Queen’s Park v Clyde

59 minutes ago, qpfc said:

I wish Bob Mchugh could play like that every week. Terrific performance up top and full deserved motm. The ball stuck to him, he brought others into play and most importantly he got the goal that mattered. There’s been a difference in Mchugh over the last month or 2. Whether that’s enough to justify any type of contract for next season is still pretty inconclusive but it’s positive nonetheless

I do think a big difference was seeing Darren Lyon back in the midfield again. You don’t really notice him in games but crucially he does everything right. He’s energetic, can run and is positionally sound. He starts over jack Thompson for me 

Totally agree about both McHugh and Lyon.

Bob works hard and holds the ball up well, and could easily be in double figures for goals if all the efforts that hit the woodwork had gone in.

Lyon impressed me in his appearances earlier in the season as he seemed to always be where we needed him, and often dropped deep to help out the defenders or provide another option to hoofing it route 1. I could never understand why he wasn't playing every week.

We're a better team with those two starting in my opinion.

Also, what ever happened to Lewis Moore? Seems to have vanished. I dont think I'd have him starting if everyone's fit, but I think he's a more reliable option off the bench than Longstaff

37 minutes ago, Bob731 said:

It’ll be interesting to see how Queens Park sustain a higher level Championship pay structure with a Division 2 fanbase.

Speaking of fanbases, is there any word on where Clyde will house theirs once their lease expires at Broadwood?

21 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

Also, what ever happened to Lewis Moore? Seems to have vanished. I dont think I'd have him starting if everyone's fit, but I think he's a more reliable option off the bench than Longstaff

Pretty sure he got injured away at East Fife. Came on as a sub and was subbed off injured about 10 minutes later. As underwhelming as Longstaff has been, I’d still have him over Moore. Moore has been a pretty guff signing in all honesty and the fact there weren’t many glowing reviews of him when we signed him probably suggests he’s not good enough for this level. He’s on a 2 year deal which is quite something 

Edited by qpfc

It probably is offside but the bigger error is Bradley-Hurst's unfortunately. Hopefully Parry will be back next week.

Nicoll's first tackle was indeed an out of control shocker. Awful refereeing, particularly from the lines man.

Nichol has always been a bit of a pantomime villain but there no doubt he should have been off the park yesterday.

As for the game although it was tight I didn’t have the same feeling of dread that we were going to concede a soft equaliser, even after Grant got sent off.

Mchugh was excellent and Jai looked good when he came on, just missing the finish.

2 hours ago, David W said:

It probably is offside but the bigger error is Bradley-Hurst's unfortunately. Hopefully Parry will be back next week.

Nicoll's first tackle was indeed an out of control shocker. Awful refereeing, particularly from the lines man.

Definitely not offside. Pleased to say Nicoll at the back post played him on. Had he been sent off earlier it might not have been a goal. Justice served.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

8 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Definitely not offside. Pleased to say Nicoll at the back post played him on. Had he been sent off earlier it might not have been a goal. Justice served.

With the goalkeeper out, it would need to be Elsdon (no.26) playing McHugh on - it is a tight call. 

Interesting day. Delighted to win of course but still felt there was so much more opportunity in what was a very open game. Quitongo was the best introduction. Notable he had almost half an hour rather than the ten mins he was previously given. Difference in his work was obvious. Attack minded, strong tackling, shooting for goal, stretched the defence across the park. Completely opposite end of the scale from Longstaff, however you want to measure them. 

The revitalised McHugh continues to impress. His technique for the effort off the post was excellent. Still needs to work on his concentration and offsides though. I’m intrigued to see if Coyle will stick with the same formation we’ve had all season or if he’ll introduce closer support for McHugh. Connell also had a good shift yesterday along with the usual reliables Fox, Robson and Ferrie. Some credit too for McBride; at least he was keen to head for the goal rather than cutting inside. Also got the assist for McHugh’s goal.

Overall, a much more aggressive performance and plenty of 1v1 wins across the team. The score flattered Clyde tbh. They’ve done enough to maintain L1 status this season but without some dynamic changes at the club it’s likely to be relegation battles in the next few seasons. Employing washed-out thugs like Nicoll isn’t much of a business plan.