Subnautica

DA Baracus

Currently playing this game (Xbox One) as it's on Game Pass and took a shot on it after I found myself with nothing to play.

Fucking hell, its amazing! I've sunk* nearly 30 hours in to it so far and still have some to go. Many of those hours were spent just trying to figure out what to do at the start! Plenty of hours looking for stuff too. The game looks amazing and has a great soundtrack.

This game has been out for years, so I won't use the spoilers tag, but will note that spoilers begin below.

Once I figured out the crafting it was awesome to start making better equipment for diving. Once I got the scanner crafted things got even better. Once I crafted the habitat builder then things really got mental. Got a pretty sweet base now with all sorts. Took ages to find and scan the parts needed for the various toys, but I now have them all. Just recently built a Cyclops (although need to gather resources to craft the upgrades) and found that you can dock the Seamoth in it! Just built a Prawn Suit but need some rare resources that I'm struggling to find to upgrade it, so will be building a scanner room deep underwater in the Lost River to try and locate them. I have the Neptune Platform but missing some resources to build the next stage (got the crane/tower for the rocket). I suspect however that the alien lads won't be letting me blast off until I cure my lad. Just found the destroyed alien base last night that had some clues. Presumably I'll need to find their research facility, so will need to search for that.

Absolutely loving this game. It's so immersive*. Enjoyed exploring the Aurora and my mind was blown the first time I found the Mountain Island and explored the alien base. Love the radio messages that progress the game once you explore the coordinates. It's a beautiful looking game but also pretty terrifying at some points. Obviously the reaper leviathans are scary as f**k, but the deep, black abyss can often be just as terrifying. 

Great, great game. Will be playing Below Zero once I finish this one.

*Pun not intended, as puns are shite and are for morons.

Mr X jnr plays this a lot. 

He says its on of the most genuinely scary /tense games he's played. Hearing noises and not knowing what it is and stumbling across creatures that want to eat you. You're pretty defenseless most of the time too. 

I quite fancy it just haven't got round to it. Didn't realise it was on game pass though 

30 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

Mr X jnr plays this a lot. 

He says its on of the most genuinely scary /tense games he's played. Hearing noises and not knowing what it is and stumbling across creatures that want to eat you. You're pretty defenseless most of the time too. 

I quite fancy it just haven't got round to it. Didn't realise it was on game pass though 

Haha he's definitely right about the noises! You can craft some things to defend yourself with, but depending on what you are facing there might be little defence. You learn where certain creatures usually hang out, but saving often is advised!

One of the most scary sounding noises is a fairly common creature that is pretty much harmless, but until you figure it out you think you're about to get eaten by some ludicrous sea beast. There is however a particular predator that a distinct noise than will absolutely f**k you up badly unless you very quickly get out of there. Thankfully these are a lot less common!

He's right about how tense it can be as well. Often you need to drop down in to pitch black areas where you have no clue what is waiting, sometimes running out of air if you are earlier in the game. The game starts in day but alternates between night and day and things can change during the night! You also often get a sense of just how vast and deep parts of the ocean are, and like in real life it can stir up feelings of dread. 

Some game though. Would definitely recommend giving it a shot.

Edited by DA Baracus

Forgot to add that you need to ensure your character is fed and has water, or he'll die. 

Although I'm playing the mode where that isn't needed, but on replays I will probably go with the survival mode.

3 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

I've just started it last night! 

Enjoyable enough so far. Built a scanner and some upgraded equipment as well as dying at the hands of some massive sea beast! 

Eta - a reaper leviathan, I believe 

Scanner is good! Scan everything you can is my advice.

Haha aye, the reaper leviathans are quite the thing. Absolutely shat myself first time I heard one, then again when I saw it, then again when it killed me. Was this behind the crashed ship by any chance (as in behind the rear of the ship)? The good news is that they stick to certain areas*. Stumbling upon said areas is an experience.

*Unless you fight them with certain things and run away. They'll follow you.

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Scanner is good! Scan everything you can is my advice.

Haha aye, the reaper leviathans are quite the thing. Absolutely shat myself first time I heard one, then again when I saw it, then again when it killed me. Was this behind the crashed ship by any chance (as in behind the rear of the ship)? The good news is that they stick to certain areas*. Stumbling upon said areas is an experience.

*Unless you fight them with certain things and run away. They'll follow you.

That's exactly where it was :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Completed Subnautica Below Zero last night. Very enjoyable game, albeit not as good as Subnautica. A little shorter and smaller too, although that may be because I knew what to do or how to figure out what I needed to do due to having played Subnautica first. A nice new element to deal with as well, and some smart new features/things.

Would recommend both, but especially the first.

Would love to see more of these games, but sadly looks like that won't be happening.

• 3 weeks later...
Currently playing this game (Xbox One) as it's on Game Pass and took a shot on it after I found myself with nothing to play.
Fucking hell, its amazing! I've sunk* nearly 30 hours in to it so far and still have some to go. Many of those hours were spent just trying to figure out what to do at the start! Plenty of hours looking for stuff too. The game looks amazing and has a great soundtrack.
This game has been out for years, so I won't use the spoilers tag, but will note that spoilers begin below.

Once I figured out the crafting it was awesome to start making better equipment for diving. Once I got the scanner crafted things got even better. Once I crafted the habitat builder then things really got mental. Got a pretty sweet base now with all sorts. Took ages to find and scan the parts needed for the various toys, but I now have them all. Just recently built a Cyclops (although need to gather resources to craft the upgrades) and found that you can dock the Seamoth in it! Just built a Prawn Suit but need some rare resources that I'm struggling to find to upgrade it, so will be building a scanner room deep underwater in the Lost River to try and locate them. I have the Neptune Platform but missing some resources to build the next stage (got the crane/tower for the rocket). I suspect however that the alien lads won't be letting me blast off until I cure my lad. Just found the destroyed alien base last night that had some clues. Presumably I'll need to find their research facility, so will need to search for that.
Absolutely loving this game. It's so immersive*. Enjoyed exploring the Aurora and my mind was blown the first time I found the Mountain Island and explored the alien base. Love the radio messages that progress the game once you explore the coordinates. It's a beautiful looking game but also pretty terrifying at some points. Obviously the reaper leviathans are scary as f**k, but the deep, black abyss can often be just as terrifying. 
Great, great game. Will be playing Below Zero once I finish this one.

*Pun not intended, as puns are shite and are for morons.

Might give this a go. You should try Stranded Deep. Going by what I've read they seem to be a bit similar in that it's about surviving and upgrading.