Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

16 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

There's always a solution.

I think the poor and vulnerable freezing/starving to death is the current solution. 

Or revolution as a solution.

The vast majority of people who will be badly affected by this are unlikely to be Tory voters, so I imagine BoJo and his cabinet of complete c***s aren't going to be particularly bothered about tens of thousands of folk starving and freezing to death in a potentially harsh winter. These people are absolute sociopaths in suits. 

Any state help will be completely half-arsed or actually worse long term for the population. 

If anyone here is in the union leadership and unhappy with their remuneration then a suggestion to align and strike action with the Network Rail action would seem sensible.

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

If anyone here is in the union leadership and unhappy with their remuneration then a suggestion to align and strike action with the Network Rail action would seem sensible.

Great idea.  If you are already struggling to pay your bills then take unpaid time off your work.  That'll work out well. 

6 minutes ago, strichener said:

Great idea.  If you are already struggling to pay your bills then take unpaid time off your work.  That'll work out well. 

Writing letters and being polite has got us into a mess where the cost of heating and lighting your home could cost £3/4k 

I absolutely don't think there should be as much stigma about workers crossing the picket line because of the situation we are in but the government are already at panic stations that Network rail walk out.

4 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

The good news is that all the SSE shareholders will be able to use their dividend payouts to pay their inflated energy costs.

SSE profits up 15% to 1.5bn today.

Which is nice.

Be nice if it was true, but unfortunately each shareholder doesn't receive £1.5bn. My next dividend will be about £35 which won't even make a dent in one month's increased Direct Debit.  I know you'll be gutted for me, but I thought I ought to set the record straight. 

10 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

The good news is that all the SSE shareholders will be able to use their dividend payouts to pay their inflated energy costs.

SSE profits up 15% to 1.5bn today.

Which is nice.

They'd better hurry up and pay it as the world's most predictable u-turn is coming. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/may/25/rishi-sunak-to-announce-windfall-tax-on-energy-firms

I still don't see how it's going to raise enough to make a meaningful support package, though. 

55 minutes ago, Michael W said:

They'd better hurry up and pay it as the world's most predictable u-turn is coming. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/may/25/rishi-sunak-to-announce-windfall-tax-on-energy-firms

I still don't see how it's going to raise enough to make a meaningful support package, though. 

Do you honestly believe us plebs will see a penny of it? 

5 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Do you honestly believe us plebs will see a penny of it? 

It's seemingly part of another package of support, so I believe there will be another announcement of insufficient measures, yes. Wouldn't be surprised if it's some nonsense like a reduction of £150 in the next price cap rise or something. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

It's almost like they were waiting for the right moment to announce this

Today’s announcements then:

Households on means-tested benefits of any type to get £650 cash payments, split in two. 
An extra £300 in winter fuel payment for those who claim. 
£150 for those on disability benefit that isn’t means-tested. 
£400 credit applied to everybody’s energy bill, replacing the £200 loan. 

An extra cost of £15bn (allegedly) to the Exchequer, paid for partially by not a windfall tax but a Temporary Energy Profits Levy. Special Economic Operation, anyone?  

My gut reaction is it’s actually not too bad for those most in need, some of those offers will stack so a pensioner receiving winter fuel allowance for example will almost stand still with the October price rise. Theoretically, of course - when you’re handing hard cash over to people on the breadline you can’t really complain if it doesn’t last to subsidise a high energy bill next quarter. 

It doesn’t solve anything, of course. Energy will soon be up £1600 a year for the average house, £400 is very welcome but simply puts a small dent in the worst of it. We still need bigger and much, much bolder intervention and I’d be surprised if Sunak isn’t forced into more - maybe a tax or VAT cut in the budget. 

5 minutes ago, Paco said:

Today’s announcements then:

Households on means-tested benefits of any type to get £650 cash payments, split in two. 
An extra £300 in winter fuel payment for those who claim. 
£150 for those on disability benefit that isn’t means-tested. 
£400 credit applied to everybody’s energy bill, replacing the £200 loan. 

An extra cost of £15bn (allegedly) to the Exchequer, paid for partially by not a windfall tax but a Temporary Energy Profits Levy. Special Economic Operation, anyone?  

My gut reaction is it’s actually not too bad for those most in need, some of those offers will stack so a pensioner receiving winter fuel allowance for example will almost stand still with the October price rise. Theoretically, of course - when you’re handing hard cash over to people on the breadline you can’t really complain if it doesn’t last to subsidise a high energy bill next quarter. 

It doesn’t solve anything, of course. Energy will soon be up £1600 a year for the average house, £400 is very welcome but simply puts a small dent in the worst of it. We still need bigger and much, much bolder intervention and I’d be surprised if Sunak isn’t forced into more - maybe a tax or VAT cut in the budget. 

Good summary.

Thanks

When someone like the left wing economist Torsten Bell thinks it’s not bad, then that’s something.

Will also help if everyone pays attention to their energy usage. Must be lots of potential savings to be made just by paying attention to thermostats and light switches.

19 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

It's almost like they were waiting for the right moment to announce this

You’re on about Partygate aren’t you?

For f**k sake get over it; OK the Prime Minister is a devious, lying, unsympathetic, entitled c**t of the first order who partied whilst stopping people from going to funerals of their loved ones but surely the important thing is that the UK government is giving some people some of their own money back.  Can’t you just celebrate the good news?

39 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Good summary.

Thanks

When someone like the left wing economist Torsten Bell thinks it’s not bad, then that’s something.

Will also help if everyone pays attention to their energy usage. Must be lots of potential savings to be made just by paying attention to thermostats and light switches.

Are you as pompous and condescending in person (based on 813 posts) ?

21 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

What’s pompous and condescending about trying to be frugal on energy usage?

Just seems an obvious and sensible thing to do.

It all depends on circumstances, family etc. It isn't all black and as in your right wing Tory world. And why as a country are our energy prices spiralling to ridiculous levels where in EU prices are being reduced. All to do with rampant capitalism and a far right Tory government which you support? Shameful to humanity!

Edited by Highlandmagyar Tier 3