Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

30 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Only the poor people, so the Tory voter base will be fine

The implications of the fuel price/cost of living crisis must be brought home to ministers. 

Some ideas... 

1) no member of the Tory party is allowed any hot food from 1 October (home cooked, delivered or eaten "out") ;

2) no member of the Tory party is allowed to enjoy a holiday break, weekend away or similar for at least the next 2 years;

3) for at least 2 years all members of the Tory party must spend about 6 hours a day sitting in a library, community centre or indoor shopping centre so that they don't have their domestic heating on; and

4) any member of the Tory party breaking any of those rules must sacrifice a member of their own close family to be frozen to death in a big freezer. 

If these living conditions and fatal consequences are ok for the "poor", they're good enough for the Tories. 

Firm, but fair. Anybody quibblin'? 

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

38 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

The implications of the fuel price/cost of living crisis must be brought home to ministers. 

Some ideas... 

1) no member of the Tory party is allowed any hot food from 1 October (home cooked, delivered or eaten "out") ;

2) no member of the Tory party is allowed to enjoy a holiday break, weekend away or similar for at least the next 2 years;

3) for at least 2 years all members of the Tory party must spend about 6 hours a day sitting in a library, community centre or indoor shopping centre so that they don't have their domestic heating on; and

4) any member of the Tory party breaking any of those rules must sacrifice a member of their own close family to be frozen to death in a big freezer. 

If these living conditions and fatal consequences are ok for the "poor", they're good enough for the Tories. 

Yeah, I’ll quibble with number 4, these c***s are so selfish that they wouldn’t think twice about sacrificing their own family if it made their own life just peachy. 

1 minute ago, Brother Blades said:

Yeah, I’ll quibble with number 4, these c***s are so selfish that they wouldn’t think twice about sacrificing their own family if it made their own life just peachy. 

Fair point... how about if I added "every fortnight" at the end of 4)? 

5 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Provided it's a British made and staffed freezer, of course.

7 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Some ideas... 

You used the word "party" a lot in this post,

I believe they are now known as the Tory Work Gathering

21 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

They'll play the race card again to win working class gammons. Blame the economic crisis on those nasty foreigners.

That's not going to even remotely cut it when it's the energy sector jacking up bills by 300%. 

Any government would be fucked by this situation and the Tories aren't escaping it. There will be an anti-incumbent landslide here and across most of Europe as well.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

That's not going to even remotely cut it when it's the energy sector jacking up bills by 300%. 

Any government would be fucked by this situation and the Tories aren't escaping it. There will be an anti-incumbent landslide here and across most of Europe as well.

I wished I shared your confidence.  

Never underestimate the capacity of Labour to Iwelumo it.

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

There's yer BP reporting profits of £6.9billion for April to June. Shareholders trousering £3.6billion off the back of emptying the pockets of consumers who are struggling massively to make ends meet. 

What a country. 

Something something reinvestment something wealth creators something 

24 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Martin lewis energy bills set to rise by as much as 86% ...holy sheeet this is going to be bad 

Whereabouts is that from?

TBH, it could be virtually any number now and it wouldn't seem unbelievable. It's not affordable anyway  :unsure:

I’m trying to work out in my head if part of the problem with energy prices is the way that the domestic energy supplies were broken up for privatisation years ago.

When I was a kid you got your gas from Scottish Gas, and your electricity from the SSEB (in my area). These suppliers both generated and supplied the energy to the domestic customer. When the energy sector was deregulated, we ended up with energy generators and energy suppliers. Now an energy generator, take Centrica (British Gas) for example, can make shed loads of money when market prices are high for no additional cost to them. However, the suppliers (British Gas) can make huge losses as they need to buy the energy at the market rate but supply it at potentially a lower rate, so you end up with the regulator increasing the price cap so the suppliers don't lose money and go out of business.

So what I’m trying to figure out is years ago when the generator and suppliers were fully integrated, would that have meant the cost to the customer was less as the profits made on the generation side would offset the losses on the supply side? Or have I not got a firm grasp of how energy costs stack up?

35 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Whereabouts is that from?

TBH, it could be virtually any number now and it wouldn't seem unbelievable. It's not affordable anyway  :unsure:

Twitter apologies it's 81%

https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis/status/1556939639675654150?t=LvIkYfZjzzO_kFJZ2GPkPw&s=19

1 minute ago, Soapy FFC said:

I’m trying to work out in my head if part of the problem with energy prices is the way that the domestic energy supplies were broken up for privatisation years ago.

When I was a kid you got your gas from Scottish Gas, and your electricity from the SSEB (in my area). These suppliers both generated and supplied the energy to the domestic customer. When the energy sector was deregulated, we ended up with energy generators and energy suppliers. Now an energy generator, take Centrica (British Gas) for example, can make shed loads of money when market prices are high for no additional cost to them. However, the suppliers (British Gas) can make huge losses as they need to buy the energy at the market rate but supply it at potentially a lower rate, so you end up with the regulator increasing the price cap so the suppliers don't lose money and go out of business.

So what I’m trying to figure out is years ago when the generator and suppliers were fully integrated, would that have meant the cost to the customer was less as the profits made on the generation side would offset the losses on the supply side? Or have I not got a firm grasp of how energy costs stack up?

Monopolies,and oligopolies are the best way to deliver goods/services in some markets.  It is only ideological driven politics that tries to introduce competition in these sectors.

The British tax payer has paid the price for such ideology when firms collapse leaving debt.