A Masterclass in Employee Relations from P&O Ferries

54 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I always found the guys from DP World to be a bit stuck up.

I remember that being called the "double dog's knot" in a Private Eye article.

Seems a while since there was a violent industrial dispute in the UK. What are the chances of P&O staff smashing up the ferries or having a riot?

One of my earliest memories is watching coverage of the Wapping industrial dispute in TV. My dad was a journalist and a union official so I assume that’s why he had it on.

The govt may be happy to turn a blind eye to the massive tax scam but failure to notify the govt with at least 45 days’ warning that you intend to lay off  >100 staff is a criminal offence. Unlimited fines for company directors. 

Could get very interesting if the sacked employees get a good lawyer.

4 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

The govt may be happy to turn a blind eye to the massive tax scam but failure to notify the govt with at least 45 days’ warning that you intend to lay off  >100 staff is a criminal offence. Unlimited fines for company directors. 

Could get very interesting if the sacked employees get a good lawyer.

The employees can only pursue a civil case against the company if they fail to follow correct procedures.  I think it's the secretary of state that can pursue a criminal case.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Seems a while since there was a violent industrial dispute in the UK. What are the chances of P&O staff smashing up the ferries or having a riot?

One of my earliest memories is watching coverage of the Wapping industrial dispute in TV. My dad was a journalist and a union official so I assume that’s why he had it on.

A mate of mine at college went to join the protest and came back outraged and a bit bruised after getting a bit of a doing from the police. I asked him how it came about and he admitted he'd been throwing bricks at them.

17 hours ago, Left Back said:

Clearly not seeing as they ignored legal requirements for consultation with staff and notification to the business secretary.  Whether they can be forced to rehire the staff or they have to shell out a few extra quid in compensation who knows.  They seem to have blatantly disregarded the law though.

The legislation is not at all cast iron, there is a very obvious loophole in there for employers, as usual.   After all the phrases and sections that specifiy the sequence of consultations, discussions etc that employers must do, the final bit is something along the lines of.... ".. course, in extreme circumstances, you don't have to bother with any of that.. "..

The Tory way.

The government spokesman  that was wheeled out to the media this morning, and on BBC Radio,

was one James Heappey.  He said something along the lines of nothing the government could do etc,,,,

support the families etc.

I did wonder why a Defence Minister is giving interviews on this subject, not at all his area of responsibiity.

Last time he was seen, was in the scramble to get out of Afghanistan, uttering untruths about the fate of the

Afghan ex-employees of the British Embassy  in Kabul.

On reflection, he is a fairly bluff individual, who doesn't do embarassment .   He did a BA in Politics at Birmingham

University, and is my local MP.

Until recently he was in the pay of Saudi Arabia, for 'consultancy work'.  He may still be.

Just seems rather odd that he's the spokesperson.

P&O Ferries is owned by DP World. DP is a Dubai company, oil money, Saudi Arabia, oil, Russia , oil, .....

All this oil money mixed into UK business, and Westminster politics, from countries with abysmal human rights records,

let alone employee relations.

Edited by beefybake

Obviously this is horrendous. But where do we draw the line at how bad we tolerate things getting?

We've got politicians clearly propped up with extremely dodgy no-questions-asked money from questionable sources abroad. We've got a Prime Minister who is somehow surviving in office despite even his own supporters being fully aware that he's an amoral self-serving serial liar. We've got energy prices being shoved up to a level that will kill people and cause untold misery besides. We've got a high-profile employer openly telling ridiculous lies and seemingly getting away with punting hundreds of people out of their graft with no warning in what is almost certainly a sign of things to come.

Could go on, obviously.

People massively over-rate the past in al areas of life. But it's not difficult to make the case that public and economic life in this country is as sick as it has ever been, and possibly more so.

We all moan about, we all say how terrible things are. But has anyone got any idea what we can actually do about it?

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Obviously this is horrendous. But where do we draw the line at how bad we tolerate things getting?

For a couple of posters on here, it'll be when they personally are no longer alright, Jack, and not before.

21 minutes ago, beefybake said:

The legislation is not at all cast iron, there is a very obvious loophole in there for employers, as usual.   After all the phrases and sections that specifiy the sequence of consultations, discussions etc that employers must do, the final bit is something along the lines of.... ".. course, in extreme circumstances, you don't have to bother with any of that.. "..

The Tory way.

The business making a loss isn't classed as special circumstances.  Even insolvency doesn't guarantee that special circumstances apply.  It has to be a sudden and unforeseeable situation to meet that test.

It's also nothing to do with the Tories. The courts will decide.  The fact they've been making a loss since the start of the pandemic means the court are more likely to say they're at it as it was reasonably foreseeable this could happen and they should have started a consultation process earlier.

22 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Was talking to my mate about this and he said we are a nation who sit back and take whatever is thrown at us.  If this had been the French it would have been an entirely different story.

Something will be a step too far in the near future and then the shit will hit the fan.

3 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

Was talking to my mate about this and he said we are a nation who sit back and take whatever is thrown at us.  If this had been the French it would have been an entirely different story.

Something will be a step too far in the near future and then the shit will hit the fan.

I agree with your mate. We (me included) just take all this shite.

But what does shit hitting the fan look like?

Do we all refuse to pay our bills? Do we have a general strike? An election boycott?

I've got no idea, and it seems nobody does. We just rumble on with things getting worse and none of the opposition seemingly having any idea.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

We all moan about, we all say how terrible things are. But has anyone got any idea what we can actually do about it?

Get a time machine back to May 2017 and tell everyone you meet to vote for Corbyn.

We'll never be given an opportunity to vote for a pro workers leader again, UK or Scotland.

Edited by Detournement

Sadly I think the days of politicians acting as public servants are long gone. Guys like Donald Dewar and John Smith just ain’t involved any more.*

And therefore the quality of applicants - across all parties - has gone through the floor.  

Preferred route to being a politician now seems to be a Politics/Arts degree, act as a volunteer researcher, wait for a paid post, ingratiate with the incumbent, make your face fit, the old pals act kicks in and a seat will be found whether the local constituency likes them or not. 

Spoiler

* I ken they’re deid. Sevco, etc 

Edited by alta-pete

One of the worst parts about this will be the inevitable usual figures using it to push their xenophobia and general racism. They'll focus on the FOREIGN workers aspects (I prefer the term 'workers') and make out that this is somehow some dirty foreigners, probably not white (regardless of the truth), stealing jobs, despite the fact that is nothing to do with the workers who will be taking these jobs (who are being exploited themselves).

The usual scumbags will be whipping up the hate and the usual morons will be lapping it up as they rush off to vote for their vile racist, xenophobic parties.