Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

31 minutes ago, 101 said:

Have you ever heard of money laundering? Or forced labour?

No, but they sound great.

I'd ask how you get into those fields, but I'm guessing it's yet another area that you need to already have money to make money from  :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve never spent money in a beauty salon.  

FFS, man. Throw the missus a bone now and then.

Edited by BFTD

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

I wonder what it will take for the riots to start? We must be pretty close to that. It’s just a pity the ones you want to get to are so far away in London.

I can already hear them making claims about “woke left” rioters who have had it good for too long and they need to cut back on drinking out of Starbucks

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Also sneaked out yesterday is the collapse of Bulb alone will cost the UK taxpayer three billion pounds. In return the taxpayer will get… effectively, nothing. It isn’t a buyout, it isn’t a stake to be sold on in future, the company will be wound up.

This could’ve given £107 off every single energy bill in the country, for context.

Avro is also predicted to cost the taxpayer £750m, another £27 or so that could’ve come off energy bills. Another 30 or so firms have went bust.

The market has failed.

With Bulb the government effectively subsidised the customers.  Bulb customers on fixed rate deals were honoured whereas all the companies that went out of business had their customers moved to another provider and had their fixed price deals ripped up and moved onto a more expensive tariff.

What the Bulb fiasco shows is that it is the generators and not the retailers that are making the money here.  Probably together with financial speculators.  One measure that would quickly eradicate any profiteering is if the purchasers of the oil and gas were forced to take delivery rather than trade in paper obligations.  Of course our capitalist governments don't want to interfere in the financial markets.

Edited by strichener

55 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I can already hear them making claims about “woke left” rioters who have had it good for too long and they need to cut back on drinking out of Starbucks

If folk are anything like me, they'll have to cut back on a d@mn sight more than coffees.  Our latest energy statement came today. We are on a fixed tariff for 2 years which is less than the new so called unit price "cap", are on average using 1 kWh less electricity a day, and 23 kWh less gas a day and are still north of £400 in arrears. That deficit SHOULD come down over the summer but this energy price problem is going to knacker folk's finances for years to come, never mind the inevitable knock-on consequences for the economy as a whole. 

My wife and I can afford it but the Government really has to do something for those who can't. We won't be getting the Council Tax reduction, but even if we did, that would cover about one month of the increase in my direct debit, and for those not on a fixed rate, that'll get even worse later this year. 

I don't reckon the Tories get how much this issue more than any other will damage them. If it were just the very, very poorest suffering they would just stick up two fingers and let them starve. But it is more than that - middle earners suddenly feeling a lot poorer, many of whom are natural Tory voters. 

I'm not saying these folk will all flock to Labour but they might just stay home at the next election. That is, unless the Tories suddenly find a clue and do something to alleviate this crisis for all. Their little loan and £10 a month off the council tax mean nothing.

With Bulb the government effectively subsidised the customers.  Bulb customers on fixed rate deals were honoured whereas all the companies that went out of business had their customers moved to another provider and had their fixed price deals ripped up and moved onto a more expensive tariff.
What the Bulb fiasco shows is that it is the generators and not the retailers that are making the money here.  Probably together with financial speculators.  One measure that would quickly eradicate any profiteering is if the purchasers of the oil and gas were forced to take delivery rather than trade in paper obligations.  Of course our capitalist governments don't want to interfere in the financial markets.
Bulb didn't have a fixed rate, they only had 1 plan at the time of " special administration"(now 2 they've added another variable to include an overnight ev tariff) and that was variable.

I don't reckon the Tories get how much this issue more than any other will damage them. If it were just the very, very poorest suffering they would just stick up two fingers and let them starve. But it is more than that - middle earners suddenly feeling a lot poorer, many of whom are natural Tory voters. 
I'm not saying these folk will all flock to Labour but they might just stay home at the next election. That is, unless the Tories suddenly find a clue and do something to alleviate this crisis for all. Their little loan and £10 a month off the council tax mean nothing.
In simplistic terms, this is moving the breadline up when any decent society would be working to move it down

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

In simplistic terms, this is moving the breadline up when any decent society would be working to move it down

Yep - and nobody wants to see it approaching them

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Yep - and nobody wants to see it approaching them

I guess the silver lining is that as it approaches yer more traditional, aswell as newer Tory voters, they might think twice about whether its all worth it in order to tell brown people they have to go to Rwanda. 

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I guess the silver lining is that as it approaches yer more traditional, aswell as newer Tory voters, they might think twice about whether its all worth it in order to tell brown people they have to go to Rwanda. 

As well as stopping and thinking about who's interest the Tory party actually works for and helps.

22 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

I like this PPB from Alba. I hope to see a continuation in the tactic of going straight for the Westminster jugular and less bickering with other independence supporting groups.

Why are people suffering fuel poverty in an energy surplus Scotland?

Lest we forget Alba only exist because they prioritise the inspecting and unwanted touching of women's genitals before we get into which indy groups prioritise bickering with others. 

Less than a month after the fuel duty cut. I noticed today a litre of diesel is the same price as prior to the cut.
Didn't take long.
Shows what a sham Sunak's "help" was. Prices back up at that level and the loans barely covering bills. A tax dodging, poverty increasing c**t of a man.

I make no apologies for calling Sunak a c**t.

43 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Lest we forget Alba only exist because they prioritise the inspecting and unwanted touching of women's genitals before we get into which indy groups prioritise bickering with others. 

It was all going so well until "sex based rights" got a look in :yucky

Edited by 101

2 hours ago, jakedee said:

Less than a month after the fuel duty cut. I noticed today a litre of diesel is the same price as prior to the cut.
Didn't take long.

At the rate the price was rocketing at the time, the 'cut' amounted to what was effectively a one week rollback in price.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

1 hour ago, 101 said:

It was all going so well until "sex based rights" got a look in :yucky

I thought this was about the cost of living crisis. I posted a link about fuel poverty in an energy surplus nation.

You both appear to be referencing a very important issue....but very important to a small amount of people.

Fuel poverty already impacts hundreds of thousands in Scotland. More this coming winter.

There's nothing in that Alba PPB that really offends me, and most of the points they make about the COLC are on the money, but I can't vote for a party that conflates the actions of predatory abusers with those of trans and LGBTQ people, then uses that conflation to argue that rights should be denied to one group based on the actions of the other. That shit was tried before and we eventually moved past it.

Ok, I say 'can't vote for', but in reality I would rank them above the Tories in a 'vote until you boke' election, but there isn't an Alba candidate in my ward anyway, and in a direct election I would vote for other pro-Indi candidates, either SNP or Green.