Cowdenbeath -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 19 March 2022)

On paper, this looks like a fairly straightforward assignment for the Warriors - we're taking on the worst club in the SPFL, a side who have lost their last six matches - but I've got a bad feeling about it! By all accounts, Stenhousemuir weren't tremendous against 10-man Edinburgh City last time around and chuck in our mediocre record against Cowdenbeath so far this season, and I worry that our campaign could come crashing down around us on Saturday. Anything other than a win would have serious implications for our push for a play-off place, even if Edinburgh drop points against Stranraer tomorrow night.

Someone who was at last week's game will be better placed than me to pick a line-up but I'd be keen to persist with the 4-3-1-2 formation. It's served us well in recent weeks and  I don't think there will be many changes from what we've seen previously (Stephen Swift has about 13 or so players within the squad he really trusts).

Cowden have appeared to have improved under Mo Ross and other than the 3-0 defeat at Stranraer, have lost their matches by the odd goal. That can either mean they're going to lose in the same manner again, or they're not too far away from picking up a positive result. I hope it's the former but who knows!

I think it'll be a draw. 

Could easily be a low scoring draw. We don't look like losing, but the last few games, we really haven't looked like scoring either. That includes two games against 10 men for more than half the match. I think we are missing O'Reilly and I presume he will still be unavailable this weekend. 

Could be doing with O'Reilly back for a bit of a spark particularly having tore them apart at Central Park the last time as well.

I also have a bad feeling about this game and it's got banana skin written all over it against the plucky minnows.

The scrappiest of wins would do me at this stage of the season all that matters are results and we badly need this as Edinburgh have a favourable run and we go to Kelty next week.

I'll go for a narrow 4-0 win for the visitors.

Genuinely couldn't care much less for this. The game on Tuesday has scunnered me with Albion Rovers gaining a point against Kelty being the cherry on top. Although the highlight was Mr Sked letting out a Homer-esque yelp when we equalised. Definitely not top of my list of things I expected to hear on a Tuesday night at Central Park.

Would be utterly typical of us to win. Or maybe not. Meh.

Time to set off shortly, more in hope than expectation.

Lovely day for football, so in a positive frame of mind.  It might be too late (alright, it is too late) to avoid bottom, but these are important games to build some consistency and a bit of confidence.

I think we should go with the following line up, if all fit :-

Gill 

Denham/Barr/Dunn 

Swann/Morrison/Ferguson/Barrowman 

Ompreon/Liam/Aikamhenze 

Toddy to replace Denham if not fit. 

Coulson, Mullen and Carty to come on in the second half, but not too late in the game. I am assuming Thomson is injured.

We are up against it now to avoid last place, but it's not over yet. If we can get close to Albion Rovers or even Elgin before the last 2 games, then we have a shout. Why not take some risks and just go for goals? I would rather go attacking and lose 4-0 than sit back and lose 1-0.

Come on Cowden! We can still do it.

Edited by PELE

17 minutes ago, PELE said:

I think we should go with the following line up, if all fit :-

Gill 

Denham/Barr/Dunn 

Swann/Morrison/Ferguson/Barrowman 

Ompreon/Liam/Aikamhenze 

Toddy to replace Denham if not fit. 

Coulson, Mullen and Carty to come on in the second half, but not too late in the game. I am assuming Thomson is injured.

We are up against it now to avoid last place, but it's not over yet. If we can get close to Albion Rovers or even Elgin before the last 2 games, then we have a shout. Why not take some risks and just go for goals? I would rather go attacking and lose 4-0 than sit back and lose 1-0.

Come on Cowden! We can still do it.

I think it'll be the same team as Tuesday.

Dropping Mullen is a terrible shout. And while people don't rate Robbie, his workrate is fantastic. You aren't going to get that defensive cover from Swann or Barrowman and can't go all out attack.

17 minutes ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

I think it'll be the same team as Tuesday.

Dropping Mullen is a terrible shout. And while people don't rate Robbie, his workrate is fantastic. You aren't going to get that defensive cover from Swann or Barrowman and can't go all out attack.

Yeah, I get that, but it hasn't worked recently, so why not try something different. Nothing to lose now.

Also, I am not saying Mullen deserves to be benched. Just give him a rest and see if he can make an impact later in the game.

Edited by PELE

Why, oh why are Ompreon, Aikamhenze and Ferguson sitting on the bench? Any idiot can see the difference they make. Ompreon and Aikamhenze cause havoc when they are on, with their pace and attacking intent. We were completely lame before they were brought on. If they had all started, then we would probably have eased to victory against an off form Stenny team today. Another big opportunity to narrow the gap gone!

Aikamhenze really should have scored an easy chance, but maybe if he had more game time he would sharper.

7 minutes ago, PELE said:

Why, oh why are Ompreon, Aikamhenze and Ferguson sitting on the bench? Any idiot can see the difference they make. Ompreon and Aikamhenze cause havoc when they are on, with their pace and attacking intent. We were completely lame before they were brought on. If they had all started, then we would probably have eased to victory against an off form Stenny team today. Another big opportunity to narrow the gap gone!

Aikamhenze really should have scored an easy chance, but maybe if he had more game time he would sharper.

Alkamhenze hasn't kicked a ball in anger for months so I can understand him being on the bench. I would agree the boy looks decent.