Theatre

Many moons ago I managed to see Christian Slater in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest at the Edinburgh Festival. It was superb and there was an audible gasp from the audience when we thought a Hollywood star was going to go full frontal.

Also saw Wicked with Idina Menzel, Jonathan Pryce and co. Tremendous

• 2 weeks later...

Orphans at Eden Court tonight was a triumph. Going to put it up there as my favourite play since I saw Local Hero at the Lyceum.

Usually have a slight fear about entering a Musical Theatre space, think a very ill-advised trip to Mama Mia has left some deep psychic wounds.

However, I really enjoyed the music in the show tonight. Track 4 in particular due to the sudden onset of tutting near me as it was belted out by the cast.

A worthy successor to the film. Got a few good belly laughs and struck the melancholy notes just right as well. Would say I would recommend, but I think its national run has more or less finished now, maybe one more show only to go.

Found the use of the BSL signers on stage really interesting tonight. Instead of plopping them at the side and telling them to keep out of the way, they were popping up in amongst the cast in all sorts of places, joining the chorus for the big songs, and were the butt of one of the funniest scenes in the pub. Really inventive, not intrusive at all. Great to see this kind of thing, the signers being integral to the performance, as they well should be.

Ps. Those seats at Eden Court are not the comfiest for a three hour play!

31177cb7a1987ae73f76f52230f1a5ef.jpg

Going to see Red Ellen at the Lyceum. It says masks are still mandatory anyone been since the rules were changed? Seems a bit officious to keep them mandatory.

The theatre is an excellent way to spend an evening. 
I’ve seen;

Lion King x 3 (London, New York and Edinburgh) 

Wicked

Book of Mormon (arguably the funniest 3 hours of my life) had tickets to see it again in Glasgow at the Kings, but was cancelled due to covid.

Matilda 

Billy Elliot

Aladdin

Mamma Mia

There’s definitely more that I can’t remember. 

Edited by MONKMAN

• 3 weeks later...

Mrs F_P and I travelled through to Glasgow last night to meet Princess Pogen, have dinner and then on to the Conservatoire to see their production of Sondheim's Sweeney Todd at 7pm.

Place was pretty full, expectations high, as we got talking to the couple in front of us who had also seen the show on Tuesday night and said it was tremendous. Anyhoo, by 7.15pm nothing was happening and then a guy walks very sheepishly onto the stage (he very obviously had been pushed through the curtain) and announces that due to 'illness', the show is cancelled. Much bafflement amongst audience.

Now I'm a bit cynical at the best of times and I immediately think 'bullshit'. If an actor is genuinely ill and cannot perform, then the cancellation would have been publicised well before the advertised start time. Assuming that it was one of the lead actors who was poorly, you would normally expect the understudy to step in.

Today Mrs.F_P received an e-mail from RCS saying that the show was cancelled due to 'technical issues', which is a totally different scenario.

Not impressed and would be interested to hear others views.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

11 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Mrs F_P and I travelled through to Glasgow last night to meet Princess Pogen, have dinner and then on to the Conservatoire to see their production of Sondheim's Sweeney Todd at 7pm.

Place was pretty full, expectations high, as we got talking to the couple in front of us who had also seen the show on Tuesday night and said it was tremendous. Anyhoo, by 7.15pm nothing was happening and then a guy walks very sheepishly onto the stage (he very obviously had been pushed through the curtain) and announces that due to 'illness', the show is cancelled. Much bafflement amongst audience.

Now I'm a bit cynical at the best of times and I immediately think 'bullshit'. If an actor is genuinely ill and cannot perform, then the cancellation would have been publicised well before the advertised start time. Assuming that it was one of the lead actors who was poorly, you would normally expect the understudy to step in.

Today Mrs.F_P received an e-mail from RCS saying that the show was cancelled due to 'technical issues', which is a totally different scenario.

Not impressed and would be interested to hear others views.

I was at The RCS for Sweeney Todd tonight and it was fantastic, no issues at all. Really disappointed to hear you had such a shite night, they're usually so professional. 

15 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

I was at The RCS for Sweeney Todd tonight and it was fantastic, no issues at all. Really disappointed to hear you had such a shite night, they're usually so professional. 

We were expecting an amazing show too but instead we both ended up wasting time and money and I was extremely pissed off at the way the whole thing was handled. Would dearly love to know the actual reason for the cancellation as it was so obvious that the 'illness' excuse was a smokescreen and especially now that we know everthing was hunky dory the following day.

Grrrrrrr........

On 27/05/2022 at 13:19, Craig the Hunter said:

Book of Mormon which was cancelled in January due to Covid restrictions has been rescheduled for November, now at the Theatre Royal instead of the King's. Can't wait to see it, has been on my list for an eternity.

Just been to see it at HMT tonight, it's an absolute blast (I'm normally not one for muscials at all) and exactly what you'd expect from Messers Parker and Stone. The colder you go in, the better I reckon.

On 03/05/2022 at 18:52, 101 said:

Going to see Red Ellen at the Lyceum. It says masks are still mandatory anyone been since the rules were changed? Seems a bit officious to keep them mandatory.

This was okay felt it was built up to be better than it was, still a decent enough way to spend a few hours.

Masks were being worn by plenty folk but weren't mandatory, if anyone is going and sees that on their tickets.

Saw book of Mormon in Aberdeen on Saturday. Utter shite and I left at half time to go to the Grill.

I'm not sure why anyone who lives in Scotland would be sufficiently exposed to or bothered by Mormons to need to see a satire on them.

And it wasn't funny.

Everyone else I was with seemed to enjoy it though so good luck to everyone still to go. 

Took my 6 year old son to see The Lion King at the Playhouse this afternoon. I've never really been into it and he has only seen it on DVD. I didn't know what to expect but I have to say it was absolutely brilliant. I have no energy left to sit through it again tonight let alone be involved in another performance like the cast and crew.

Would definitely go back again and see something else (we have a flyer for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory next year). 

Edited by FK1Bairn

On 22/03/2022 at 16:24, The Naitch said:

Also make sure to see a show any time I’m in London so got Back to the Future booked up in June.

Well that was a lot of fun. Really enjoyed it.

Also got to see Cock (steady now) at the Ambassadors Theatre. That was pretty decent too. Jonathan Bailey as the lead was brilliant and Phil Daniels put in a decent showing as the dad of the lead's partner. Taron Egerton was also meant to be involved but he pulled out for 'personal reasons' early on in the show's run which was a shame.

13 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Well that was a lot of fun. Really enjoyed it.

Also got to see Cock (steady now) at the Ambassadors Theatre. That was pretty decent too. Jonathan Bailey as the lead was brilliant and Phil Daniels put in a decent showing as the dad of the lead's partner. Taron Egerton was also meant to be involved but he pulled out for 'personal reasons' early on in the show's run which was a shame.

Glad you enjoyed BTTF.

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen an actor have as much fun as Roger Bart does playing Doc Brown

6 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Glad you enjoyed BTTF.

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen an actor have as much fun as Roger Bart does playing Doc Brown

He really was superb. Perfect casting.

Going to see Crocodile Rock with Mr Nilpferd at the Swan new Cumbernauld Theatre tonight. I belive it is just a retelling of the Play a Pie and a Pint that was on BBC Scotland but really looking forward to it