Songs, movies and shows that wouldn't be made nowadays

One of the more obscure retro freeview channels is rerunning the benny hill show

I watched one of them and it was bizarre

It’s not so much that it’s aged badly but the way that it’s aged so unevenly

Some of the gags still stand up well today and I laughed out loud at points but some of them are based on premises so outdated that it’s hard to see where the joke actually was.

The word "Daddy" is quite often used in song lyrics to refer to a boyfriend, rather than a father. You'll hear it often in blues songs for example. I'm pretty sure (at least, I hope so) that was the context Springsteen was using it.

That’s a more palatable reading

Let’s go with that

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

One of the more obscure retro freeview channels is rerunning the benny hill show

Some of the gags still stand up well today and I laughed out loud at points but some of them are based on premises so outdated that it’s hard to see where the joke actually was.

An old episode of Man About the House was on one of the ITV back channels a while back and I watched the tail end of it. Think it might have been the very first one actually as no-one could comprehend that a guy was actually flat-sharing with two lassies, and he was pretending to be gay to make it socially acceptable.

It was made fifty years ago, but the situation that the "comedy" was predicated on felt like it was from a lot further back.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Really?

I admire the Gilbert and think highly of 'Nothing Rhymed' & 'Alone Again, Naturally' but a song that suggests a grown man is excited at the thought of a 3 year old girl wanting to marry him , however innocent the intention, might today be the subject of 2nd thoughts. 

8 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

There are many reasons why Indiana Jones is a total bellend, but being a nonce has to top the list.

It gets worse. Either Spielberg or Lucas wanted it to be explicit in the script that Indy had been banging Marion when she was underage, and the other one vetoed it.

Lucas tends to get the blame for the bad decisions, but I get the feeling it was Spielberg's idea for Indy to be an unconvicted sex offender.

37 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS - Wikipedia

This looks educational. 

Ilsa's a classic of the genre, and it's chock-full of absolute wids, albeit having horrible things done to them that negate their effect (unless that's your thing). It's actually a decent film if you're into horrible exploitation, although the sequels get progressively worse. Pneumatic blonde Dyanne Thorne died recently, so RIP to her.

The Seventies was full of Nazisploitation films - pretty sure I've got a Blu-Ray somewhere of something called SS Experiment Camp. They call it "the decade that taste forgot" for a reason.

An old episode of Man About the House was on one of the ITV back channels a while back and I watched the tail end of it. Think it might have been the very first one actually as no-one could comprehend that a guy was actually flat-sharing with two lassies, and he was pretending to be gay to make it socially acceptable.
It was made fifty years ago, but the situation that the "comedy" was predicated on felt like it was from a lot further back.

I remember English teachers trying to explain that Shakespeare was full of jokes that would have worked on a contemporary audience that we weren’t seeing. I didn’t understand at the time but with these old sitcoms I get it now.

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The Seventies was full of Nazisploitation films - pretty sure I've got a Blu-Ray somewhere of something called SS Experiment Camp. They call it "the decade that taste forgot" for a reason.

Just pausing for a moment here...you went out and sought this movie on Blu-Ray?

Just looked this up on Wikipedia. "cited by MPs Julian Brazier and Keith Vaz as part of their attempts to tighten the film banning system"

If Keith Vaz, aka Jim, thinks it's beyond what's acceptable...

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Just pausing for a moment here...you went out and sought this movie on Blu-Ray?

Just looked this up on Wikipedia. "cited by MPs Julian Brazier and Keith Vaz as part of their attempts to tighten the film banning system"

If Keith Vaz, aka Jim, thinks it's beyond what's acceptable...

HMV used to do "Buy 5 for £30" deals on selected titles in the horror section, so it got hoovered up as part of my effort to watch everything that ended up on the Video Nasties list in 1984. Think I put it on once but it was surprisingly dull.

TBH, it should be no surprise to anyone that I'd buy something with a cover like this:

(warning: NSFW)

Spoiler

Ss_experiment_camp.jpg

22 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

I admire the Gilbert and think highly of 'Nothing Rhymed' & 'Alone Again, Naturally' but a song that suggests a grown man is excited at the thought of a 3 year old girl wanting to marry him , however innocent the intention, might today be the subject of 2nd thoughts. 

Only if you’re inclined to think that way. It’s a totally innocent song.

How we all laughed during school music lessons at the puckish sense of humour and the resourcefulness of the Wee Cooper Wha Lived in Fife.

You see, the joke is that he had some sort of Code-of-the-Woosters thing going on, which (and you're not going to believe this!) actually prevented him from delivering a solid beating to a disobedient wife. Quite literally political correctness gone mad!

Fortunately, he constructs a clever route around his self-imposed stricture, and it all ends well.

34 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

I haven't thought about that song in years but O'Sullivan regularly babysat for Clair, who was the daughter of his manager. He wrote the song for her parents with the help of her Mum. It's Clair laughing at the end.

11 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Only if you’re inclined to think that way. It’s a totally innocent song.

Yup.

19 minutes ago, sugna said:

How we all laughed during school music lessons at the puckish sense of humour and the resourcefulness of the Wee Cooper Wha Lived in Fife.

You see, the joke is that he had some sort of Code-of-the-Woosters thing going on, which (and you're not going to believe this!) actually prevented him from delivering a solid beating to a disobedient wife. Quite literally political correctness gone mad!

Fortunately, he constructs a clever route around his self-imposed stricture, and it all ends well.

So that's what nickettynackettynoo means

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I caught a few episodes of On The Buses some years back, under the same circumstances, and gave it a quick watch, thinking it'd be hideously dated but still somewhat 'fun', but the weird thing was there were literally no jokes in it. Just unrelentingly grim, like a Ken Loach movie but without any social messaging. 

ETA - I'm now also remembering that Bob Grant, who was a RADA-trained actor, got typecast to hell off the back of it, made multiple attempts on his own life in later years and eventually managed to gas himself in the car. Happy Friday. 

Edited by carpetmonster

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

I caught a few episodes of On The Buses some years back, under the same circumstances, and gave it a quick watch, thinking it'd be hideously dated but still somewhat 'fun', but the weird thing was there were literally no jokes in it. Just unrelentingly grim, like a Ken Loach movie but without any social messaging. 

On the Buses is full of ugly people that wouldn't be allowed on tv now for that reason.

14 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

On the Buses is full of ugly people that wouldn't be allowed on tv now for that reason.

The two fifty-year-olds (one who made James Franco look like he had big eyes and the other who looked like a sex-crazed Shetland pony) lusting after 20-year-old "dolly birds" certainly makes for unsettling viewing at this remove.

Fun fact: Olive, the unfortunate-looking wifie with the specs actually had a seondary career as a model(!)

On the Buses and EastEnders star Anna Karen dies in house fire in Ilford |  Daily Mail Online