Groundhop 2022

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Think you posted a list before but how many EOS grounds are there still left to do by the groundhop?

Northumberland
Berwick 💡, Tweedmouth

East Lothian
Dunbar 💡, Haddington 💡, Musselburgh 💡, Tranent 💡

Midlothian
Arniston, Edinburgh Utd, Penicuik 💡
+ Craigroyston, Tynecastle

West Lothian
Armadale, Bathgate, Fauldhouse, Livingston Utd, Pumpherston, Stoneyburn, West Calder, Whitburn

Fife
Kennoway, Kirkcaldy, Lochgelly, Lochore, Newburgh, St Andrews 💡, Thornton
+ Rosyth

Clackmannanshire
Sauchie 💡

Perthshire
Jeanfield 💡, Kinnoull, Luncarty

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 19/03/2022 at 12:03, cowdenbeath said:

The concessions thing must be right as I bought a Haws ticket on Fanbase and they just had the one price, normally they also have concessions.

I imagine they will look after their regulars some other way.

I think the concessions thing is actually to maximise the revenue for the clubs from the hop, I was on this again (for the 6th time out of the 7 Scottish ones they have done). I never travel with them or stay in the hotels with them as my location in the North East of England makes it easier for me to travel independently and I book my own accommodation which is often a campsite. I am 55 years old and younger than many on the hop and if they allowed concessions you would have maybe 150 pensioners paying a couple of hundred quid on travel and accommodation and giving 3 or 4 quid to each club. I think its fair that they pay the full adult price and I am sure the clubs know full well who their regular OAP's are and can look after them as they see fit. If I was on the committee I would just let the regular OAP's in for free and tell the groundhop lot that they were season ticket holders.

I am not close to the organisers and don't go on any of their other hops just the Scottish ones, but I am pretty sure they take no gate money at all and there must be committee members from clubs who have hosted previously on this forum who can confirm this.

I enjoyed it again this time and the highlight for me was Hill O Beath last night. Nice ground that is immaculately maintained and a cracking game of football.

I had been to the soulless Alliance park before and therefore knew not to expect too much from that one. That's me completed the current Lowland League (Not seen either of the chuckle brothers teams but been to a game at the proper teams who play there. My game my rules) to go with the main 42. Still got 3 to go of the 92 in England but got them all planned this year and now moving my attention to doing the National League plus National League North and South of which I have already done 24 of the 66 member clubs.

PS - The time I missed the hop was due to a clash with Sunderland playing Pompey at Wembley in the Papa Jon's final a few years back. We lost as usual.........

Edited by Roker Rover

2 hours ago, Saints1921 said:

St Andrews United happy to take part in the ground hop at any time!!!!

I did overhear you mentioned by one of the organisers this weekend so its clearly in their thoughts.

Problem I see is distance as the majority on the hops come from the South of England and for e.g. their bus is still not due back in London as I type this at 22:17 on a Sunday night. The Sunday morning game needs to be earlier in my opinion as I was basically kicking my heels this morning waiting for the 12:15 start. I realise this impacts on the players and the locals etc, but is an 11am start for e.g. really that early? Stayed in Kinross which is 20 odd mins drive away. That maybe could have been a 10:30 or 11:00 start and if they are doing a hop in North Fife or Angus then the Sunday game would need to start even earlier.

If I was running it I would do Friday /Sat South of the Forth or South part of Fife and have the Saturday games further North. I realise floodlights are needed for the Friday match and not sure how many in the South yet to be done have these?

PS - Is the 12:15 start a licensing issue? Can clubs in Scotland serve Alcohol in corporate areas before noon?

Edited by Roker Rover

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Looks like enough for about five more geographical hops, though it'll be tricky get through all of them unless more clubs have lights.

Go further North and leave the more Southerly ones for the Sunday morning game is the answer to that.

1 hour ago, Roker Rover said:

Go further North and leave the more Southerly ones for the Sunday morning game is the answer to that.

I was meaning that you need three grounds on each hop with lights (only two if you do it April-August) so you couldn't do a purely West Lothian or Perth-area hop without more lights being installed.

12 hours ago, Roker Rover said:

I think the concessions thing is actually to maximise the revenue for the clubs from the hop, I was on this again (for the 6th time out of the 7 Scottish ones they have done). I never travel with them or stay in the hotels with them as my location in the North East of England makes it easier for me to travel independently and I book my own accommodation which is often a campsite. I am 55 years old and younger than many on the hop and if they allowed concessions you would have maybe 150 pensioners paying a couple of hundred quid on travel and accommodation and giving 3 or 4 quid to each club. I think its fair that they pay the full adult price and I am sure the clubs know full well who their regular OAP's are and can look after them as they see fit. If I was on the committee I would just let the regular OAP's in for free and tell the groundhop lot that they were season ticket holders.

I am not close to the organisers and don't go on any of their other hops just the Scottish ones, but I am pretty sure they take no gate money at all and there must be committee members from clubs who have hosted previously on this forum who can confirm this.

I enjoyed it again this time and the highlight for me was Hill O Beath last night. Nice ground that is immaculately maintained and a cracking game of football.

I had been to the soulless Alliance park before and therefore knew not to expect too much from that one. That's me completed the current Lowland League (Not seen either of the chuckle brothers teams but been to a game at the proper teams who play there. My game my rules) to go with the main 42. Still got 3 to go of the 92 in England but got them all planned this year and now moving my attention to doing the National League plus National League North and South of which I have already done 24 of the 66 member clubs.

PS - The time I missed the hop was due to a clash with Sunderland playing Pompey at Wembley in the Papa Jon's final a few years back. We lost as usual.........

Re the concessions it’s reported on another forum that the lady taking the gate money at the Haws was subject to abuse from away fans because there was no concession.

I thought they got a cut of the gate money and that was the reason for no concessions, maybe wrong on that.

26 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Re the concessions it’s reported on another forum that the lady taking the gate money at the Haws was subject to abuse from away fans because there was no concession.

I thought they got a cut of the gate money and that was the reason for no concessions, maybe wrong on that.

When we hosted Preston Athletic on the groundhop, we had to pay Preston an "inconvenience" payment due to the later KO time, think it was in the region of £200.  I don't think it had anything to do with no concessions being charged.

Maybe the fact there's no concessions needs to be better advertised by clubs taking part so the unfortunate people on the gate don't need to take abuse.

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

You’re absolutely right, the lady on the gate was subject to disgraceful abuse from a small minority of away fans regarding concessions.

The HAWS arranged in advance free entry for a future game for all their regular concessions and the away team were compensated all as per Ground Hop UK instructions

I heard the HAWS Secretary spoke to the EoS Officials in the ground about the abuse and the concession rule, also the visiting club Secretary, we’ll see if they do anything ???!!!

Didn’t spoil a fantastic night at Keirs Park, but left a bad taste on the mouth how the lady, who is a volunteer, was treated.

Presumably this no concessions rule was in place when Linlithgow were a home groundhop club in 2019?

Also, seems to have been a bit of a stooshie about a groundhopper's fleg that other hoppers didn't like being in their photos so they complained to the organiser (though reading the tweets it wasn't displayed on this hop).

9 minutes ago, LowerLeagueFC said:

absolute weirdos getting upset that the boy has a flag ruining their photos. 

From my experience, a good 85% of the guys on these organised groundhop trips are utter weirdos. I like visiting a new ground as much as anyone, but some of the "rules" they set are absolutely bonkers.

7 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

From my experience, a good 85% of the guys on these organised groundhop trips are utter weirdos. I like visiting a new ground as much as anyone, but some of the "rules" they set are absolutely bonkers.

I just thought I'd interject, but organised groundhoppers are the trainspotters of the football world. Now, I love visiting new grounds but these people seem to be obsessive about it and clearly take photographs to document their visit. 

If I was the guy with the flag I'd try to compromise. Could he not agree to take it down fifteen minutes before time, or hang it up fifteen minutes after the start of the game? I understand that he's perfectly entitled to display his flag, but he's clearly upsetting some folk so why not try and accommodate them?

1 hour ago, Mr. Smith said:

I just thought I'd interject, but organised groundhoppers are the trainspotters of the football world. Now, I love visiting new grounds but these people seem to be obsessive about it and clearly take photographs to document their visit. 

If I was the guy with the flag I'd try to compromise. Could he not agree to take it down fifteen minutes before time, or hang it up fifteen minutes after the start of the game? I understand that he's perfectly entitled to display his flag, but he's clearly upsetting some folk so why not try and accommodate them?

Boy pays his money he can put a flag up as long as the home club dosn’t object happens at most games every week.