Restaurants in Edinburgh

26 minutes ago, throbber said:

Was at Chaophraya on thistle street last night - very fancy Thai place with a nice view.

CD8CABBC-2925-4F5C-A82B-C383FFFEC571.jpeg

2A71FE56-7AEF-4A52-885E-DC886461B77B.jpeg

That looks nice. We love Thai food.

Mrs and I ate there a year or so before lockdown. Open Kitchen and as you say a nice view of Edinburgh.

Enjoyed it but for us the food was nowhere as good as the Rama Thai in Dundee or Sida Thai in Stirling.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Loon Fung is massive amazing -  Lotus cream dumpling. King prawns with spring onion and ginger, mixed seafood in a birds nest. Wonderful food.

Was always my favourite restaurant but it has been taken over by new folk a few months ago and seems to be going really downhill 

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Loon Fung is massive amazing -  Lotus cream dumpling. King prawns with spring onion and ginger, mixed seafood in a birds nest. Wonderful food.

Have passed this place many a time on the bus, and also recently close by as we walked along part of the Water of Leith. The 'Loon' in the name has of course (for me) raised some kinda interest. 😎

Haven't been in a Chinese (sit in) restaurant for years, we're a bit more partial to Thai food these days.

Good to hear you enjoyed it though..

Edit.

We had fantastic Greek food at the Spitaki Greek Taverna a few weeks ago.

https://www.spitaki.co.uk/

Edited by broon-loon

10 hours ago, Hibernianification said:

Was always my favourite restaurant but it has been taken over by new folk a few months ago and seems to be going really downhill 

Well the chef was on his game yesterday. Every piece of seafood was amazing. I wish I could cook like that.  Plump, fat and juicy big prawns, same with the scallops. I never tasted scallops as good as that before and the monkfish. 

Delivery driver was busy but I wouldn't get take away from there though. You really need to be getting the food straight from the kitchen. 

10 hours ago, broon-loon said:

Have passed this place many a time on the bus, and also recently close by as we walked along part of the Water of Leith. The 'Loon' in the name has of course (for me) raised some kinda interest. 😎

Haven't been in a Chinese (sit in) restaurant for years, we're a bit more partial to Thai food these days.

Edit.

A Loon in the Loon. It has to happen.

I have passed the Greek place a few times as I live 15 minutes from there. I'll give it a bash one day.

12 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Years back, the same people used to have a sister restaurant in Grindlay St (opposite the Lyceum), but not sure if its the same owners now.

Ok I've booked Fazenda, Pibroch and Amarone. Pibroch is the Scottish one as 6 of the party are English. Fazenda because 1 of the party is veggie and I don't like him. Nothing spicy because of the Crohn's issue and all wheelchair accessible. Hopefully a good mix and the boss will be impressed.

We need a restaurant sub-forum. 
Going for a tapas in Glasgow after the game and having to rely on TripAdvisor. 
P&B > TripAdvisor 
I was raking about Glasgow restaurants for ages the other night for Monday and settled on Topolabamba. Was originally looking for something high end but a lot of those are closed on Mondays.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
7 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:
We need a restaurant sub-forum. 
Going for a tapas in Glasgow after the game and having to rely on TripAdvisor. 
P&B > TripAdvisor 

I was raking about Glasgow restaurants for ages the other night for Monday and settled on Topolabamba. Was originally looking for something high end but a lot of those are closed on Mondays.

I've gone for Elena's near Kelvingrove. 

My son is attending the Celtic - SJ game, I'll be at Firhill. I honestly couldn't inflict East Fife on him two weeks in a row. So meet up after the game it is. 

15 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I've gone for Elena's near Kelvingrove. 

My son is attending the Celtic - SJ game, I'll be at Firhill. I honestly couldn't inflict East Fife on him two weeks in a row. So meet up after the game it is. 

Elena's is nice. They sometimes use Taste Spain/La Parada on Byres Road a supplier, highly recommend nipping in there if you have time

• 2 weeks later...

Girlfriend had heard others raving about 'Down the Hatch' and wanted to try it for the poutine. Duly booked, off we went. Took them 20 minutes after they sat us down to even bring us a bottle of water, we had to interrupt the waitress before she made off and ask if we could order, food came, it was utterly revolting. Poutine was full of charcoalised, rock hard, inedible scraps of bacon, and the wings were soggy and in a completely disgusting buffalo sauce that must have been 95% vinegar. I mean, I know buffalo sauce is partly vinegar, I've had it before plenty times in various places, but this was nothing like any other buffalo sauce I've encountered anywhere. Our entire table was reeking of cheap vinegar, all coming from this one plate of wings. Their dining area is a high-ceiling, concrete floored room with no dividers or sound damping on the walls, so it's basically a cacophonous din of people having to shout just so the person sat right next to them can hear them. To top it off, the fuckers had the cheek to try and swing an automatic 10% service charge addition to the bill, which I duly cancelled before paying. I usually tip well even if the food and service are nothing more than ordinary, but this was so bad I was actually offended by their presumption. Food is cheap, so I know they are obviously geared towards cheap and cheerful, but even knowing that it was just an utterly miserable experience.

Terrible service, terrible food, awful environment. Avoid like the plague.

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 08/04/2022 at 22:53, broon-loon said:

Edit.

Spitaki is fantastic. Great food and a really friendly and welcoming atmosphere. It's somewhere I've been in the evenings with my wife and friends, but also we've gone as a family with the kids during the day. 

Dumplings of China is my favourite chinese place at the moment. Just up the road from the Cameo cinema so nice to combine with a trip there. 

Kim's mini meals just sprung to mind. Been a while since I've been but it used to be great. Tiny little Korean place in Newington near the uni. The ribs were amazing. 

I'm hungry now.