Greenock Morton v Ayr United

This is probably the first game under Imrie which we go into with a bit of pressure as favourites to win - the other might have been Queen of the South at home, but our run under Imrie was far less established before that game.

This gives me a bit of the fear - as does McEntee's absence on international duty for Ireland's Under 21s. With McLean also in the knackers' yard, we'll need to either play a defender slightly out of position or change formation. I'd do the the former - putting Strapp at left centre back and Ledger over to his natural side again, with Russell as the wing back. Dunfermline may have just shown a viable model for how to restrict our formation though, so I wouldn't be against a tactical change instead. 

On the positive side, Ayr have selection headaches of their own in forward areas and Imrie finally being back on the touchline should give the team better focus. Ugwu for example has been needing an in-game bollocking for weeks to actually press the ball and opponent instead of just looking at them. 

I think that we're more likely to win but there's the distinct potential of us having a honking day at the office and a surprisingly comfortable away win. 

2-1 Morton. 

I've just looked at the league table, and that's some turnaround by Morton this season. Dare I even suggest that next season you might be vying for promotion? 

If Morton win then they are absolutely safe. We’ve arguably been in that position before when we played QOS and we shit the bed so hopefully Morton have a bit of a wobble here as well.

Bullen won’t do it but I’d go a bit more ballsy with the front three (O’Connor, Moffat, Gondoh) and let them do what they like whilst keeping Kenyon and Murdoch in midfield behind McInroy. Those three should be enough to protect the defence and McInroy will have opportunities to get forward as well.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

I've just looked at the league table, and that's some turnaround by Morton this season. Dare I even suggest that next season you might be vying for promotion? 

Pretty much any team should be eyeing a play-off spot next season (especially if Kilmarnock go up and only Dundee, Scottish football's natural clown, go down) but there would still need to be ruthless upgrade of our current squad. Imrie has got the most out of them this season, but to maintain this progress we need to upgrade in key areas of the park like central midfield. There's also no guarantee that we'll keep Hamilton or replace our loans with equivalent options, although Imrie's transfers in January have been encouraging. 

We're still at least one big win away from securing that status. We'll probably get it soon but winning on Saturday would make it very straightforward. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Pretty much any team should be eyeing a play-off spot next season (especially if Kilmarnock go up and only Dundee, Scottish football's natural clown, go down) but there would still need to be ruthless upgrade of our current squad. Imrie has got the most out of them this season, but to maintain this progress we need to upgrade in key areas of the park like central midfield. There's also no guarantee that we'll keep Hamilton or replace our loans with equivalent options, although Imrie's transfers in January have been encouraging. 

We're still at least one big win away from securing that status. We'll probably get it soon but winning on Saturday would make it very straightforward. 

Where's Jamie Lindsay playing his football these days?

(I know....but I cant be arsed searching).

Not looking forward to the very real possibility that we are 9th by 5 o’clock.

If Adeloye can’t start the most exciting part of the day might be 2pm when we find out what name Bullen has drawn out the hat to start up front.

And of course what wild substitutions he can conjure up this week…

If Ayr lose and results go against us, we will be favourites to go down after Saturday. After 2 defeats on the bounce, Bullen will have to try something new. Or he will just keep going with the same pish and hope it works. 

Ayr to lose but QOTS and Dunfermline to also drop points.  

1 hour ago, virginton said:

This is probably the first game under Imrie which we go into with a bit of pressure as favourites to win - the other might have been Queen of the South at home, but our run under Imrie was far less established before that game.

This gives me a bit of the fear - as does McEntee's absence on international duty for Ireland's Under 21s. With McLean also in the knackers' yard, we'll need to either play a defender slightly out of position or change formation. I'd do the the former - putting Strapp at left centre back and Ledger over to his natural side again, with Russell as the wing back. Dunfermline may have just shown a viable model for how to restrict our formation though, so I wouldn't be against a tactical change instead. 

On the positive side, Ayr have selection headaches of their own in forward areas and Imrie finally being back on the touchline should give the team better focus. Ugwu for example has been needing an in-game bollocking for weeks to actually press the ball and opponent instead of just looking at them. 

I think that we're more likely to win but there's the distinct potential of us having a honking day at the office and a surprisingly comfortable away win. 

2-1 Morton. 

I'm not sure about Strapp at centre back due to his lack of height.  I think we lost a goal at Inverness during the Gus era when he couldn't get a decent header on a long kick out and they scored.  Also might hinder the long throw tactic if he's not able to bomb up the wing - although most of the time his throws are wasted.  Might  go 4 at the back instead with Lithgow and Ledger at CB, and Strapp & Brandon at LB & RB.  As long as we don't see Muirhead deputising for McEntee or anything daft like that.

Absolutely dreading this game. I usually try and remain even slightly optimistic when we are on a recent losing run but I think we’ll be on the end of a comfortable beating on Saturday. Blunt up front with Adeloye out, and no creativity. Defence is fucking rank.

3-0 Morton. 

Edited by Calayrdonia

This one all depends on which Ayr United turn up on Saturday.

Bullen has had to try and create miracles after the clusterfuck that had been our season so far.

It could go either way in typical Championship style, but I fear this is the weekend that we are properly pulled into the quicksand.

If we had a full squad to chose from then I would probably have been slightly more optimistic, but naw, just can’t see it.

A win would be huge, especially if other results go out way.

Lose, then please make it by just 1 goal as it could come down to goal difference at the end of the season, with the bottom 3 all currently on -14 goal difference.