Motherwell v St Mirren Robbo’s Return

@Handsome_Devil’s point about Goss isn’t something I’d joined the dots about, but is spot on. I was actually warming to him before Slattery went out the team. Maybe Goss has been partially a victim of his environment.

Oh and whilst he wasn’t the best passer we’ve ever seen, if Sol can be a fraction of the player that Stephen Craigan was for Motherwell, we’ll be doing alright.

40 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Robinson - “We’re in a dogfight, that’s the reality. I thought that about three weeks ago when I assessed the squad."

Funny how we weren’t before he turned up……

He is coming across as desperate and deluded

I thought we scored good goals and conceded poor ones.  (Does everyone think that?).

I thought St Mirren knocked it about the middle better than us.

Mugabi was terrified to make a tackle then slid into one in the last 10 minutes, his forte was the shielding of the ball for the last quarter of an hour, saved us bringing on another defender.

The fourth goal killed the game (obvious?), St Mirren seemed to lose heart at that point.

Delighted with the win.

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Nice to see the Ton fans making an appearance on here: you'd think they'd be busy preparing to celebrate the upcoming 100th anniversary of them last winning a meaningful trophy, yet here they are. Lovely to know they never stop thinking about us. 

Morton fan talking to his 16 year old Dad..."Have you ever seen Morton play a game in the top league?"

"No, of course not, you'd need to ask someone in their thirties. Phone your Grandpa."

2 minutes ago, AW saint said:

He is coming across as desperate and deluded

Yep, I think he's very transparently getting his excuses in.

The thing is, several things can be true at the same time:

We were frequently shite before he arrived;

Finishing comfortably safe should have been a simple task;

He's failed to get a tune out of a squad that absolutely should be good enough for at least survival;

We frequently went on equally shambolic runs under Goodwin;

Robinson's team selection has sometimes been woeful but he's frequently picked our best available team in their best positions and we've still been shite;

We always had a solidity about us under Goodwin and that has completely disappeared;

Players seem to be hugely underperforming now: we are less than the sum of our parts...

I could go on. It's clearly not a black and white situation, but on balance I think Robinson has fucked this.

Assuming we crawl over the line and stay up, of course he gets the summer, but pressure will be in very, very quickly next season if we don't start well.

53 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Robinson - “We’re in a dogfight, that’s the reality. I thought that about three weeks ago when I assessed the squad."

Funny how we weren’t before he turned up……

Allan Stubbsesque! 

Come in to a team with lots of confidence and destroy it by telling players they aren’t that good and won’t be getting new deals.

FFS, all he had to do was tell them they had it all to play for and that they were playing for new deals in the summer.

Basic leadership and motivation, but no, he has now got a dressing room that seems to have downed tools and might very well relegate us, after all why would they care? If I’m not going to be here then I have a better chance of a deal if Saints go down and  someone else stays up that might sign me.

WTF is he thinking with comments like these?

Just now, Torfason said:

Allan Stubbsesque! 

Come in to a team with lots of confidence and destroy it by telling players they aren’t that good and won’t be getting new deals.

FFS, all he had to do was tell them they had it all to play for and that they were playing for new deals in the summer.

Basic leadership and motivation, but no, he has now got a dressing room that seems to have downed tools and might very well relegate us, after all why would they care? If I’m not going to be here then I have a better chance of a deal if Saints go down and  someone else stays up that might sign me.

WTF is he thinking with comments like these?

Pretty sure Terry Butcher done the exact same at Hibs. 

1 minute ago, flyingscot said:

It's not looking good for Robinson tbh. The start he's had has been appalling and if he takes us into the playoff places I doubt he'll get the summer. 

If we finish 11th, he shouldn't even get the playoff games. 

We're 6 points ahead of St Johnstone with 6 to play. In our last 6 games we've taken 3 points, St Johnstone have taken 10. It's not looking great at all. 

On 23/03/2022 at 21:10, ZX1886 said:

4 Motherwell goals in one game?!? I haven’t heard of such a thing since Alexander took over.

5 Motherwell goals in one game?!? I haven’t heard of such a thing since Alexander took over. 

well, if it works for you….. 

On 29/03/2022 at 10:30, Stu said:

Last time out we lost at home to a team that hadn't won away since October.

Imagine my joy when I discovered Motherwell haven't won in the league in 2022. Smashing.

Should have put money on it.

Robinson has allegedly told half-a-dozen or more players that they will not be at the club beyond this season.

However, given how small the squad is currently (only 5 subs today instead of the permitted 9), he was asking those players to finish top 6 and now that is gone, asking them to keep us up.

While they are professionals, what a totally demotivational blow it must be being told you'll only be in your current job for another 6 weeks.

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Robinson has allegedly told half-a-dozen or more players that they will not be at the club beyond this season.

However, given how small the squad is currently (only 5 subs today instead of the permitted 9), he was asking those players to finish top 6 and now that is gone, asking them to keep us up.

While they are professionals, what a totally demotivational blow it must be being told you'll only be in your current job for another 6 weeks.

Maybe he's planning on signing them for his new team?

43 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Can’t wait to see what English non-league “gems” Robbo adds to this St Mirren team

Ones who don’t mind going to Hamilton or Queen of the South midweek on a wet Wednesday in January.