Songs, movies and shows that wouldn't be made nowadays

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You were too old for her back then, m9.

Meh, she’s 3 years older than me. We could make it work.

Although if we’re doing this in 1978, when Wuthering Heights came out, she’d have to drive everywhere because I hadn’t started learning yet. 

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

In terms of songs you just couldn't see being released in a modern climate, Kate Bush's Infant Kiss has got to be right up there. IIRC it's inspired by some old B&W movie where a kid's possessed by the spirit of a dead adult, but nevertheless the whole thing's decidedly disquieting:

A lot of Kate Bush songs are inspired lyrically by books/films and have dark themes including incest & murder. 

Frank Zappa just popped into my head (not literally). a lot of his stuff wouldn't get released on a major label today - in fact it didn't back then as he had to start his own label to get control of his output.

7 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

The two fifty-year-olds (one who made James Franco look like he had big eyes and the other who looked like a sex-crazed Shetland pony) lusting after 20-year-old "dolly birds" certainly makes for unsettling viewing at this remove.

Fun fact: Olive, the unfortunate-looking wifie with the specs actually had a seondary career as a model(!)

On the Buses and EastEnders star Anna Karen dies in house fire in Ilford |  Daily Mail Online

She was ‘hot’ at various points in her life.

An Adam Ant song came up on my Spotify last week, and it contained the lyric "I dreamt I was a spastic, but my boots were clean".
I was shocked. 

It probably wasn't shocking at the time as I'd imagine the word "spastic" was the correct terminology? It would be like someone singing that they were bi-polar today or 'dreamt I had Schizophrenia'.

I'm sure there are plenty of songs out right now that no one will find offensive but give it 20 years and folk will look back and wonder why it was allowed.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It probably wasn't shocking at the time as I'd imagine the word "spastic" was the correct terminology? It would be like someone singing that they were bi-polar today or 'dreamt I had Schizophrenia'.

I'm sure there are plenty of songs out right now that no one will find offensive but give it 20 years and folk will look back and wonder why it was allowed.

While we perhaps think today's attitudes have reached almost a steady state of enlightenment in comparison to those of say forty orr fifty years ago, I do wonder if in 2060 or whatever there'll be a show on whatever medium we're watching on by that point called "It Was Alright in the '20s" or some such.

While we perhaps think today's attitudes have reached almost a steady state of enlightenment in comparison to those of say forty orr fifty years ago, I do wonder if in 2060 or whatever there'll be a show on whatever medium we're watching on by that point called "It Was Alright in the '20s" or some such.

It definitely will. When I did my course they were already trying to dissuade us from using the term "Schizophrenic" and instead say "a person with Schizophrenia". "Manic depressant" was just making way for "bi-polar". I suspect these terminologies will have changed by 2060 again.

Even describing someone's skin colour as black makes me uncomfortable although it's the correct terminology. I went to school with a pair of sisters who were born in the Dominican Republic and I can always remember one of them saying they hated being described as black in regards to their skin colour and much preferred to be described as coloured.

Soccer AM having scantily clad girls walk out at 11am to be ogled and catcalled by a group of guys was a bit off even at the time.

It was a strange experience as a kid, trying to eat your breakfast on a Saturday morning with your Mum in the room whilst a nineteen year old girl on the tv whips off her Ipswich Town top and throws it into the baying crowd.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Maybe, although I’d be interested in the exact date because ‘Spasticus Autisticus’ was 1981, Ian Dury wrote that as a deliberate GIRUY and the BBC duly banned it. 

8 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Soccer AM having scantily clad girls walk out at 11am to be ogled and catcalled by a group of guys was a bit off even at the time.

It was a strange experience as a kid, trying to eat your breakfast on a Saturday morning with your Mum in the room whilst a nineteen year old girl on the tv whips off her Ipswich Town top and throws it into the baying crowd.

That would certainly make for a more challenging w**k.

The whole premise of Live! TV, all sorts of absolute madness, someone dressed as a rabbit presenting the news, topless darts and a little person doing the weather while jumping on a trampoline

Edited by Bert Raccoon

22 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Songs about lusting after teenagers are fine if they’re written from the point of view of another teenager like “she was only sixteen”, “Teenage kicks” and “Teenage dirt bag”. It’s when they’re very clearly about breaking the half your age plus seven rule that they get creepy

And then there’s a whole load of songs where the age of the other party isn’t absolutely clear so the level of creepiness is up to the listener

Is “I’m on fire” harking back to young Bruce wanting to get it on with a girl whose dad doesn’t approve of him in late ‘60s New Jersey? or is it about a 35 year old rock star being a sexual predator in the 1980s?

I’d prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt but if there turns out to be skeletons in his closet that song is going to sound even darker than it already does

I saw a documentary about Teenage Dirt bag, the song is actually a reference to a murderer. It seems the idea of a ‘teenage dirt bag’ was the expression used by politicians and media to describe the guy because he listened to metal music etc, which in turn saw lots of people in the community who listened to metal etc becoming viewed with suspicion. 

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

It was a quite common term of abuse usually aimed at someone who had just done something a bit clumsy - I'm sure I would have used it as a put down.

There's some quite infamous footage of John Lennon pretending to be a spastic on stage back in the 60s whilst he was a member of some obscure beat combo. 

What was it with musicians and noncing?!
I mind one of the members of The Sweet (I think) even moved next door to a school. There was a 'light hearted' bit about it on some local news channel where it was all laughed off that this man would be trying to shag children. They showed the clip on one of those 'It was Alright in the 70s' shows. From the same show there was a clip from TV show (a police drama maybe?) where three middle aged guys in the back of a car saw a schoolgirl (probably about 12 years old) and they all started talking about how they would love to shag schoolgirls and how the knee high white socks did it for them. Vile, vile stuff.

Dave Hill the guitarist from Slade from memory rather than Andy Scott the guitarist from The Sweet.

3 hours ago, btb said:

It was a quite common term of abuse usually aimed at someone who had just done something a bit clumsy - I'm sure I would have used it as a put down.

There's some quite infamous footage of John Lennon pretending to be a spastic on stage back in the 60s whilst he was a member of some obscure beat combo. 

Thankyou Judge Cocklecarrot