Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

On 25/03/2022 at 03:52, Boo Khaki said:

'Aspirational' tory voters are baffling, in a sort of 'point and laugh' way.

I have two acquaintances (I don't like them enough to consider them friends), a couple, they are both Tory voters and not shy in telling people about this fact, despite the fact that nobody in their immediate social circle, like, not one single person, shares their political outlook. 

Where the bemusement comes in is that they both work their fingers to the bone, yet they are permanently broke, and display none of the obvious trappings of owning any sort of wealth. So, they drive a shitty old car, live in a very modest property, if I'm brutally honest they dress like tramps, and they never ever put their hands in their pockets for a round despite having happily accepted drinks from others when offered. I've garnered enough info through very subtle probing to know that no, they don't have a big pile of money squirrelled away, they are genuinely broke, and both are shitting themselves about insufficient pensions. 

What neither of them seem to realise is that they are just pretty much typical working-class people like the rest of us, the sort of folk that genuine, home counties public school educated Tories wouldn't piss on if they were on fire, yet they genuinely view themselves as being social equals to and ideological comrades with this criminal cartel of a UK government. I haven't a fucking clue what drives it, but I can only assume it's some sort of vicarious living, and a perception that by claiming to be a tory, it actually grants them some sort of superior social standing or status. Neither of them show any interest in football, but I see parallels between their behaviours, and those of OF fans. Both of them get extremely excited at UK General Elections and happily sound off about how 'we' won the election when the Tories get into power, and they seem to revel in it as if it's somehow a personal achievement and a reflection on them as people. It's all very odd indeed given their personal circumstances.

"cuz the tories will keep them Romanians and Bulgarians foreigners out." is basically the answer for this.

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
Dearie me.  I assume you haven’t read the posts.
This forum makes the Covid thread look rational.
Nah. The Covid thread is the greatest binfire in the history of this, or indeed any other website, ever.

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Nah. The Covid thread is the greatest binfire in the history of this, or indeed any other website, ever.

Harsh. It's not like they're discussing the global Jewish conspiracy and accusing THAT WOMAN of drinking babies' blood.

(if they are, I don't want to know)

14 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Gutted. The sad think is, after “swass sticker”, anything is believable of Dorries. If I saw an image of a tweet of her claiming that we should eat poor children, Modest Proposal-style, I would assume it was real.

11 hours ago, Antlion said:

Gutted. The sad think is, after “swass sticker”, anything is believable of Dorries. If I saw an image of a tweet of her claiming that we should eat poor children, Modest Proposal-style, I would assume it was real.

Watching her appear in front of a Select Committee explaining how the public funded Channel 4, and having to be corrected by Damian Green*, one of her own side, signalled to me that she is not going to let Dizzy Lizzy snatch her "Thickest Tory Tw@" title without a fight.

*Yep, another wrong 'un that they haven't chucked out.

On 10/04/2022 at 17:51, Antlion said:

I’m saying they should be held to account for making clear promises they couldn’t keep and haven’t kept. Every time food prices or energy prices rise, those who assured us that the opposite would happen if only we voted for what they wanted us to vote for should have those crystal-clear assurances held up for all to see. The hackneyed “oh, but they’re all just liars, every one, all the same” cuts no ice with me.

I am pretty sure that the SNP promised a referendum in Glasgow Conference 2016.  Look forward to you holding them to account.

Edited by strichener