Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

There clearly is in certain markets but I doubt your small retailers (cafes seemed to be the main victims this morning) are driving it, it's your multinationals that are making the killing. Sunak stands and at every opportunity says the main thing that will help the public during the CoL crisis is bringing information under control. There was talk last summer of it being back to mid single figs by this time yet it's as high as ever with food inflation absolutely rampant at 18%. Their one and only tactic is raising interest rates and so far that hasn't touched the sides. I expect yet more and bigger interest rate rises will now be the order of the day thus the ever quickening tail spin for Joe Public will intensify.

I would suspect the likes of tesco will be getting it from their suppliers who know that the likes of Tesco are able to pass it onto the end user. 

6 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Petrol and diesel being one massive cartel / scam. Prices are way over where they should be (based on oil prices). Its the "up like a rocket, down like a feather" pricing as usual.

Also, the differential between diesel and petrol (about 20p) is completely unjustified.

Do the tories challenge it? Of course not as most of the cost is tax....................

So much this. My local Tesco was 5p per litre more expensive than Dundee Tesco. When the Jet garage nearby reduced their prices, so did Tesco, now 2p per litre cheaper than their Dundee counterparts.

Area pricing is the biggest scam ever....

6 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

Just wait until the small CPI + 4% prices rises come into force with all the internet and phone suppliers. Of course these rises are all reasonable and completely justified no doubt. 

Already happened, my BT television/net is rising by 13.9% this year.

On 22/03/2023 at 12:56, Leith Green said:

Petrol and diesel being one massive cartel / scam. Prices are way over where they should be (based on oil prices). Its the "up like a rocket, down like a feather" pricing as usual.

Also, the differential between diesel and petrol (about 20p) is completely unjustified.

Do the tories challenge it? Of course not as most of the cost is tax....................

RAC getting in the media on this today.

Their take on the story is absolutely bang on, the wholesale price of both are the same, yet there is 20p difference at some retail outlets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65098942

Wonder if the Bank of England will give them grief for this, as it absolutely must be adding money to prices for everything?

• 4 weeks later...

Plebs - accept your poorer and don't ask for a 'big' wage rise. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65308769

Bank of England chief economist 

"Somehow in the UK, someone needs to accept that they're worse off and stop trying to maintain their real spending power by bidding up prices, whether through higher wages or passing energy costs on to customers etc," he told the Beyond Unprecedented podcast from Columbia Law School.

1 hour ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

"Somehow in the UK, someone needs to accept that they're worse off and stop trying to maintain their real spending power by bidding up prices, whether through higher wages or passing energy costs on to customers etc," he told the Beyond Unprecedented podcast from Columbia Law School.

Yet he's at least against energy companies making their customers subsidise their profits. So he's still less right wing than about half the UK electorate.

On 17/11/2022 at 17:59, Todd_is_God said:

You may wish to read better. I said mostly flat which, compared to 1% month on month increases when the war kicked off, it absolutely is.

If you think Inflation come April isn't going to begin falling off a cliff then I would love to know why

This is going well. 

2 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

This is going well. 

Well I said it would start falling off a cliff come April. The school I went to that means "starting from April."

We've not even had April's figures yet, never mind the subsequent months.

Nice of you to add an unprovoked massive L to your collection, though.

Edited by Todd_is_God

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Well I said it would start falling off a cliff come April. The school I went to that means "starting from April."

We've not even had April's figures yet, never mind the subsequent months.

Nice of you to add an unprovoked massive L to your collection, though.

Tell us how it is going to fall off a cliff then.  

1 minute ago, Wee Bully said:

Tell us how it is going to fall off a cliff then.  

I did already, back in November, so no.

If it doesn't then by all means come back and point and laugh, but at least wait till we are actually in that period.

14 hours ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

This is being painted as wages-price spiral inflation when it much more complex than that.

There are other drivers of inflation including the spivs manipulating the energy market and companies profiteering.

https://www.cityam.com/lets-face-it-profiteering-is-feeding-the-inflation-beast-not-just-pay-rises/

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

• 3 weeks later...

We're looking to buy a mattress topper for the spare bed. 18 months ago we bought a super king size one from IKEA for £129 but now the same one is £219, a 70% increase in that time. I knew IKEA prices had went up, but that's ridiculous.