Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

13 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

You conveniently didn’t go into the full story, I wonder why? :)

Ms Maclean said she was not “suggesting for one moment” that such an option would work for everyone.

But she said those with extra capacity could visit job centres to apply for either more hours or better rewarded employment.

She added: “It may be right for some people, they may be able to access additional hours, but, of course, it is not going to work for people who are already in three jobs.

“That’s why we need to have the other measures, such as all the help we are putting into schools, the help with the local authorities … and that’s where we are going to target help to where it is most needed.”

Sounds like it’s general advice, and good advice at that.

People often want to blame the government for all their problems, whereas in reality it’s not as simple as that.

If someone is struggling due to the cost of living then you’ll often find a story behind it of someone not having saved and planned for the future.  Not saying the government shouldn’t try to make it easier for people, but blaming them for everything is crazy.

Alright, I'll bite. I'm not blaming them for everything - the rain I've just got caught in didn't appear to be Johnson's doing, for example.

However, I absolutely will blame them for

1. Over a decade of concerted and deliberate victimisation of the poorest and most vulnerable in society. The moron McLean this morning on KB's Sky show actually connected the Ukraine war as a reason for the "failings" of the Protocol. Not someone I'd take advice from on anything, to be honest. Just today's sacrificial sycophant, desperate to hang onto a ministerial car defend her boss's behaviour.

2. A tax regime which ensures those at the bottom of the economic heap suffer disproportionately in tough times.

3. Criminalising people trying to seek refuge from wars and attacks often carried out using the products of British "defence" manufacturers. Turning refugees into profit units.

4. Allowing our entire political system to be supported by dirty money, and actualy ennobling a Russian against Security advice - simply because he might bung a few millions to party funds. Failing to actually take any sanctions against Russia or Russians which jeopardise this cosy arrangement.

5. Lying like cheap watches to ensure the racist vote would carry them over the line in an election, then attempting to blame the EU for not being willing to change an international treaty which Johnson and his crew of fuckwits had signed up to in order to commit the biggest act of economic self-harm ever seen in exchange for another five years at the trough.

6. Failing in every single measurable way to govern this country in the way they are duty bound to, and not having the honour to admit their incompetence, venality, ignorance or mendacity. Actively killing off the poorest and most vulnerable, whose lives they are sworn to serve, in order to overfill the already bulging pockets of their masters with taxpayers money which will disappear into tax havens, never to see these shores again.

f**k 'em.

29 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Ms Maclean said she was not “suggesting for one moment” that such an option would work for everyone.

But she said those with extra capacity could visit job centres to apply for either more hours or better rewarded employment.

She added: “It may be right for some people, they may be able to access additional hours, but, of course, it is not going to work for people who are already in three jobs.

“That’s why we need to have the other measures, such as all the help we are putting into schools, the help with the local authorities … and that’s where we are going to target help to where it is most needed.”

People often want to blame the government for all their problems, whereas in reality it’s not as simple as that.

If someone is struggling due to the cost of living then you’ll often find a story behind it of someone not having saved and planned for the future.  Not saying the government shouldn’t try to make it easier for people, but blaming them for everything is crazy.

It's nice that she's clarified that the serfs will often be maxed out by three jobs. 

It might be "good advice" in that it is technically correct. It's in the same ballpark as reminding people to breathe for how necessary or practically useful it is. 

It's also massively patronising and insulting to assume that people haven't had this particular brainwave all by their stupid unwashed plebby selves. 

The government absolutely can and should be blamed for that. 

Not biting on that last paragraph, other than to call you an odious c**t. 

29 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It's nice that she's clarified that the serfs will often be maxed out by three jobs. 

It might be "good advice" in that it is technically correct. It's in the same ballpark as reminding people to breathe for how necessary or practically useful it is. 

It's also massively patronising and insulting to assume that people haven't had this particular brainwave all by their stupid unwashed plebby selves. 

Your typical MP will look at someone doing three jobs and think that's nothing compared to the multiple consulting and directorship positions that they hold.  Only three, what do they do in the other 27 days of the month?

1 hour ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

The only surprise about this dirge is that this obviously trolling PoS hasn't yet been emptied. 

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

Your typical MP will look at someone doing three jobs and think that's nothing compared to the multiple consulting and directorship positions that they hold.  Only three, what do they do in the other 27 days of the month?

Whenever one of them comes out with this shite, i check the register of interests. The last 3 have had no other paid jobs. Co-incidence? Or deliberate misdirection? 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Whenever one of them comes out with this shite, i check the register of interests. The last 3 have had no other paid jobs. Co-incidence? Or deliberate misdirection? 

Well most people would manage to get by on £84k + expenses.

Thing is with Durie, hes probably the epitome of the thicko Tory, sitting there eating his Shoprite own brand noodles with the heating off because he cant afford it whilst simultaneously wanking furiously over a picture of the Margaret Thatchler in a union jack g-string toting a gun shouting GOTCHA!!!!

Sad.

58 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Alright, I'll bite. I'm not blaming them for everything - the rain I've just got caught in didn't appear to be Johnson's doing, for example.

However, I absolutely will blame them for

1. Over a decade of concerted and deliberate victimisation of the poorest and most vulnerable in society. The moron McLean this morning on KB's Sky show actually connected the Ukraine war as a reason for the "failings" of the Protocol. Not someone I'd take advice from on anything, to be honest. Just today's sacrificial sycophant, desperate to hang onto a ministerial car defend her boss's behaviour.

2. A tax regime which ensures those at the bottom of the economic heap suffer disproportionately in tough times.

3. Criminalising people trying to seek refuge from wars and attacks often carried out using the products of British "defence" manufacturers. Turning refugees into profit units.

4. Allowing our entire political system to be supported by dirty money, and actualy ennobling a Russian against Security advice - simply because he might bung a few millions to party funds. Failing to actually take any sanctions against Russia or Russians which jeopardise this cosy arrangement.

5. Lying like cheap watches to ensure the racist vote would carry them over the line in an election, then attempting to blame the EU for not being willing to change an international treaty which Johnson and his crew of fuckwits had signed up to in order to commit the biggest act of economic self-harm ever seen in exchange for another five years at the trough.

6. Failing in every single measurable way to govern this country in the way they are duty bound to, and not having the honour to admit their incompetence, venality, ignorance or mendacity. Actively killing off the poorest and most vulnerable, whose lives they are sworn to serve, in order to overfill the already bulging pockets of their masters with taxpayers money which will disappear into tax havens, never to see these shores again.

f**k 'em.

Good post, WRK.  I'm not actually looking for bites though.. just reasonable discussion as always.

1- I can't agree that the Tories deliberately (or otherwise) victimise the poor and vulnerable.  I'd have to see exactly what she said before commenting on the supposed Ukraine/Protocol connection.

2- I don't agree about the tax regime.  The rich already pay far more tax than the poor.  I look at it differently and see a tax system that applies to everyone, with people able to climb the ladder and earn more if they see fit.  What we do need to clamp down on is big business using loopholes though, and I don't think the Tories have an appetite to do this, which is wrong.

3- I don't think the Tories criminalise refugees at all, but someone taking a life risking journey from France isn't escaping a war.. they're 'escaping' a safe country.  It's a very good point you make about our manufacturers making a profit from these wars, which is of course wrong.  We should not be meddling in the affairs of other countries across the world as if we are some sort of global policeman.

4- Completely agree with you, but I don't just see this as a Tory problem.

5- Completely disagree, especially with your 'racist vote' claim.  The very term 'racist' has lost all meaning due to it's overuse.  Also disagree about the treaty.

6- They don't actively kill off anyone.  People have free will.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Thing is with Durie, hes probably the epitome of the thicko Tory, sitting there eating his Shoprite own brand noodles with the heating off because he cant afford it whilst simultaneously wanking furiously over a picture of the Margaret Thatchler in a union jack g-string toting a gun shouting GOTCHA!!!!

Sad.

You're aff yer nut 🤪🤭

56 minutes ago, coprolite said:

You've completely wasted your time by typing out those points then.

I won't respond meaningfully to those who throw petty insults.

16 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

can't agree that the Tories deliberately (or otherwise) victimise the poor and vulnerable. 

Alongside prioritising their chums it seems to be the main plank of their world view.

2 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

You've completely wasted your time by typing out those points then.

I won't respond meaningfully to those who throw petty insults.

Oh shit, no. 

I'd been looking forward to hearing your views and engaging in a debate in good faith. 

Still, rules is rules. 

By the way, does this mean that ig everyone calls you a c**t you just won't post anymore? Seems like an opportunity 

2 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Crisis solved

It's a genius idea.

The hospitality industry and soft-fruit picking industry are crying out for people.  Get everyone signed up to second jobs.  Has the added bonus of never being at home ever so cuts down on your energy bills.  Solves everyone's problems.  Why did no-one think of that before?

7 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

but someone taking a life risking journey from France isn't escaping a war

They could stop nearly all the channel crossings overnight by permitting applications for asylum at embassies closer to where they're escaping from. Instead they want to ship them to Rwanda so they can start the long journey again, double bubble for the traffickers. The brazen hypocrisy and lies that it's about saving lives on the Channel is contemptible.  

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

They could stop nearly of channel crossings overnight by permitting applications for asylum at embassies closer to where they're escaping from. Instead they want to ship them to Rwanda so they can start the long journey again, double bubble for the traffickers. The brazen hypocrisy and lies that it's about saving lives on the Channel is contemptible.  

Can they not just stay in France and stop making these mental journeys?