Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

13 minutes ago, jakedee said:

When you are using Professor Neil Ferguson's modelling to justify 10s of thousands of deaths then you undermine your entire argument.

I am sure if you start to look into similar causes of death in Scotland you will find the same - people not recieving treatment for drug and alcohol addiction, ambulance waiting times, GPs restricting appointments, A & E waiting times, elderly being punters into care homes etc. etc.

21 minutes ago, jakedee said:

Just had a quick skim through the article, and some of the things they are trying to pin on the Tories are ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Couple of guys just installed a wee milk delivery safe outside our office. World is fucked if our 4 litres of semi skimmed needs this level of security 

What a Gem of an idea...

8 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Couple of guys just installed a wee milk delivery safe outside our office. World is fucked if our 4 litres of semi skimmed needs this level of security 

It's more common than you might think. We used to have milk delivered twice a week and so much got nicked we had to cancel the order. Maybe one out of every 5 or 6 'went missing'. 

6 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

If you respond with yet more personal, nasty rubbish then you're going straight on ignore.  Last chance.

😆

Well, if that doesn't make WRK moderate his tone, I dont know what will...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/17/martin-lewis-queue-tory-mps-solve-cost-of-living-crisis

"Given the employee calibre and attrition rate of this government, it’s always a heart-in-mouth moment when they unleash a previously unheard-of minister on the airwaves. Much like the bit in the Simpsons where Mr Burns releases the winged monkeys from his window with a hopeful “Fly, my pretties – fly!”. When thuds and bloodcurdling shrieks follow, he turns to his retainer, Smithers, with the curt instruction: “Continue the research.”

Perhaps No 10’s comms geniuses felt this way when they debuted the hitherto deservedly obscure safeguarding minister, Rachel Maclean, on to Monday’s breakfast shows to discuss the cost of living crisis. Who knows why the random nitwit generator machine had made it Rachel’s turn? Maybe Helen Whately was refusing to come out of her trailer. In many ways I refuse to believe Rachel even is the safeguarding minister – a huge part of me assumes she is just a character hastily assembled from discarded awayday ideas and then given a pretend job title that it would feel rude to argue with. “Just say she’s the ‘safeguarding minister’. Sounds like a thing.”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/17/food-banks-nigella-lee-anderson-poor-people-tory

"Not one to see a hole and stop digging, Anderson has launched an ill-advised media round to defend himself after a backlash, including criticism from the anti-poverty campaigner and budget cooking expert Jack Monroe. Anderson told Times Radio he was glad he had whipped up a “leftwing” furore “because at the moment all we’re hearing in chamber is ‘food bank use is on the up’”. Probably because it is. Anderson doubled down in an interview with the deputy leader of the Reclaim party, Martin Daubney, even alleging that Monroe was profiteering from the poor. Monroe has since instructed libel lawyers."

3 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

3 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

It's more common than you might think. We used to have milk delivered twice a week and so much got nicked we had to cancel the order. Maybe one out of every 5 or 6 'went missing'. 

What’s the world coming to when you can’t nick the odd pint of milk or five?  Fucking woke culture.

17 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

What’s the world coming to when you can’t nick the odd pint of milk or five?  Fucking woke culture.

I confess that my better nature had to assert itself as we were cancelling the order.  It was a close run thing, but I stopped myself adding something other than milk to one of the bottles and leaving it outside.  I did wonder about some tight git giving his office pals milk in their cuppa that was about 25% salt, but I decided not to sink to the thief's level. Didn't even get a medal. 

On 16/05/2022 at 13:34, strichener said:

Well most people would manage to get by on £84k + expenses.

Oh, I think I could struggle along on half that. Although I'd still like my expenses.