Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, strichener said:
This will make no difference to council house tenants who normally see their rent rises in April.

Effective from April but budgeted for and announced well before that so will be interesting to see each Councils budget announcement in Feb / March next year.

I can't remember the last time Council rents didn't increase tbh 😂

8 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Does a ban on evictions mean that those that partake in regular 4am house parties, owning roosters, etc etc will be saying "what are you gonnae f***in dae aboot it?" for many months on end?

Considering landlords share information about tenants and require references, anyone stupid/antisocial enough to be behaving like that would likely be doing it regardless of a temporary moratorium on eviction.

Anyway, you're too old for this heidbanger nonsense. Turn the music doon and put yer cock away.

49 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:
I can't remember the last time Council rents didn't increase tbh emoji23.png

Edinburgh and Aberdeen didn't this year.

Angus's have gone up every year for about the last 20. TBF rents here are pretty cheap all things considered. 

5 minutes ago, Derry Pele said:

I’m sure it isn’t this simple, and I know it isn’t *the* answer, but how many solar/wind farms could we build with the £130 billion being given to energy firms

And what about tidal? Given we are an island I'm a bit puzzled why the power of the tides aren't being exploited. I know people will say there are technical difficulties, but surely they must be less than the technical difficulties involved in building a power station that splits atoms to generate power.

2 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

And what about tidal? Given we are an island I'm a bit puzzled why the power of the tides aren't being exploited. I know people will say there are technical difficulties, but surely they must be less than the technical difficulties involved in building a power station that splits atoms to generate power.

The entire world is still seeking a way to harness tidal power effectively and efficiently.  It’s the only truly predictable form of renewable energy and will make a fortune for whoever cracks it.

Tidal isn’t a valid energy source yet.

6 hours ago, Derry Pele said:

I’m sure it isn’t this simple, and I know it isn’t *the* answer, but how many solar/wind farms could we build with the £130 billion being given to energy firms

Probably loads, but that would do nothing to help right now.

42 minutes ago, Aufc said:

The issue is that there are some terrible landlords out there so then everyone associates landlords with these people.

The only acceptable landlords are accidental landlords who got landed with an inherited or otherwise property they can't sell. Provided they don't rip the pish out of their tenants.

Career and portfolio landlords are scalping c***s to a person. Hoarding property shouldn't be a viable business. 

Edited by GiGi

10 minutes ago, GiGi said:

The only acceptable landlords are accidental landlords who got landed with an inherited or otherwise property they can't sell. Provided they don't rip the pish out of their tenants.

Career and portfolio landlords are scalping c***s to a person. Hoarding property shouldn't be a viable business. 

How would you class Local Authority Landlords?

I think it will impact quite a few landlords who are mortgaged up whilst renting the same property out. Combined with increase in interest rates then I think a few will struggle.

Right. So is the correct thing to do let a few landlords who can afford multiple properties take a hit of a hundred quid a month, or let them pass that on to someone renting the property out?

I find the general reaction to this absolutely insane to be honest. It’s essentially letting the rich take a bit more of a hit than the poor, for the short-term, rather than the status quo of letting the rich fleece the poor permanently.

Let’s not forget that these poor landlords who simply must put their rents up are, in the main, working on generous profit margins. The worst that’ll happen for a relatively small number (those with mortgages, who are on trackers/fixed rates have ended in the last few months) is simply less profit over the next six months. They’re not going hungry here.

There’ll obviously be the occasional person who’s scunnered by this, there always is. And they’re in the awful position of… having to sell their asset likely worth upwards of one hundred thousand pounds.

I think landlords will be just fine.

Right. So is the correct thing to do let a few landlords who can afford multiple properties take a hit of a hundred quid a month, or let them pass that on to someone renting the property out?

I find the general reaction to this absolutely insane to be honest. It’s essentially letting the rich take a bit more of a hit than the poor, for the short-term, rather than the status quo of letting the rich fleece the poor permanently.

Let’s not forget that these poor landlords who simply must put their rents up are, in the main, working on generous profit margins. The worst that’ll happen for a relatively small number (those with mortgages, who are on trackers/fixed rates have ended in the last few months) is simply less profit over the next six months. They’re not going hungry here.

There’ll obviously be the occasional person who’s scunnered by this, there always is. And they’re in the awful position of… having to sell their asset likely worth upwards of one hundred thousand pounds.

I think landlords will be just fine.
I suspect landlords will lose a big fat zero yet are bleating as if their "business model" is no longer viable. They can only raise rents once in a year and even then have to give 3 months notice. Given rents are currently frozen for 6 months they are totally at it with their fake crocodile tears.