Dumbarton vs Montrose

7 minutes ago, par-adise said:

Any recommendations for pubs for before this one?

Stags Head at Dumbarton East station or Rock bowling club just past the ground are your best bets. Plenty pubs in the High Street too but a further walk from the ground.

Sounded like a more eventful second half. Unfortunately just means we may have to suffer the playoffs. 8th definitely gone now.

Bet Farrell comes out and says he’s proved everyone on pie and bovril wrong.

Edited by FifeSons

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm trying to understand why we were playing for a draw (Wright in no hurry with his kicks, players taking their time with set pieces) when we're apparently playing in a cup final. 

Why does that surprise me in no way. Farrell is so clueless.

We’ve now equalled our home points total of 11 from the 97-98 season when we finished bottom of the fourth tier.

Unfortunately, even if we win our last two home games, it’ll have been our worst home record since that season.

I don’t think winning those two would be enough to get us 8th either. In fact, it almost certainly wouldn’t.

Edited by FifeSons

We are utterly brutal at the moment and deserved nothing from that today.  No energy, the passing was awful (even accounting for the pitch), far too slow in everything we did.  No idea why we switched the back 4 the way we did when Matty went off .. when our best centre half was sitting on the bench. If he isn’t fit he shouldn’t be there. The starting lineup was strange too ..  Milne isn’t a winger, Cameron isn’t a centre forward.  The back 4 and Seagull get pass marks .. the rest were miles off it. As for Gardyne …. he flatters to deceive big time and since he came in we’ve been awful from a playing and disciplinary perspective. Are the two things connected?  

There wasn't anything in that today. Montrose were there for the taking. I'd say that's the first time in years I have seen us play Montrose and they didn't impress me in any particular area. The ref was very poor but, fortunately, didn't change the result of the match. The two teams could still be playing on Monday and it would be 0-0.

Wright is embarrassing and you have to question who is making the call yo waste time when a draw simply isn’t good enough. It's not even like Falkirk were beating or drawing with Peterhead at half time and we felt we just had to not lose. We knew they were winning and should have been doing absolutely everything to hurry that match along.

I also called that the ref was desperate to show a red with 20 mins left and was proven correct. He is absolutely hopeless. Sean Dillon is pretty embarrassing as well. Our forwards weren't perfect (mainly Oyinsan this week and not MacLean) themselves but Dillon certainly put on a wee show today with his theatrics, sound effects and throwing himself into things.

Same old story though... not good enough.

There's no doubt that a draw was the right outcome there. Neither team really did enough to win the game, but neither deserved to lose it. In saying that a huge amount of praise has to go to Kieran Wright for an absolutely outstanding penalty save. Eighth place seems a long way away. But you never know how vital that save could be.

I just wish we'd turned in performances like that in our last three games. There was no lack of bite from the players today, Josh - whilst rusty - gave us something that we'd badly missed in his absence, and I thought Stanger and Buchanan were pretty solid together. Stanger is clearly a CB and not a full-back. We've certainly established that.

Normally I'd be pretty chuffed with a point against Montrose. But I can't help but feel that was a missed opportunity. That was as poor as I've seen the Mo play against us in a good wee while and it felt like, if we were to survive, we maybe needed to take three points from that today - especially with Peterhead winning.

I do think that the side that started may well be close to our strongest team though. And Carlo being back at right-back reminded me how good he is there. I thought he was the best player on the park by some distance, and his sensational run deserved a goal - it's just a shame Paul Paton contrived to get his feet muddled up and missed when it looked easier to score.

Hopefully it gives the players something to build on over the next two weeks - with absolutely massive games coming up. If we can keep the starting XI fit and suspension free then eighth isn't impossible. It's not in our hands anymore though. Which is never a nice situation to be in. And our lack of goals (four games now without scoring) is a really big worry. Having had no issue with that all season they have now dried up at the vital moment.

Last word for Colin Steven. What a truly dreadful referee he is. He looks so far out of his depth it's unreal. It feels like whenever he's in charge of a game then his decisions lead to things really bubbling up. It can be tasty to watch. But he cannot manage a game to save himself.