Theatre

On 22/03/2022 at 16:24, The Naitch said:

Big theatre fan. Saw Hairspray at the Playhouse at the weekend and back there for Dreamgirls in a couple of weeks.

Also make sure to see a show any time I’m in London so got Back to the Future booked up in June.

Can't recommend BTTF highly enough.

We also recently saw Come From Away, which is also tremendous

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

I enjoy the theatre and I know a few people who work in the industry.   Looks as though I will finally get a chance to see Hamilton this summer, a little over 2 years after I was supposed to see it lol

As someone who hates musical theatre with a passion that burns with the heat of a thousand suns, I loved Hamilton when I saw it a month ago. Enjoy.

We have not one, but two wee theatre groups near here and I would love to support them but all they ever put on is musicals. From what I've heard, the audience is primarily friends and family of the cast.

2 hours ago, velo army said:

I went to see Tosca not long before Covid and was blown away by it. I'm a big classical music fan but had never been to an opera. Just wonderful.

I’ve been to a few opera performances, mainly at Edinburgh Festival Theatre. Seen Tosca among others and I’ve always had an amazing time.

From the first minute of my first opera about a decade ago; Barber of Seville, I was blown away with the intensity, vivid use of colour, passion in acting and singing as well as the stage set- ups. Whether a tragedy like Tosca or a more fun opera (Pirates of Penzance).

I don’t mind other types of traditional theatre shows and we seen Guys and Dolls in Liverpool on a weekend away a few years ago as well as enjoying ballet at Christmas on a couple occasions, however nothing beats the opera for a unique experience, in my humble opinion. 

2 hours ago, deegee said:

I’ve been to a few opera performances, mainly at Edinburgh Festival Theatre. Seen Tosca among others and I’ve always had an amazing time.

From the first minute of my first opera about a decade ago; Barber of Seville, I was blown away with the intensity, vivid use of colour, passion in acting and singing as well as the stage set- ups. Whether a tragedy like Tosca or a more fun opera (Pirates of Penzance).

I don’t mind other types of traditional theatre shows and we seen Guys and Dolls in Liverpool on a weekend away a few years ago as well as enjoying ballet at Christmas on a couple occasions, however nothing beats the opera for a unique experience, in my humble opinion. 

Opera's not something I'd normally listen to but I went to see Tristan and Isolde (Wagner) at Covent Garden when I was young and was blown away, felt like my veins were pumping electricity for hours after. Been to a couple more since but found them a bit boring tbh, maybe I should stick to Wagner.

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Opera's not something I'd normally listen to but I went to see Tristan and Isolde (Wagner) at Covent Garden when I was young and was blown away, felt like my veins were pumping electricity for hours after. Been to a couple more since but found them a bit boring tbh, maybe I should stick to Wagner.

image.jpeg.8609c87d12abe38e3588099926f986e3.jpeg

I saw Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds at the Hydro on Saturday.

An absolutely excellent performance. Completely OTT, with some hammy acting from the cast, but that's part if the fun. The special effect and lighting were superb.

Just now, Paul Kersey said:

I saw Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds at the Hydro on Saturday.

An absolutely excellent performance. Completely OTT, with some hammy acting from the cast, but that's part if the fun. The special effect and lighting were superb.

Who was the journo? Ive seen it on the telly with Liam Neeson appearing as some kind of hologram thingy. 

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Who was the journo? Ive seen it on the telly with Liam Neeson appearing as some kind of hologram thingy. 

Yeah, it was a hologram Liam Neeson.

I was slightly alarmed when I saw the rest of the cast, Claire from Steps and Duncan from Blue playing the Julie Covington and Phil Lynott roles, but they just about pulled it off.

8 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Yeah, it was a hologram Liam Neeson.

I was slightly alarmed when I saw the rest of the cast, Claire from Steps and Duncan from Blue playing the Julie Covington and Phil Lynott roles, but they just about pulled it off.

Sounds like the same cast from what I can remember. 

On 23/03/2022 at 15:19, Craig the Hunter said:

The Royal Conservatoire are doing Sweeney Todd in May. Tickets are on sale next week sometime. I saw an amateur production at the Fringe a few years back and they were really good, so I'm very excited to see what the stars of the future can do. Don't be put off by the awful film, it's a fantastic show.

My first proper stage management job was working on Sweeney Todd at Perth Theatre in 89. Brilliant stuff. We had people from Welsh Opera doing it and the songs were amazing as a result. The staging is almost exactly the same as the Depp film but obviously improved with real singers. I made the prop blood knives and the spring was a bit strong, spurting blood out 20 feet or so. The guy playing Todd loved this and would try to spray the audience in the front row while laughing his head off.

I love Sondheim. I also worked on Into the Woods in London. His musical style is an acquired taste but I love the dissonance and off-key moments.

On 06/04/2022 at 13:34, Newbornbairn said:

I also worked on Into the Woods in London

Was that at the Phoenix? Think I worked on rigging the set, but my memory's going a bit. After googling a bit to help it, I was working at the Old Vic on another show that Richard Jones was directing in the same year, The Illusion by Pierre Corneille, pretty obscure but great fun to work on, had us doing puppetry between normal stage cues and a screen on the back wall that showed a live picture of the street outside. Can't remember which show was first, but work in London was always word of mouth so I was probably told at the Old Vic they needed some help at the Phoenix. Can't remember if I worked on the run, probably not.

Edited by welshbairn