Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

It certainly won’t encourage people to get into the property rental business.

Good because it's a 'business' model based entirely on exploitation.

Hopefully the Maoist campaign pencilled in for the summer of 2023 will have a similar discouraging effect. 

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

House prices coming down 😅

House prices aren't coming down, ever. All that may come down is the rate at which they increase.

Surely the impending recession will take a chunk out of them? 

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

House prices aren't coming down, ever. All that may come down is the rate at which they increase.

Not necessarily. Historically, yes, house prices have tended upwards but nothing a good old recession can't temporarily send the other way.

12 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Not necessarily. Historically, yes, house prices have tended upwards but nothing a good old recession can't temporarily send the other way.

This is about it.  Any dip (and it’s a stretch there will be one) will be short lived.

While demand exceeds supply the prices will continue to rise.

21 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Yep, because the social housing we did have was sold off to become the private rental stock.

It wasn’t.  It was sold off (far too cheaply) to become private ownership stock.

Do you really think everyone that bought a house under RTB foind somewhere else to live and then rented out their ex Council gaff?

A wee moment's silence for all the landlords, and all the terrible things they have to deal with  :(

Amazing any of them bother TBH, especially all the MPs. Can't be much money in it.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It wasn’t.  It was sold off (far too cheaply) to become private ownership stock.

Do you really think everyone that bought a house under RTB foind somewhere else to live and then rented out their ex Council gaff?

I think there was a generational gap, ie couple buy council house in mid 80s, couple snuff it 40 years later. Children inherit, then either rent it out or as I see a lot here, sell it to property company who then let it out for double the going rate of neighbouring council houses. 

15 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Not everyone, but a substantial number. This is an old report (for England I assume), but I would imagine the situation will still be the same.

https://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2016/feb/10/right-to-buy-ex-council-homes-rental

47 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I knew people who bought their first flats at the end of the 80s, got hit with a double whammy of a falling prices and rising interest rates. Most of them had maxed out the mortgage they could get when they bought. If they sold they wouldn't cover what they paid so they'd still have a mortgage to pay on top of whatever they found to rent.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

We'll just keep them empty and not make any revenue at all while the costs to us stay the same or increase. 

Hahahaha ha ha ha. 

Yeah, that just reminds me of the similar drivel that we got when income tax was put up by 1% where, "Scotland faces a brain drain" and "hard working Scots will be forced to move South due to the unfair tax being put on ordinary hard working families".

🤣

I actually know quite a few people who rent out properties and at least one person who rents out five or six properties.  It'll be interesting to see the affect this has on them - minimal for most I'd think.

There is a huge housing crisis in Ireland at the moment with a massive shortage of homes.  At one point last week there were 700 odd homes for rent in the entire country with huge queues to view rental properties in Dublin etc.  The issues there are different to a single act of rent control though and have been building up for many years, since the Celtic Tiger boom.

Edited by ICTChris

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I actually know quite a few people who rent out properties and at least one person who rents out five or six properties.  It'll be interesting to see the affect this has on them - minimal for most I'd think.

There is a huge housing crisis in Ireland at the moment with a massive shortage of homes.  At one point last week there were 700 odd homes for rent in the entire country with huge queues to view rental properties in Dublin etc.  The issues there are different to a single act of rent control though and have been building up for many years, since the Celtic Tiger boom.

I can’t imagine it will have any impact.  This is a headline playing to the gallery to be seen to care more. We saw this all through Covid.

The ban on rent increases and evictions will last until the current crisis is over (at the latest)then be dropped.  Simple reason is that it will impact local government as well who are landlords.

This announcement will do nothing to either impact or fix the housing issues in the country.

Rent increases will happen as tenants leave and new ones arrive and evictions for people that refuse to pay rent will still carry on.

I don’t know how Councils set rents but I could imagine they charge all tenants in the same area the same amount for a particular type of house.  If they do then they’ll be worse off than private landlords as they likely won’t increase rents between tenants.  Their churn of tenants will be much lower though so scope for rent increases will be less.

I think it will impact quite a few landlords who are mortgaged up whilst renting the same property out. Combined with increase in interest rates then I think a few will struggle.

I’m presuming the eviction thing doesn’t work where the tenant just refuses to pay? I presume it’s only where the landlord decides to evict a perfectly fine tenant for no reason?

7 minutes ago, strichener said:

This will make no difference to council house tenants who normally see their rent rises in April.

Didn’t know this all happened in April.  Makes sense then this is initially scheduled to run until the end of March.

Councils will want their rents to increase.  All those wage rises they’re handing out won’t pay for themselves.