Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

f**k birds, but only the feathered variety.

And they say I'm a deviant.

It’s a concern that some folk would still use the term to describe females.  I was around at the time that this was common parlance but would never use the term in that way today unless heavily (and obviously) ironically.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s a concern that some folk would still use the term to describe females.  I was around at the time that this was common parlance but would never use the term in that way today unless heavily (and obviously) ironically.

It was acceptable in the (Eighteen) Eighties.

Edit: irony must be great for irredeemable auld farts. Every twenty years or so, folk who love blackface and kipper ties get to be part of the in crowd again.

Edited by BFTD

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It was acceptable in the (Eighteen) Eighties.

There was no need to have derogatory terms for women then as they had no rights so that in itself was insult enough.

There are some religions where women today have the same status as they had then.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There was no need to have derogatory terms for women then as they had no rights so that in itself was insult enough.

There are some religions where women today have the same status as they had then.

Was "bird" a derogatory term for a woman? Is "hen"?

Go on, Granny. Give us your list of bad religions.

Spoiler

Personally, I thought there were far better punk bands coming out of America in the Eighties and Nineties.

On 10/09/2022 at 18:40, Soapy FFC said:

B&M's sunflower hearts went from £18 to £25. It's getting very expensive to help our feathered friends. I know in the scheme of things this is not important, but highlights the other things that are being hit by price rises.

Is Ukraine not a major sunflower producer? Big part of the explanation there.

3 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Kitty Ussher, chief economist at the Institute of Directors said she still expected interest rates to go up when the Bank of England announces its latest decision.

"The fact that the falling headline rate is due to changes in the price of petrol and diesel, which is driven predominantly by the international price of oil rather than by domestic factors, means news is unlikely to alter expectations of a rise in interest rates,"

This shows the utter idiocy of the BoE's policy atm.

The predominant driver of interest rates in general was/is the global price of fuel and energy.

Fuel fell, so interest rates fell slightly. When the EU support producers (and the UK Gov support businesses here) the interest rate will fall again.

The only purpose of interest rate rises is to prop the pound up against the dollar - they are completely irrelevant and ineffective against domestic (and even European wide) inflation on food and services.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Was "bird" a derogatory term for a woman? Is "hen"?

Go on, Granny. Give us your list of bad religions.

Reveal hidden contents

Personally, I thought there were far better punk bands coming out of America in the Eighties and Nineties.

They’re all bad, or certainly the ones that I know of, though I have a little sympathy for non theist quakers.

On 10/09/2022 at 20:11, Suspect Device said:

I have a suggestion how to save money on bird food.

On 10/09/2022 at 20:11, Suspect Device said:

You have to remember that for some people feeding the birds can be very therapeutic for them.

A wise sage once wrote;

I feed the pigeons, I sometimes feed the sparrows too
It gives me a sense of enormous well-being
(Parklife)
And then I'm happy for the rest of the day 
Safe in the knowledge there will always be 
A bit of my heart devoted to it

(all together now for the chorus)
All the people
So many people
And they all go hand-in-hand
Hand-in-hand through their parklife! 😉

18 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

You have to remember that for some people feeding the birds can be very therapeutic for them.

A wise sage once wrote;

I feed the pigeons, I sometimes feed the sparrows too
It gives me a sense of enormous well-being
(Parklife)
And then I'm happy for the rest of the day 
Safe in the knowledge there will always be 
A bit of my heart devoted to it

(all together now for the chorus)
All the people
So many people
And they all go hand-in-hand
Hand-in-hand through their parklife! 😉

I for one find it very therapeutic to watch the birds feeding in the garden. Nothing more relaxing than on a sunny day sitting out in the garden just watching them come and go. 

12 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I for one find it very therapeutic to watch the birds feeding in the garden. Nothing more relaxing than on a sunny day sitting out in the garden just watching them come and go. 

On a serious note I totally agree with you.
Any time of the year it’s nice to see who arrives on our feeders though any squirrels can be quickly chased off by our wee terrier. 

My hob uses propane and when I replaced them just under 3 years ago,the cost for 2 of the large bottles was £128 (£64 each). Just phoned to have them replaced and the cost is now £254. 100% increase in less than 3 years...
Thankfully I don't use a lot of propane.

18 minutes ago, jakedee said:

My hob uses propane and when I replaced them just under 3 years ago,the cost for 2 of the large bottles was £128 (£64 each). Just phoned to have them replaced and the cost is now £254. 100% increase in less than 3 years...
Thankfully I don't use a lot of propane.

What about propane accessories?

The BBC have an interview with a guy who signed a deal on his mortgage 2 years ago when the rate was 0.1% but in his interview he said he didn't expect the price to go up, what did he expect? The rate to stay at 0.1% for ever?

Also he is sorting his new deal with 1 month to go, if he had done it 6 months ago he would have been in a far better position. 

When shit is hitting the fan I don't see the point of having these interviews when time could be better spent holding the government to account and explaining the options the public have.

51 minutes ago, 101 said:

The BBC have an interview with a guy who signed a deal on his mortgage 2 years ago when the rate was 0.1% but in his interview he said he didn't expect the price to go up, what did he expect? The rate to stay at 0.1% for ever?

Also he is sorting his new deal with 1 month to go, if he had done it 6 months ago he would have been in a far better position. 

When shit is hitting the fan I don't see the point of having these interviews when time could be better spent holding the government to account and explaining the options the public have.

shit is hitting the fan

the point of having these interviews

time could be better spent holding the government to account

The BBC