Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Aye, I'm old enough to have required a meeting with the Manager of my local Clydesdale Bank to discuss my mortgage application for a one-bedroom tenement flat priced at less than £10K.  Fast forward into full-throttle Thatcherism and you could get five times that by phoning a number in an advert on the back of Exchange & Mart.  

Now watch that pendulum as it swings back.

Over 35 years ago I remember having to go into the branch to discuss a relatively small loan. The last time I took out a loan for a car, it took 10 minutes or so to do the application on internet baking, and the money was deposited in my current account immediately.

22 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

Comparisons of which period of time was worse for the average punter, the 80s-mid 90s, or now, have a crucial thing in common. 

When are people going to wake up? 

The economy needs a strong Rangers?

Nice to see Johnson is doing his best to make ends meet during this crisis.

On 14 October, the former prime minister addressed the Council of Insurance Agents and Brokers (CIAB) conference in Colorado Springs for 30 minutes, before engaging in “fireside chat” for 45 minutes, for which he was paid. He was given transport and accommodation from the conference for himself and two members of staff, on top of the £276,130 fee

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/17/boris-johnson-received-276130-plus-expenses-for-us-speech

17 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Why go on Twitter when the majority of replies are going to rip the piss?

like so many - say something you know will be considered by many as contentious, hypocritical, patronising, and/or ill-thought out, and then await the responses so that OP and their small cabal can then point to the "cesspit" that is twitter/the opposition. 

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Perhaps but the problem is that whether we like it or not or agree with it or not, dealing with the truly rich is a balancing act and requires cross-country co-operation. You only need one country prepared to allow tax avoidance and the whole scheme falls apart. It's a shame that more people don't seem to understand how difficult that group is to deal with.

Very true...it was interesting that a hard Brexit coincided with the EU taking steps to form a united front on the non-dom tax avoidance though. Surely Reece-Mogg et al weren't keeping an eye on that, while pushing the aforementioned hard deal through...

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Maybe. The argument would presumably be that allowing non-doms to reside in the UK gives us an advantage against the EU and makes the UK look better for the US.

Absolutely....the Tories hiding away cash in offshore accounts again shocker.

42 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Maybe. The argument would presumably be that allowing non-doms to reside in the UK gives us an advantage against the EU and makes the UK look better for the US.

Wouldn’t make a difference for US citizens; they have to complete a US tax return every year wherever they happen to be, and pay American tax above a certain threshold. It’s why Boris renounced his US citizenship 

Edited by carpetmonster

On 19/11/2022 at 20:47, carpetmonster said:

Wouldn’t make a difference for US citizens; they have to complete a US tax return every year wherever they happen to be, and pay American tax above a certain threshold. It’s why Boris renounced his US citizenship 

How come Sunak got all that stick for having a US green card when Johnson spent most of his political career as a full US citizen without a murmur?

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How come Sunak got all that stick for having a US green card when Johnson spent most of his political career as a full US citizen without a murmur?

Johnson being a dual national means the US won't care if he runs for office in the UK, and given he left America when he was 8 (IIRC) then I can't see the public having too much interest unless he was doing weird shit that seemed to benefit the US over the UK (and given the UK press still seems to hang on the 'special relationship' when the US generally ignores Britain, even then it might be brushed over). Sunak is a weird one tho - normally if you're 'ordinarily living' outside the US for 12 months - and they really don't like more than 6 - they'll deem your green card vacated and withdraw it. I don't think he can lay much claim to be ordinarily resident in the US when he's an elected member of the British parliament, let alone a Cabinet minister, never mind PM. Wonder why they haven't?

3 hours ago, Clown Job said:

All in it together remember 

To be fair, both sides of Westminster have already come out and said they won't be using it - Sunak himself for the Tories and Jess Phillips for Labour. Both speaking on a personal basis but the way Sunak worded it seems very much an instruction/warning to Tories not to come the c**t. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/prime-minister-mps-ipsa-jess-phillips-independent-parliamentary-standards-authority-b1041727.html#r3z-addoor

Edited by carpetmonster