  Agreed on the back 5.

Austria look like doing what we do in the situation - half the team would pull out, and we'd meekly lose 1/2-0.  Would be nice to see the opposition do it to us for once.

Think McGregor is probably going to sit this one out. He's been overplayed for years now and could well see him being pumped by June unless he gets a few days off like this one.

I'd go

--------------------Gordon*

--------Hendry Hanley Tierney

Patterson------------------------ Robbo

---------------Gilmour Jack**

--------McGinn -------------Christie

-----------------------Dykes

*Kelly on at half time.
**This will be important in proving that (hopefully) the midfield pivot can function without it being McGregor and Gilmour in there.

If all's going well, maybe give Hickey a turn at right wing back, and bring Brown on for a good half hour or so.