Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Monopolies,and oligopolies are the best way to deliver goods/services in some markets.  It is only ideological driven politics that tries to introduce unfettered greed for the few in these sectors.

The British tax payer has paid the price for such ideology when firms collapse leaving debt.

FTFY 

The UK railway system is another prime example of this lunacy.

The scary thing about 81% is how that will then impact on the price of just about everything else. Food, clothing, transport and anything you can think of that takes energy to produce. 

I predict a lot of things suddenly going on fire this winter and not for the warmth. 

If the chippies and and other takeaways are going to be as badly hit as this dude, there'll be rioting in the streets... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-62466518

"A Chinese takeaway in Aberdeen has been hit with a £10,000 gas bill - 10 times more than what they would usually owe."

'kin 'ell! 

Monopolies,and oligopolies are the best way to deliver goods/services in some markets.  It is only ideological driven politics that tries to introduce competition in these sectors.
The British tax payer has paid the price for such ideology when firms collapse leaving debt.
The energy market isn't competitive though due to the way the commodities markets (oil and gas) are continually manipulated.

That's the elephant in the room that governments across the world won't deal with - primarily because some of the biggest manipulators are governments themselves.

All in it together; broad shoulders; one family of nations; levelling up. Now this: 

Liz Truss doubles down on refusal to offer support over rising energy bills 

RISHI Sunak has doubled down on plans to take funding away from deprived urban areas and direct it towards wealthy towns and rural districts.

7 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

All in it together; broad shoulders; one family of nations; levelling up. Now this: 

Liz Truss doubles down on refusal to offer support over rising energy bills 

RISHI Sunak has doubled down on plans to take funding away from deprived urban areas and direct it towards wealthy towns and rural districts.

If only there was something that voters in Scotland could do to permanently get away from politicians like that. 

Oh, no... wait a minute... 

3 hours ago, GiGi said:

The scary thing about 81% is how that will then impact on the price of just about everything else. Food, clothing, transport and anything you can think of that takes energy to produce. 

I predict a lot of things suddenly going on fire this winter and not for the warmth. 

Pants, during discussions about all the generous measures the government implemented to help people cover the bills?

On 23/07/2022 at 13:37, oaksoft said:

You haven't got the slightest chance of getting anyone on here to recognise or have an honest discussion of the role of business and profits in wealth creation within the country.

Workers are good - hard working saints being worked to the bone. Business is evil - abusing the poor worker at all times until they suck them dry, discarding them for their children. That's your core audience. There's no scope for any middle ground and all the multiple SUVs in workers driveways won't change that view. 

Spot on.

A good faith discussion is out of the question with most.

Then you have roasters jumping on your historical posts through the night to downvote them - bizarre behaviour.

When your wife has just given birth, it makes you realise that engaging with these people is a waste of time.  No doubt I'll be hooked back in at some point though! :D

3 hours ago, GiGi said:

Will those prices ever come down? Doubtful.

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

If the chippies and and other takeaways are going to be as badly hit as this dude, there'll be rioting in the streets... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-62466518

"A Chinese takeaway in Aberdeen has been hit with a £10,000 gas bill - 10 times more than what they would usually owe."

'kin 'ell! 

If he manages to pay that HMRC might be interested in where the money came from...

If only there was a way for the public's dependence on the energy suppliers to be reduced? 

Oh, wait, there is - solar panels! Pity that would reduce the amount bought from the big companies though.  I mean that couldn't be the reason why the Tories cut the solar panel incentives by a whopping 65% in 2016, just after the Paris climate agreement, could it? 

I wonder if they'll reintroduce anything similar? I 

(No, you're right, I don't, really.)