Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

4 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Someone I know through the football, used to work within marketing at Morrison's. Apparently they shifted the direction of the company from trying to entice the Tesco and Asda shopper into Morrison's into targeting the Waitrose and M&S Just Food shopper. 

Ah, That explains why Waitrose have never managed to open a branch in Cowdenbeath then! 

2 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

I noticed how quiet the Falkirk one seems to be now. 

Falkirk will be back at Brockville soon enough if it doesn't pick up.

We were Morrison regulars but not now.

On the occasions we do go, it’s desperately quiet.

On 01/03/2023 at 14:32, Florentine_Pogen said:

A great article which hits the nail firmly on the head, with the key phrase 'doom loop'.  We've already reduced our spend there - M & S is often now cheaper for basics - and I'm not surprised people are voting with their feet.  In a sane economy leverage buyouts would be illegal, but not in UK plc.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Being widely reported (leaked) that the energy support scheme will be extended for another 3 months in the budget statement scheduled for 16 March.

Yeah just saw the report on BBC News. An average of £2500pa is still too high though.

Must be hundreds of thousands of homes with huge debit balances on their energy accounts right now, which will stop them changing supplier even once cheaper deals become available.

2 hours ago, Iain said:

Must be hundreds of thousands of homes with huge debit balances on their energy accounts right now, which will stop them changing supplier even once cheaper deals become available.

Some will also be in credit because their supplier raised their DD by a lot more than their usage.

I didn't need to pay anything in January because I was refunded at the end of the year.  Just one month in and I'm already in credit in what is  supposedly the coldest month of the year.

I think a lot of DDs have not taken account of people reducing their energy consumption - ours is less due to us using the tumble drier a lot less.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/03/2023 at 09:20, orfc said:

Just to compound my shock at the £2 rice pud:

£6.49 fish fingers... (32p each)

https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/birds-eye-20-fish-fingers-cod-451689011

My son says the Aldi Cod Fish Fingers are excellent (and, iirc are only £1.99)

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Inflation RISES again. These clowns really don't have a clue. Even worse they are now blaming small businesses for passing on rising costs in the form of price rises for inflation failing to fall. Evil risible b*****ds as per normal.

To be fair, its getting to the stage that there is definitely huge profiteering going on

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

My son says the Aldi Cod Fish Fingers are excellent (and, iirc are only £1.99)

The 10 pack of Aldi fish fingers are £1.89, and they have jumbo fish fingers for £2.89. Though online they do stock the Birdseye fish fingers and the 10 pack of them are £3.65. 

It feels like some of the price rises are just getting ridiculous now.

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

To be fair, its getting to the stage that there is definitely huge profiteering going on

Petrol and diesel being one massive cartel / scam. Prices are way over where they should be (based on oil prices). Its the "up like a rocket, down like a feather" pricing as usual.

Also, the differential between diesel and petrol (about 20p) is completely unjustified.

Do the tories challenge it? Of course not as most of the cost is tax....................

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

There clearly is in certain markets but I doubt your small retailers (cafes seemed to be the main victims this morning) are driving it, it's your multinationals that are making the killing. Sunak stands and at every opportunity says the main thing that will help the public during the CoL crisis is bringing information under control. There was talk last summer of it being back to mid single figs by this time yet it's as high as ever with food inflation absolutely rampant at 18%. Their one and only tactic is raising interest rates and so far that hasn't touched the sides. I expect yet more and bigger interest rate rises will now be the order of the day thus the ever quickening tail spin for Joe Public will intensify.

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

the main thing that will help the public during the CoL crisis is bringing information under control. 

Completely agree. Time to end the disastrous education experiment.