Restaurants in Edinburgh

10 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

One of the group has Crohn's so spicy is a bit dodgy. Anybody tried Fazenda in George St? I fancy that because one of the group is vegetarian and I don't like him. 

I have Crohns and am lucky enough, due to some pretty drastic re-plumbing, to be able to eat whatever I like. Your colleague may be the same. 

Fazenda is outstanding. If it pisses of a veggie, then all the better. Get it booked.

2 hours ago, broon-loon said:

My Daughter now lives in Edinburgh and Dishoom do a Breakfast Naan with Bacon which she raved about.

So much so I'm gonna have to try this.

I was there about 3 weeks ago and it was excellent.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

When we’re in Edinburgh we always go to La Piazza.  Never been disappointed.

OK so two Italian restaurants back to back might not be everyone’s choice but huge varied menus.

La Piazza is indeed excellent - Shandwick Place though so I suppose it depends on the OP’s definition of walking distance from the Royal Mile. 

11 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Had lunch at the kitchin the other day, our fourth visit and the only good bit about edinburgh, go there. 

53F6FD20-104E-4DC2-88E0-38CC77CC75E1.png

Kitchin is overrated for me. Nice enough but nowhere near as good as I was expecting. Probably not in my top 5 Edinburgh restaurants.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

19 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

53F6FD20-104E-4DC2-88E0-38CC77CC75E1.png

Kitchin is overrated for me. Nice enough but nowhere near as good as I was expecting. Probably not in my top 5 Edinburgh restaurants.

Been fortunate enough to eat in quite a few michelin and prestigious restaurants around the world, think at £50 for a fantastic set menu the Kitchin is the best value for money ive ever had fine dining and the food on the ala carte, in particular the food we had on saturday was genuinely fantastic. Its fancy but not stuck up and Tom comes up and makes himself available to customers and chats about the ingredients and how/why he thinks it works etc. 

Obviously its each to their own taste but for me its my go to in an otherwise awful city.

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Tom comes up and makes himself available to customers and chats about the ingredients and how/why he thinks it works etc. 

I’ve never been to the Kitchin or encountered him in real life, but I can’t imagine any scenario in which having that absolute w****r chatting to me about the ingredients would possibly improve my dining experience. 

13 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Been fortunate enough to eat in quite a few michelin and prestigious restaurants around the world, think at £50 for a fantastic set menu the Kitchin is the best value for money ive ever had fine dining and the food on the ala carte, in particular the food we had on saturday was genuinely fantastic. Its fancy but not stuck up and Tom comes up and makes himself available to customers and chats about the ingredients and how/why he thinks it works etc. 

Obviously its each to their own taste but for me its my go to in an otherwise awful city.

Edinburgh lassie told him he was a plukey c*nt and a shite ride.

13 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

As has been pointed out, he’s a w****r, and he absolutely came across as one when he came out to speak to us after the meal. Our dinner was about £250 and was absolutely nowhere near worth it. Of the 3 Michelin star restaurants I’ve eaten at in Edinburgh it was the worst, not to mention the numerous non-Michelin star ones that are far better (Aizle & New Chapter a couple of examples.

Bold bit again highlights you as a moron unfortunately. A great city, and when discussing food, it’s so far ahead of anywhere else in Scotland it’s not even funny.

1 minute ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Yeah, Kitchin is okay but nothing special. My favourite Edinburgh restaurant is Fhior. Far superior to the Kitchin.

Agreed Fhior was better than Kitchin, although thought the menu I had was slightly too focused on fermented/pickled elements. I like that sort of stuff, but not every course. Would happily go back though, unlike Kitchin.

14 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Is International Starters still there? Nothing fancy but I enjoyed it when I went (admittedly probably over ten years ago now). Not really walking distance from the Royal Mile right enough.

Think that shut down.  Was doing some browsing earlier and seen that Honours shut down during the pandemic as well 😢

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’ve never been to the Kitchin or encountered him in real life, but I can’t imagine any scenario in which having that absolute w****r chatting to me about the ingredients would possibly improve my dining experience. 

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

As has been pointed out, he’s a w****r, and he absolutely came across as one when he came out to speak to us after the meal. Our dinner was about £250 and was absolutely nowhere near worth it. Of the 3 Michelin star restaurants I’ve eaten at in Edinburgh it was the worst, not to mention the numerous non-Michelin star ones that are far better (Aizle & New Chapter a couple of examples.

Bold bit again highlights you as a moron unfortunately. A great city, and when discussing food, it’s so far ahead of anywhere else in Scotland it’s not even funny.

Im not gonna get involved in a big massive debate about Tom Kitchin, guy was nice to me and I enjoy his restaurant.   Edinburgh is shite and if that offends you HM i genuinely could not care less. 

Piggs on Canongate (few doors further down from the Worlds End pub) is our go to in Edinburgh. Actually became quite good friends with the owner and his father. Food is fantastic, a nice mix of tapas style dishes and meat and cheese platters or they can do something more substantial if you wish. They have a huge wine selection but the best bit is Estrella Galicia on draught. Well known to be the best non-Tennents beer ever. 

Fazenda on George St is fantastic too which I’ve seen mentioned above. I’d also add Tempo Perso which is a bit further out on Bruntsfield Place.