Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

Just now, Clown Job said:

I almost feel sorry for the people who seem to think the UK Government are going to step in and do something meaningful to help

They "stand ready" though. And "nothing is off the table". 

Evidently, the table is a little too high for Rishi....

"Nothing is off the table" = if fuel gets too expensive to run the crematoria, the paupers will have something new to eat this Christmas.

For context of how bad this is, the government could keep the price cap in October, November and December exactly as is - e.g. the already astronomical price millions are struggling with - for a cost of broadly £22billion.

We can probably all agree this particular government isn’t spending that to help people out. There’s no way to means test the population without doing it by council bands, which misses millions and indeed takes months to sort, as councils are currently finding out from the council tax rebate. Universal help is probably the only way, and that batters up the cost.

We’re fucked. But I genuinely don’t see a solution that doesn’t involve massive, unprecedented state help here.

15 minutes ago, Paco said:

For context of how bad this is, the government could keep the price cap in October, November and December exactly as is - e.g. the already astronomical price millions are struggling with - for a cost of broadly £22billion.

We can probably all agree this particular government isn’t spending that to help people out. There’s no way to means test the population without doing it by council bands, which misses millions and indeed takes months to sort, as councils are currently finding out from the council tax rebate. Universal help is probably the only way, and that batters up the cost.

We’re fucked. But I genuinely don’t see a solution that doesn’t involve massive, unprecedented state help here.

There's always a solution.

I think the poor and vulnerable freezing/starving to death is the current solution. 

Or revolution as a solution.

21 minutes ago, Paco said:

Isn’t that the point of the state to help us?

2 hours ago, Paco said:

We are in agreement that this government isn’t going to do more than is absolutely necessary, but don’t forget. The money isn’t coming out of their pockets. It’s either ours, or we will be paying back the borrowing. Fucking shambles of a country. 

33 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Looking around at tariffs just now, I'd be paying a lot more than £2,800.

It's going to be mental in October. Very high chance of riots.

Good

Some civil unrest is needed. 

The UK Government is doing f**k all, they don’t care.

The best thing that would/could ever happen is mass protest, riots, and outright disobedience to all forms of authority in the UK. Stop paying bills, stop doing anything, take to the streets and cause havoc. There's just too much apathy for it to happen though; we've been battered too much with so much sludge that the will just isn't there in enough people. Too many "I'm alright Jack" types. 

June 19th could be tasty in London there is a mass protest planned for that day

Plus rumours that dishy Rishi is waiting for the Sue Gray report before he announces any help for the obvious reason