Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

7 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Spot on.

A good faith discussion is out of the question with most.

Then you have roasters jumping on your historical posts through the night to downvote them - bizarre behaviour.

When your wife has just given birth, it makes you realise that engaging with these people is a waste of time.  No doubt I'll be hooked back in at some point though! :D

Takes me back. I'm at the other end of that process now. Good luck with the new arrival.

3 hours ago, GiGi said:

The scary thing about 81% is how that will then impact on the price of just about everything else. Food, clothing, transport and anything you can think of that takes energy to produce. 

I predict a lot of things suddenly going on fire this winter and not for the warmth. 

Will those prices ever come down? Doubtful.

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

If the chippies and and other takeaways are going to be as badly hit as this dude, there'll be rioting in the streets... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-62466518

"A Chinese takeaway in Aberdeen has been hit with a £10,000 gas bill - 10 times more than what they would usually owe."

'kin 'ell! 

If he manages to pay that HMRC might be interested in where the money came from...

If only there was a way for the public's dependence on the energy suppliers to be reduced? 

Oh, wait, there is - solar panels! Pity that would reduce the amount bought from the big companies though.  I mean that couldn't be the reason why the Tories cut the solar panel incentives by a whopping 65% in 2016, just after the Paris climate agreement, could it? 

I wonder if they'll reintroduce anything similar? I 

(No, you're right, I don't, really.) 

3 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

If only there was a way for the public's dependence on the energy suppliers to be reduced? 

Oh, wait, there is - solar panels! Pity that would reduce the amount bought from the big companies though.  I mean that couldn't be the reason why the Tories cut the solar panel incentives by a whopping 65% in 2016, just after the Paris climate agreement, could it? 

I wonder if they'll reintroduce anything similar? I 

(No, you're right, I don't, really.) 

The reason that the subsidies were cut was due to the decrease in costs of PV.  If solar is such a good idea then it should be able to be installed with zero subsidy.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

The reason that the subsidies were cut was due to the decrease in costs of PV.  If solar is such a good idea then it should be able to be installed with zero subsidy.

I'll need to check what the up to date position is, as I've not looked for a few years, but there is generally a long history of governments encouraging and discouraging consumer choices by means of the tax system. When we first looked at solar, the repayment period was (IIRC) about 15 years which we felt was too long. I reckon it'll be shorter by now.  If the government wanted faster progress towards our climate targets, it shouldn't be beyond their wit to give more encouragement.  Hardly a budget goes by without discouraging smoking by taxes/duties or encouraging business investment and R&D by tax breaks.  I understand that they have agreed to remove vat on insulation, pv and air source for 5 years (if that survives the changes in government.) However I understand that there are no longer feed in tariff payments for new installations. If that's correct does that mean that "surplus" pv electricity is given away to the electricity generator for nothing?  Seems weird. 

Did I hear somewhere that rather than a feed in tariff there's some other payment? As I said, more research required... 

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

6 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

The truth is, solar just isn't cost effective and cannot be relied on.

You're never going to generate significant amounts in this country with it.

Yes you are.  A typical solar installation will generate roughly 60-70% of the amount of electricity a household uses.  About 40% of that will be consumed by the house and the other 60% exported back to the grid.

It isn’t as cost effective now with SEG as it was with FIT but you can save significant money on your bills with it, even before the current crisis.

The hardware is not actually that expensive but could be further brought down in price by buying at large scale.  What jacks the price up are rip off installers, which seems to be the norm across the renewables sector.  It’s viewed as a vehicle to move subsidies from the governments pockets, to the installers.

Solar wouldn’t solve the problem but  is certainly something that can help.

18 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I'll need to check what the up to date position is, as I've not looked for a few years, but there is generally a long history of governments encouraging and discouraging consumer choices by means of the tax system. When we first looked at solar, the repayment period was (IIRC) about 15 years which we felt was too long. I reckon it'll be shorter by now.  If the government wanted faster progress towards our climate targets, it shouldn't be beyond their wit to give more encouragement.  Hardly a budget goes by without discouraging smoking by taxes/duties or encouraging business investment and R&D by tax breaks.  I understand that they have agreed to remove vat on insulation, pv and air source for 5 years (if that survives the changes in government.) However I understand that there are no longer feed in tariff payments for new installations. If that's correct does that mean that "surplus" pv electricity is given away to the electricity generator for nothing?  Seems weird. 

No.  You get a SEG payment (around the 5p per kWH you export, your supplier sets the rate but you can switch SEG suppliers without switching electricity providers).  Not as generous as FIT was though.

ETA a caveat to SEG payments.  You have to have a smart meter to get them.  The hysterical part is only certain suppliers on some of their tariffs use the smart meter to read them.  Most of the time you have to take a photo of your export reading and email ut to them to get your payment so smart as f**k really.

Edited by Left Back

8 hours ago, strichener said:

In the context of electrical generation, what a curious statement to make.

2 hours ago, sophia said:

In the context of electrical generation, what a curious statement to make.

Not really.  Subsidies is one of the reasons why bills are rising.  It is not possible to be providing generators 50p+ per kWh and expect prices to stay in the low double digits, certainly not when you are switching off other sources of electricity.

We don't expect to get subsidies when we need to replace a roof on a house or upgrade radiators in a house.  Why should we expect to receive them for installation of energy converting equipment?

The other issue with solar panels is the environmental externalities associated with their production.

I take it we should be expecting a swathe of redundancies as later in the year as businesses either shut down temporarily or for good as they too struggle to pay their energy bills, perfectly timed for just before Christmas?