Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Not high enough IMO, If only we saw those kind of price increases starting during Covid across the board. Number of reports at the time that alcohol sales went up by over 25% in supermarkets and other outlets while huge swathes of the public spunked their furlough money on getting drunk is yet another scenario coming back to bite everyone on the arse through healthcare impacts and the obvious furlough deficits.

2 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Surely the beginning of the end for many pubs. Those sort of prices aren't sustainable as customers are increasingly not going to bother.

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

We are finally getting like the other Nordic nations! 😂

Been heading that way for a while, and increasingly so over the last few years.

56 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

For Brewdog pub customers, that represents a price cut.

The article mentions Brewgooder, not Brewdog.

50 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Not high enough IMO, If only we saw those kind of price increases starting during Covid across the board. Number of reports at the time that alcohol sales went up by over 25% in supermarkets and other outlets while huge swathes of the public spunked their furlough money on getting drunk is yet another scenario coming back to bite everyone on the arse through healthcare impacts and the obvious furlough deficits.

Drinking in pubs went down by about 100% at the same time. Don't think your argument makes sense here.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

When do we start food drops from low flying transport aircraft ?

Steady on, there's no need for that kind of profligacy. Wee bit of carbohydrate and sugar once a day is all the plebs need to keep them working.

If they want more than that, there's going to be plenty of dead homeless folk in the streets this winter.

Steady on, there's no need for that kind of profligacy. Wee bit of carbohydrate and sugar once a day is all the plebs need to keep them working.
If they want more than that, there's going to be plenty of dead homeless folk in the streets this winter.
Not sure the govt will be wasting valuable public funds on campaigns like "eat the homeless". Not when they have already made it clearer that people who are poor should simply get a better paid job

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
11 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Not sure the govt will be wasting valuable public funds on campaigns like "eat the homeless". Not when they have already made it clearer that people who are poor should simply get a better paid job

Billy already covered eating the homeless

Edited by Soapy FFC

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

There's a thought. I wonder if we'll start seeing government information style adverts about the Great British Blitz Spirit, all pulling together in the face of adversity, everyone in it together, sacrificing for the sake of The Economy. They could throw in some of Viz's Top Tips as survival advice and nobody would be any the wiser.

1 minute ago, Soapy FFC said:

Every time I see/hear anything about Jeffrey Dahmer, the first thing that pops into my head is always, "but then, I wasn't chased bare-arsed down the street by Jeffrey"  :lol:

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

What a shambles of a country this is 

I went back to work full time in April, salary of around £20k (single mum). You loose free school meals at £17k and with that the extra wee bit of money they gave you over the holidays (£2.20 per week day per child)and bridging payments from Scot government. 

It means that for families over holidays in not exactly huge salaries at least there's an option to feed their kids. I think Asda were doing a kids eat free at half term too. I know the above was any age.

As you say, what a country, child poverty is going to hit all time highs this winter.

Edited by RH33

34 minutes ago, BFTD said:

There's a thought. I wonder if we'll start seeing government information style adverts about the Great British Blitz Spirit, all pulling together in the face of adversity, everyone in it together, sacrificing for the sake of The Economy. They could throw in some of Viz's Top Tips as survival advice and nobody would be any the wiser.

It begins.

E32ED184-CA38-43D9-AE41-10EFBE37B4F3.jpeg

5432183C-90DB-4A7B-9E5C-88608B190D37.jpeg

B57B9EFA-B2B5-4475-BD63-55F2F983881F.jpeg

B23A5DB1-EE22-4CA9-8F4C-99E123E1582E.jpeg

A4CDD2FF-AAB0-4C49-B39C-6C6E07F0239F.jpeg

BB0C60F6-2B48-4DA7-8E5A-EF5F2B0E0A7C.jpeg

My monthly payment from bulb went from £70 to £111 on top of government grant, even though I am over £200 in credit. 
You can change this through "mybulbaccount".
They tried this with me as well. I was also in credit, and they tried to put my dd from £100 to £212.

Ovo asked me to increase DD from £130 to £146 even though i was over £300 in credit.

They also pay the £66 into my bank account - why not just keep it to boost my credit so I dont have tp pay more.

I put it up as they said they would do it anyway.

Earlier this week i checked my credit which is now £400 - and they now say they have calculated I should increase DD to £158

WTF is their maths genius.

Edited by MacDuffman

31 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:

Ovo asked me to increase DD from £130 to £146 even though i was over £300 in credit.

They also pay the £66 into my bank account - why not just keep it to boost my credit so I dont have tp pay more.

I put it up as they said they would do it anyway.

Earlier this week i checked my credit which is now £400 - and they now say they have calculated I should increase DD to £158

WTF is their maths genius.

And to think I couldn’t get a job there…

On 22/10/2022 at 20:20, virginton said:

There were literally full-term fixes available six months ago. Not that this deflects from the reality that inflation on energy and food is nowhere near as significant for someone on £45k per year as it is for someone on £25k. Get off your cross.

Full-Term fixes are really only useful if you never intend / need to move.

I can't imagine the early repayment penalty on them would be particularly competitive either.

23 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Full-Term fixes are really only useful if you never intend / need to move.

I can't imagine the early repayment penalty on them would be particularly competitive either.

You would be surprised.  Kensington had some really good offers where you could move house or even remortgage with minimal fees.  The only time the big penalties came in was if you wanted to pay off your mortgage.

Edited by strichener