Restaurants in Edinburgh

I prostrate myself before the great & the good of P&B, humbly beseeching some advice. I have to take a party of six from my work out for a meal in Edinburgh, preferably within walking distance of the Royal Mile - and I've got to do it three nights in a row. Fri & Sat are sorted I think. Those nights have to be restaurants with wheelchair access so I'm going for the Pibroch on the Royal Mile and Amarone at St Andrews Square, Scottish and Italian. Any suggestions for the Thursday night? Can't be Chinese.

No, I'm not taking them to MacDonalds.

1 minute ago, Newbornbairn said:

I prostrate myself before the great & the good of P&B, humbly beseeching some advice. I have to take a party of six from my work out for a meal in Edinburgh, preferably within walking distance of the Royal Mile - and I've got to do it three nights in a row. Fri & Sat are sorted I think. Those nights have to be restaurants with wheelchair access so I'm going for the Pibroch on the Royal Mile and Amarone at St Andrews Square, Scottish and Italian. Any suggestions for the Thursday night? Can't be Chinese.

Viva Mexico on Cockburn St?

15 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Gaucho’s in St. Andrew Sq. is good.  Not cheap mind.

9 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I don't think giving them the shits for three days would make me popular. 

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you if the remit's essentially nothing ethnic. I was also going to suggest The Witchery up by the castle, but I'm pretty sure it's not wheelchair accessible from memory.

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you if the remit's essentially nothing ethnic. I was also going to suggest The Witchery up by the castle, but I'm pretty sure it's not wheelchair accessible from memory.
Ate and stayed there several years ago. There apartments were fantastic but thought the food was a bit overrated. The prices on the wine list would give you a heart attack!!

3 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

One of the group has Crohn's so spicy is a bit dodgy. Anybody tried Fazenda in George St? I fancy that because one of the group is vegetarian and I don't like him. 

1 minute ago, MuckleMoo said:
3 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Ate and stayed there several years ago. There apartments were fantastic but thought the food was a bit overrated. The prices on the wine list would give you a heart attack!!

Seems to be their version of the the likes of the Ubiquitous Chip...gets a good name but any time I've eaten there hasn't exactly been stellar. It's a nice set-up there though, and I guess that's what you're paying for.

Seems to be their version of the the likes of the Ubiquitous Chip...gets a good name but any time I've eaten there hasn't exactly been stellar. It's a nice set-up there though, and I guess that's what you're paying for.
Spot on. You're paying for the experience which, I guess, they have pretty much nailed. Don't get me wrong, really enjoyed the food but if it's purely food you're after there will be better options. Going back to to the wine list I'm sure the most expensive bottle was in the region of £20,000

1 hour ago, MuckleMoo said:
1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

Spot on. You're paying for the experience which, I guess, they have pretty much nailed. Don't get me wrong, really enjoyed the food but if it's purely food you're after there will be better options. Going back to to the wine list I'm sure the most expensive bottle was in the region of £20,000

If you’re going purely for the food around that part of Edinburgh then you can’t do better than Honours imo.  Don’t think it’s wheelchair accessible though.

It's not what you're looking for, but I'd like to add that I was in Edinburgh last week and I stumbled on a small French cafe next to the Conference Centre called Le Petit Cafe. It was truly excellent. I'd recommend it to any Edinburgh punters who are looking for a coffee and a snack in the afternoon.

BTW, what the f**k happened to Princes Street? That used to be prestigious, now it's all pound shops and Sports Direct. Has any street in Scotland suffered such a fall from grace?

7 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

One of the group has Crohn's so spicy is a bit dodgy. Anybody tried Fazenda in George St? I fancy that because one of the group is vegetarian and I don't like him. 

Fazenda's brilliant.  Unfortunately I don't think you'll get the satisfaction of annoying the veggie as the salad bar is fantastic.  My wife's a vegetarian and raved about it, she can't wait to go back.

Bertie’s could be good for simple/fun fare. Owned by the same mob as Vitoria/La Favorita and is a big fish and chip restaurant in a pretty cool old building. Fish suppers and all the stuff you’d expect from a chippy menu but nice quality and a bit retro/kitschy. Deep fried Mars bars (or Snickers) on the menu too, which usually goes down with southern guests. 

Fazenda is definitely worth a visit.

9 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

One of the group has Crohn's so spicy is a bit dodgy.

I was going to suggest Mother India's Cafe or Solti both about a 5 - 10 minute walk from the Royal Mile but if spice is an issue they might not be the best suggestions. But check out the menu and see if anything there might be a goer.

10 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

I’m going with friends today to an Indian in St Andrews Square called Dishoon, I think.

Ill report back if it’s any good.

6 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I’m going with friends today to an Indian in St Andrews Square called Dishoon, I think.

That's part of a chain. I was at the one London a few weeks ago, it was pretty good.

7 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Dishoon is very good.  Most of the restaurants in St. Andrew Sq. are.  The only one that we felt was a bit meh was the Ivy.  Nothing wrong with it but nothing to make you want to go back.