Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

Right. So is the correct thing to do let a few landlords who can afford multiple properties take a hit of a hundred quid a month, or let them pass that on to someone renting the property out?

I find the general reaction to this absolutely insane to be honest. It’s essentially letting the rich take a bit more of a hit than the poor, for the short-term, rather than the status quo of letting the rich fleece the poor permanently.

Let’s not forget that these poor landlords who simply must put their rents up are, in the main, working on generous profit margins. The worst that’ll happen for a relatively small number (those with mortgages, who are on trackers/fixed rates have ended in the last few months) is simply less profit over the next six months. They’re not going hungry here.

There’ll obviously be the occasional person who’s scunnered by this, there always is. And they’re in the awful position of… having to sell their asset likely worth upwards of one hundred thousand pounds.

I think landlords will be just fine.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I agree with the rent freeze in the current climate.

The owner of a flat I rented found out I was a tech and asked if I could make a website for his letting agency (this was a long time ago). I said I'd give it a go and, as he'd helped to start a landlord's association, he gave me access to a load of their documents to find examples of the kind of things he'd like on his website. Unfortunately for him, I also got access to a load of presentations they made, and discussions of tips for dealing with tenants, which confirmed that they're some of the worst people you're likely to meet.

One of their mantras was never to pay for services unless forced to, so naturally I knocked the website project on the head at that point. I didn't get my deposit back when I moved out either, which was another one of their private policies. Not just from him, but my experience is that being a professional landlord is a red flag of potential psychopathy.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The owner of a flat I rented found out I was a tech and asked if I could make a website for his letting agency (this was a long time ago). I said I'd give it a go and, as he'd helped to start a landlord's association, he gave me access to a load of their documents to find examples of the kind of things he'd like on his website. Unfortunately for him, I also got access to a load of presentations they made, and discussions of tips for dealing with tenants, which confirmed that they're some of the worst people you're likely to meet.

One of their mantras was never to pay for services unless forced to, so naturally I knocked the website project on the head at that point. I didn't get my deposit back when I moved out either, which was another one of their private policies. Not just from him, but my experience is that being a professional landlord is a red flag of potential psychopathy.

I'm sure this used to be the unwritten rule of all landlords.  The deposit seemed to be viewed as a bonus.

I remember handing a flat back once in London.  Me and a couple of mates scrubbed the place for a day.  It was fucking immaculate.  No deposit back.  Reason was they had to bring in a professional cleaning crew to clean the place.  Never bothered cleaning anywhere when handing it back after that.  If they're keeping the deposit anyway they can clean it.

No idea if that's changed now with the changes in deposit legislation.

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I'm sure this used to be the unwritten rule of all landlords.  The deposit seemed to be viewed as a bonus.

I remember handing a flat back once in London.  Me and a couple of mates scrubbed the place for a day.  It was fucking immaculate.  No deposit back.  Reason was they had to bring in a professional cleaning crew to clean the place.  Never bothered cleaning anywhere when handing it back after that.  If they're keeping the deposit anyway they can clean it.

No idea if that's changed now with the changes in deposit legislation.

My favourite was the section for expanding their property portfolios.

They were encouraged to keep an eye out for people who were bereaved, divorcing, or generally in a bad state and vulnerable to persuasion. Full of tips on how to harass someone into agreeing to give up their property for buttons - basically stress them out until they'd give you the house to get rid of you. Their ideal was to find mentally handicapped adults whose elderly parents had died without making proper provision for their care. All sorts of bad taste acronyms for the processes of looking for and obtaining houses for fractions of what the owners could've got for them.

So aye, lovely people. Heart sorry that they're temporarily unable to turn the screw harder for a while.

My favourite was the section for expanding their property portfolios.
They were encouraged to keep an eye out for people who were bereaved, divorcing, or generally in a bad state and vulnerable to persuasion. Full of tips on how to harass someone into agreeing to give up their property for buttons - basically stress them out until they'd give you the house to get rid of you. Their ideal was to find mentally handicapped adults whose elderly parents had died without making proper provision for their care. All sorts of bad taste acronyms for the processes of looking for and obtaining houses for fractions of what the owners could've got for them.
So aye, lovely people. Heart sorry that they're temporarily unable to turn the screw harder for a while.

Obviously this is terrible but it’s clearly not applicable to a lot of landlords

There is something fucking beautiful about landlords shitting themselves right now. Mines is refusing to replace my oven claiming it’s a content and not his responsibility. 

he’s just got an email reminding him he can’t evict me until March and I might just not pay rent. I’ve offered a sensible compromise so let’s wait and see what he says. 

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

There is something fucking beautiful about landlords shitting themselves right now. Mines is refusing to replace my oven claiming it’s a content and not his responsibility. 

he’s just got an email reminding him he can’t evict me until March and I might just not pay rent. I’ve offered a sensible compromise so let’s wait and see what he says. 

Surely an oven is a fixture rather than a content.

22 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yup, my argument but he’s claiming I signed papers when I moved in confirming I accepted to maintain the oven. Asked him to kindly present said papers and I will. I’ve been waiting a week. 

im in no rush, I have a hob, an air fryer and a microwave so I’ll survive. 

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Assuming it was already in the flat and listed on the schedule it doesn't matter what it is.  If it's broken due to normal wear and tear then the landlord surely must be liable for repair/replacement.  If it's not normal wear and tear probably not.  If it's not actually listed on the schedule then things could be interesting.

Even my dog knows that windfall taxes on energy producers is the only way to go.

But we all know how much this goes against the hated Tory ethos.

Watch Truss and her merry band of f*ckwits make a complete arse of it and rob the public purse yet again to deprive society of vital services, etc, in the name of private profiteering.

I hate this scum with every fibre of my being.

I can't usually be fucked with getting annoyed with the BBC but this is the top story on their website. Not even an industry spokesman or lobbying group.

Just an individual letting agent's opinion.

200 properties BTW. Fucking parasite 

Screenshot_20220907_141645.jpg

Edited by invergowrie arab

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I can't usually be fucked with getting annoyed with the BBC but this is the top story on their website. Not even an industry spokesman or lobbying group.

Just an individual letting agent's opinion.

200 properties BTW. Fucking parasite 

Screenshot_20220907_141645.jpg

To the guy in the headline

Aww Pity GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by doulikefish

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I've dealt with many private landlords in current and previous jobs. Pretty much a 80/20% w**k/good guy split. 

Generous. I would guess the odds of being a w**k increases linearly with number of properties scalped.