Motherwell v St Mirren Robbo’s Return

I think we’ve really missed Tanser. 

Definitely.

Tait at left back doesn’t work.
Fraser is done.
Erahon contributes nothing - can’t tackle, can’t pass forward.
Lyness isn’t a number 1.
Jones is overrated as f**k.

Bizarre game, dunno what to make of it really.

At one point we were 10th, six above St Johnstone and now we're - ahem - Euro challengers once more. 

In truth it was two awful sides so completely devoid of conviction it was hard to watch at times. Thrilled to get the win to paper over the cracks as without it the walls would be falling down.

We did have some decent moments, there's no point in denying that, but we're surely not going to jammy another one next week on the plastic.

The best way to sum that game up today was the result of what happens when a stoppable force meets a moveable object. 

Two not so good teams and even though we won I wouldn’t say we were the better team. We had a bit of luck and I’d criticise the St Mirren keeper, I think he could have done better for them. 

One thing I admire about Robbo is post-match assessments compared to Alexander. Robbo is much more honest and concedes when his team has been poor and Alexander seems to wriggle out an alternative match performance and defends the merits of the team selection or tactics. 

I’ve also never seen a more competitive league for teams our size. One week you’re on for a disastrous season then by a bit of luck you’ve met a target of top 6.

As for us, we’ve got a very good chance to build on this result and secure our place in the top 6, will it happen though? Who knows, the way Alexander has been picking the teams it wouldn’t surprise me if he brings in changes next week and it’s to our detriment. 

Said at 2-2 it was gonna be a moment of stupidity rather than one of skill to make the difference. That game typified the cinch this season, 25% passable, 75% chronic.

Shields goal showed composure not seen for quite a while, happy for Dean with another into the account. Van Veen has used all his pixie dust on fancies so don't expect much out of him till early May. I remember now what i like about Slattery, he looks up before making a pass, may not always happen but he at least does it.

However, if both defensive lines swapped strips at half time I doubt anyone would have noticed. Awful decision making and error ridden at times by both banks of 4.

First win since Boxing Day and sitting 5th when 5th will potentially bring Euro football .... mental.

Glad it's not us having the meltdown tonight.

1 minute ago, Kapowzer said:

Shields goal showed composure not seen for quite a while, happy for Dean with another into the account. Van Veen has used all his pixie dust on fancies so don't expect much out of him till early May. I remember now what i like about Slattery, he looks up before making a pass, may not always happen but he at least does it.

We're a much better side with Slattery in it and today conveniently reminded me of a drum I liked to bang last autumn, not only does he make his own contribution but he drags up Goss considerably. Goss may never be brilliant but if you want a guy who can pass in midfield it's not surprising looks better when he has someone to pass with rather than only watching the ball go over his head.

Some of the defending from both teams in this game was abysmal. St Mirren’s goalie was a bit of a bomb scare although he did have a worldie save from Slattery.

Positives - we scored 4 goals in a game for the first time in forever. SOD was actually quite good at left back.

The midfield three had a good balance. Who would have thought playing your best midfielder was a good idea? Slattery was so unlucky with the shot that was tipped onto the bar. Goss actually made a few tackles and Dean’s composure was great for his goal.

Ross Tierney was good when he came on again, as was Donnelly. Subs actually making an impact. Van Veen’s run for the 4th goal was superb. Shields’ finish was lovely as well. We hardly ever score one on one goals.

Negatives - Joe Efford just won’t do for me. He has next to no movement and is rarely involved. The difference when KVV went left when Tierney came on was unbelievable. Some one who looked to get on the ball and could hold it up.

Sol reminds me of early years Craigan. I lost count of the amount of times he passed it straight out of play. He’s a decent enough defender but he needs to go practice his passing.

The goals we lost were pathetic defending.

58 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Problem is that he’s now trying to play ‘his way’ but it just doesn’t suit the players in the squad. If you want to have attacking fullbacks then Tait and Fraser aren’t the answer.

Robinson shouldn’t even be fcuking trying to play ‘his way’. Not until he’d got his foot in the door, got through this season, then had a transfer window in which to ship out, and ship in, those who he deemed could play ‘his way’. He simply had to come in, not fall over, and keep doing what Goodwin had been doing since he ditched the 3-5-2. That’s it. Just keep things going without trying to put your own stamp on things.

His fcuking stamp should have waited until next season.

Edited by pozbaird

Alexander pulled one out the tombola today.

Wasn't sure about o'Donnell at LB and felt even worse after the first goal. But then LB has been a shambles all season.

Mugabe as the out ball was good but kind of frustrating because even in space he wasn't going to do much with it. Passing it back to Sol was always a heart attack, I don't know what has happened to him but his distribution has gone to complete shit. Sub-Craigan levels of passing.

We had a decent amount of attacking options today with Slattery forcing the game forward. Sometimes he gives the ball away doing it but honestly passing it out the park going forward is better than going side to side.

The first 4 goals were horrible defending and Brophy hitting the post after Lamie disappeared was a big let off for us. Cornelius had a quality finish to change the whole mood at half time.

2nd half, not sure what we were doing but suddenly Jones had a run on Mugabe every time St Mirren got the ball. We couldn't get enough men over to that side of the park. St Mirren could have scored from another corner, we got away with it and KVV sealed it with a scintilating run.

Pulling Tait for Main was completely the wrong move. I don' think St Mirren threatened us after that. They lost their extra man that was giving Jones all the space so Curtis Main could do nothing up front.

Top 6 back on, Europe back on. Absolutely crazy.

Sol reminds me of early years Craigan. I lost count of the amount of times he passed it straight out of play. He’s a decent enough defender but he needs to go practice his passing.

Very much this for me. I think he's a good defender, reads the game well and makes a lot of good tackles and blocks, but he's not someone you want to be spending time with the ball at his feet.

Nice to see the Ton fans making an appearance on here: you'd think they'd be busy preparing to celebrate the upcoming 100th anniversary of them last winning a meaningful trophy, yet here they are. Lovely to know they never stop thinking about us. 

The tactic of Mugbai keeping it in the corner to kill time somehow seems a 'peak GA' moment.
Also is just me or do we pass the ball back to Kelly an inordinate number of times?
I loved that bit at the end where the St Mirren player launched himself into Mugabi's back so he was basically getting a piggy back. [emoji23]

I think the Kelly thing is just modern football no? Goalkeepers are the sweeper nowadays.