Airdrie v Cove - Diamonds Do or Die

Excited for this one. We’ve been excellent but so have Cove. Feels like a must win to keep our title dream alive. 

We’ve taken one out of a possible 9 v Cove so far which is painful. 

A draw is probably enough for Cove. Will that affect how they approach this one? 

39 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Let's hope Craig Watson or Kyle Macdonald are available for the RB position. Scott Walker who deputised on Saturday also went off injured but was miles of the pace anyway.

I felt a bad for criticising walker on Saturday because ultimately we won, but he was a definite weak link.  A few times firing a pass straight out the park, a cross straight out the park, gave away possession cheaply a few times. But then I remember there's 2 guys, who when fully fit, will always start there ahead of him. As I said, I don't relish it, but it's 100% the case. 

11 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I felt a bad for criticising walker on Saturday because ultimately we won, but he was a definite weak link.  A few times firing a pass straight out the park, a cross straight out the park, gave away possession cheaply a few times. But then I remember there's 2 guys, who when fully fit, will always start there ahead of him. As I said, I don't relish it, but it's 100% the case. 

Especially with Milne bombing down that side.

This is certainly the big one.

I always feel like we shy away when playing cove, particularly up at their place but this is our chance. 

I wouldn’t be alone in saying that we have grown in confidence since the last meeting and therefore should go into this game looking for the 3 points. 

I’ve heard many other fans say it but Airdrie are the best footballing side in this league. We play very attractive football but have failed to find a win in a couple of games, unlike cove. 

Cove are obviously dangerous on the wings and up front but I do feel as though they lack a bit of spine. If our midfield are up for it then I can see us getting all 3 points. 

The club really should be lowering the ticket price for this match to attract as many fans as possible. Suppose that’s another missed opportunity for the club but that’s they way they choose to run things I suppose. 

Looking for a 3-1 win for Airdrie. Shouldn’t be fearing any Cove side. 

♦️

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

It’s certainly not a lack of effort with Walker but as you say, he just doesn’t have the same quality as Watson or MacDonald and offers a lot less going forward. Murray says Watson should be back in training this week so hopefully he’s fit for Saturday. We’ve seen in previous games how much of a threat Harry Milne is down Cove’s left so having Watson’s physicality and ability to help stop that will be a massive help. 

I’m both excited and nervous for this game. I know we had some big games towards the end of last season but I’m struggling to remember the last time we were in a potential title decider at this stage of the season. Other than towards the end of the last game we haven’t really been at our best against Cove this season. Saying that, we managed to pull out a big performance when it mattered against them last season, so fingers crossed we can do it again on Saturday.

Hopefully there’s a big crowd in for it on Saturday. There’s no Premiership games on so it’s probably the biggest game in the country in terms of what’s at stake. It’s good to see hospitality sold out already too. I can’t say I’m fully confident, just because I’ve seen how Airdrie have done in plenty of other big games, but this team does feel different and the atmosphere in the stadium is certainly the most positive it’s been since we last won the league.

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

It’s certainly not a lack of effort with Walker but as you say, he just doesn’t have the same quality as Watson or MacDonald and offers a lot less going forward. Murray says Watson should be back in training this week so hopefully he’s fit for Saturday. We’ve seen in previous games how much of a threat Harry Milne is down Cove’s left so having Watson’s physicality and ability to help stop that will be a massive help. 

I’m both excited and nervous for this game. I know we had some big games towards the end of last season but I’m struggling to remember the last time we were in a potential title decider at this stage of the season. Other than towards the end of the last game we haven’t really been at our best against Cove this season. Saying that, we managed to pull out a big performance when it mattered against them last season, so fingers crossed we can do it again on Saturday.

Hopefully there’s a big crowd in for it on Saturday. There’s no Premiership games on so it’s probably the biggest game in the country in terms of what’s at stake. It’s good to see hospitality sold out already too. I can’t say I’m fully confident, just because I’ve seen how Airdrie have done in plenty of other big games, but this team does feel different and the atmosphere in the stadium is certainly the most positive it’s been since we last won the league.

I think we all know it's a must win.

We are away at East fife the week after and with Cove not playing until the Sunday then 2 wins takes us to the top. 

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

I always feel like we shy away when playing cove, particularly up at their place but this is our chance. 

I wouldn’t be alone in saying that we have grown in confidence since the last meeting and therefore should go into this game looking for the 3 points. 

I’ve heard many other fans say it but Airdrie are the best footballing side in this league. We play very attractive football but have failed to find a win in a couple of games, unlike cove. 

Cove are obviously dangerous on the wings and up front but I do feel as though they lack a bit of spine. If our midfield are up for it then I can see us getting all 3 points. 

The club really should be lowering the ticket price for this match to attract as many fans as possible. Suppose that’s another missed opportunity for the club but that’s they way they choose to run things I suppose. 

♦️

I don't agree with this whole reduce price suggestion. It's quite possibly the most enticing game of our season. If fans cannot turn up for this one at full price, they're not going to come at all, certainly for other games. You don't reduce prices for your most sought after product and this game is our version of that. 

On the game itself, definitely has a 'must win' feel about it as Cove are just not dropping points. Their consistency is what has them where they are, whereas we've still dropped silly points that we may well rue at the end of the season. The two Clyde draws being obvious one of note. 

Still, we are on fire at the moment and need to go into this game with the same attitude and approach. A win is huge psychologically, not only for us but in terms of putting Cove under pressure going into their following games. 

Cannot wait for this game. Literally wish this week would just fly by, which means it's likely to drag in! 😂

13 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I don't agree with this whole reduce price suggestion. It's quite possibly the most enticing game of our season. If fans cannot turn up for this one at full price, they're not going to come at all, certainly for other games. You don't reduce prices for your most sought after product and this game is our version of that. 

For a game where atmosphere will definitely matter then I think it’s a no brainier to reduce the ticket prices. Not as if we’d be the first to do it. 

Dropping prices down to a fiver for example would in theory mean a bigger crowd, better atmosphere, more kiosk sales and hopefully a bigger following going forward.

You canny attract 1000+ fans to a game with our current prices and that’s a fact. Some folk aren’t in a position to shell out that kind money every week and the club should recognise that. 

A one off match with reduced pricing means more bums on seats which will have a much more positive influence on the performance and finances of the team in the long run. 

13 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

For a game where atmosphere will definitely matter then I think it’s a no brainier to reduce the ticket prices. Not as if we’d be the first to do it. 

Dropping prices down to a fiver for example would in theory mean a bigger crowd, better atmosphere, more kiosk sales and hopefully a bigger following going forward.

You canny attract 1000+ fans to a game with our current prices and that’s a fact. Some folk aren’t in a position to shell out that kind money every week and the club should recognise that. 

A one off match with reduced pricing means more bums on seats which will have a much more positive influence on the performance and finances of the team in the long run. 

And maybe the club is not in a position to reduce gate fees by 72% as you'd suggest they do. To generate the same gate money based our average crowd this season, you'd need an attendance of circa. 2300 fans, just to break even with what the club make at £18 a ticket. 

Even dropping it to a tenner, you'd need circa 1150 attendance just to break even. And Cove aren't exactly going to come in their droves. 

Let's say dropping it to £5 got us 1000 fans. The club would still lose circa £6500 in gate receipts. That's not exactly petty cash for a club on our level. 

So yeah, it's easy enough saying the club should do it but I'd hardly call it a 'missed opportunity' if they don't. And as I said above, this is our most tantalising game of the season, a chance to cut into the 5 point gap of our title rivals. If that's not enough to attract more fans then I'm not convinced a money losing price cut will bring fans back in their droves.

For me, that won't happen until we get promoted and when we do, you can probably expect a ticket price of £20 per game I'd say. 

18 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

And maybe the club is not in a position to reduce gate fees by 72% as you'd suggest they do. To generate the same gate money based our average crowd this season, you'd need an attendance of circa. 2300 fans, just to break even with what the club make at £18 a ticket. 

Even dropping it to a tenner, you'd need circa 1150 attendance just to break even. And Cove aren't exactly going to come in their droves. 

Let's say dropping it to £5 got us 1000 fans. The club would still lose circa £6500 in gate receipts. That's not exactly petty cash for a club on our level. 

So yeah, it's easy enough saying the club should do it but I'd hardly call it a 'missed opportunity' if they don't. And as I said above, this is our most tantalising game of the season, a chance to cut into the 5 point gap of our title rivals. If that's not enough to attract more fans then I'm not convinced a money losing price cut will bring fans back in their droves.

For me, that won't happen until we get promoted and when we do, you can probably expect a ticket price of £20 per game I'd say. 

I’m afraid you’re seeming to only focus only the possible negative outcomes of this. As if having 2300 fans would be a bad thing 😂

2300 fans to break even? Or 2300 fans to get right behind the team and create an atmosphere at home that we’ve not had for over a decade.

Tickets should be getting dished out to local schools free of charge to boost our numbers. Especially on a weekend with no Premiership games. The club should have jumped at the chance to get a big crowd in regardless of how good we are or who we are playing. 

5 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

I’m afraid you’re seeming to only focus only the possible negative outcomes of this. As if having 2300 fans would be a bad thing 😂

2300 fans to break even? Or 2300 fans to get right behind the team and create an atmosphere at home that we’ve not had for over a decade.

Tickets should be getting dished out to local schools free of charge to boost our numbers. Especially on a weekend with no Premiership games. The club should have jumped at the chance to get a big crowd in regardless of how good we are or who we are playing. 

Yeah there's 2300 people just itching to come attend. But the club need to let most of them in for free or feck all? Is that all they have to do? Why didn't they think of that?!?! 

Honestly, good luck running a business with your current philosophy. 😂

3 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

♦️

This is probably it in regards to where the title goes; season defining game I suspect.

A point for Airdrie keeps you in contention but would require us to lose 2 out of our last 5. Still very much possible given we're away to QP and Falkirk thereafter and the last 3 games would still need to be won. All teams are desperate for points. From a Cove perspective we wouldn't envisage Airdrie dropping any points after this game other than potentially Mo away.

Airdrie are creating chances and of late have been far more clinical in front of goal. 5 in 3 for Smith with a few of them crackers. 3 points and you'll most likely be top the following Saturday night. How would we cope chasing.

As mentioned above and highlighted, that is where our strengths lie and our weakness to some degree. Having Harry Milne back for this game is massive for us. He's been by far our best player in the last couple of months and has looked unplayable. His power, drive and supply gives us that added creativity. Apart from Mitch he's provided the most assists. Shay on the right side gives us supply but nowhere near as potent as Harry. Having Shay back does though strengthen our CM as Blair moves back in there.

Strikers are definitely our asset too. An inform Mitch just requires one chance, sometimes he can create something seemingly out of nothing. Rory has been excellent so far this season; his hold up play and instinct in front of goal have won us many points.

Our weakness in central midfield and central defence I'd agree with. How I'd like a Easton, Declan Glass, Kyle Turner type playing alongside Blair, and Fyvie playing Vigurs role instead.

Having Yule back in CM strengths us and gives us legs but Vigurs and Fyvie can be too similar. Former gets caught out for pace too often. He normally sits really deep which makes it less visible but if he ventures forward he ain't getting back. Fyvie I rate highly and has adapted to more of a forward thinking role, but he's up against a strong Diamonds CM.

Centre defence is where I worry. If Morgyn couldn't head it he wouldn't be a footballer let's face it. He's turns like the QE2 and Smith and Easton could exploit that if given the chance. Counters especially. He has much needed cover at CB from Ross and Reynolds on the pace front and from our wing backs. I didn't expect us to have quite so many clean sheets in a row (8) in our 9 game winning streak.

I suspect Blair will be told to almost man mark Dylan to neutralise that threat as much as we can and we'll try to pin back Frizzell and Gabby and use our wing backs high up the park. 

McCabe and Fordyce versus Rory and Mitch will be very interesting to watch. That's 4 players who would excel and revel in the league above. Granted Rory is pushing 35.

Where we lack I feel is strength in depth. Outside our best XI we have Scully, Strachan and Ola and the rest aren't at a standard to influence the game. Strachan has been constantly injured and Ola isn't favoured. Airdrie, to me, have stronger options off the bench.

Not sure where the points will go but can't wait to see it unfold.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

10 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Yeah there's 2300 people just itching to come attend. But the club need to let most of them in for free or feck all? Is that all they have to do? Why didn't they think of that?!?! 

Nah you’re quite right. Just keep the 650 home fans we get. Nice and steady. No point looking to add to your main source of income 🙄

I’ll let your run your business Alan Sugar.

20 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Oh dear, you’ve had a shocker Alan.

“To help with this, and to thank you for your fantastic support over a thrilling season for the club, we are reducing the price of online ticket sales for Saturday’s match. Adult tickets are price at £10 and £5 for concession”. 

Get yourself an extra pie with the spare 8 quid son. 

♦️♦️♦️

73BAD0FF-7CBE-4F27-8BAE-0C36ABECFC2C.jpeg

Really good gesture from the club and hope it is met with a good response. 

The epitome of a huge game, this. YUGE. 

Avoid giving Cove an early goal, which they seem to score a lot of, and I think we'll do it. We are definitely capable of it. We don't need to win it in the opening 20 minutes, we just need to damn well win it, so patience may be required. Avoid conceding in the first half and I reckon we'll go on to win the game even if it's 0-0 at the break. I fancy us to finish the game the stronger, as we did in the last match up there. 

I'm genuinely in love with this Airdrie team and I'm desperate for them to get the result we all want. Cove will be rightly buoyant themselves and have such excellent weapons up top and down the sides, so it should be a cracking game. A potentially tense, nerve-jangling game, but a cracker nonetheless.