A Masterclass in Employee Relations from P&O Ferries

3 hours ago, MuckleMoo said:
3 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:
I am fairly ignorant of employment / industrial relations legislation but had assumed that this type of stuff was completely illegal.
Can someone enlighten me ?  Maybe one for WRK ?

I thought the same. Thought there was six month period whereby the company couldn't recruit for a post that they had made redundent

Similar here. If my last employer wasn't happy with one of us, we all knew that they had no problem with closing the location and laying us off, before opening up again six months later. Happened to three people while I was there (maybe me too; not sure yet).

I’d imagine the PR department were having kittens too. I get a tasty discount on P&O ferries through work and have used them quite a few times for short breaks to Netherlands and Belgium. Scumbags will never see another penny from me.

6 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

From a HR perspective this is frankly an incredible story. The people who actually did this will have been told again and again by their HR and lawyers not to do this. 
There are some incredible morons high up in business.

DP World don't give a flying f**k about HR and presumably they had their legal eagles ensure that they had a cast-iron case before they pulled the trigger.

Capitalism red in tooth & claw, you seem to have been an advocate for same in a lot of your posts, no ?

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

DP World don't give a flying f**k about HR and presumably they had their legal eagles ensure that they had a cast-iron case before they pulled the trigger.

Capitalism red in tooth & claw, you seem to have been an advocate for same in a lot of your posts, no ?

Clearly not seeing as they ignored legal requirements for consultation with staff and notification to the business secretary.  Whether they can be forced to rehire the staff or they have to shell out a few extra quid in compensation who knows.  They seem to have blatantly disregarded the law though.

Just now, Left Back said:

Clearly not seeing as they ignored legal requirements for consultation with staff and notification to the business secretary.  Whether they can be forced to rehire the staff or they have to shell out a few extra quid in compensation who knows.  They seem to have blatantly disregarded the law though.

That's definately a wee bit of positivity then.................a lot of info seems to imply that this is legal as we're out of EU.

12 minutes ago, stumobir said:

I’d imagine the PR department were having kittens too. I get a tasty discount on P&O ferries through work and have used them quite a few times for short breaks to Netherlands and Belgium. Scumbags will never see another penny from me.

Make sure you tell them, drop them a wee email especially if they issue account numbers so if they are inclined they can see that you have traveled with them.

Hope everyone who has been fucked by this gets a new job soon and can toast the end of P&Os reputation if nothing else.

Watched a programme about Dubai earlier in the year that confirmed my prejudice that the whole place was built, and runs, on what is basically slave labour. Shameful that practice, albeit on foreign registered ships, has arrived here. 

14 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

That's definately a wee bit of positivity then.................a lot of info seems to imply that this is legal as we're out of EU.

Let me guess.  The people claiming this didn’t vote for brexit and will blame it for everything 😂

Various articles like this out there https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/po-ferries-minister-condemns-completely-unacceptable-sacking-of-800-dedicated-staff-1523819

ETA I quoted the wrong article.  I meant to link this one.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/ports-logistics/po-ferries-job-cuts-what-23421438.amp

Edited by Left Back

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

From here, the only correct course of action is to hoist the Jolly Roger, get the chanties CD on over the tannoy, set sail for the Seven Seas and spend the rest of your lives as pirates going on quests for dubloons and wenches.

Pirate Pirating GIF