Groundhop 2022

31 minutes ago, bravehearts dad said:

And the reason why the Braves manager gave his opinion to the Glasgow Record about the OF Colts being in the LL.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

Aye being so near they probably benefit more than most from games against the colts.

18 hours ago, Ginaro said:

In the NLM thread the Crystal Bar is mentioned, not sure if it is "decent". There's also the Coaledge Tavern (been a decade since I was in there but seemed alright) on the east end of the village but that's 15 minutes away from the ground. Looked at their FB and they had posted the Fitba Nomad's report https://thefitbanomad.wordpress.com/2019/03/10/pitching-up-at-crossgates-primrose/

The Coaledge - a very famous and not a bad former player holds the licence for that hostelry. Played for a few decent clubs including DUNBAR United. He was even in the player pool for a European Final. Nice guy.

9 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

It’s the conditions from what I heard of I’m not all that keen on.

Sharing the gate with your opponent’s and the ground hop organisers I believe.

Don’t mind so much the visitors getting an inconvenience payment but a commission for the hop organisers who I believe don’t like concessions.

Not very good for regular OAPs and kids.

Your regular fans are your life blood.

I suppose clubs can compensate them in someway.

And other things like you have to provide a programme.

You know me and that I like a programme but should clubs really be made to do one if they don’t normally bother.

I can only go back to when WW were in it. The home club kept everything and the groundhop organiser made his money off the punters coming up from England, 3 coachloads back then. WW missed out the first year of LL fixtures but they did it the following year. You had to do badges as well.
But I’m not defending it, I won’t be at any of it this weekend, over to San Starko to see ICT and home again. Might see you if Bonnyrigg make the playoff.

Edited by The Mantis

18 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

I can only go back to when WW were in it. The home club kept everything and the groundhop organiser made his money off the punters coming up from England, 3 coachloads back then. WW missed out the first year of LL fixtures but they did it the following year. You had to do badges as well.
But I’m not defending it, I won’t be at any of it this weekend, over to San Starko to see ICT and home again. Might see you if Bonnyrigg make the playoff.

It was just things I heard from various folk.

45 minutes ago, Crow said:

Some folk will do anything to find a problem 😆.

The concessions thing must be right as I bought a Haws ticket on Fanbase and they just had the one price, normally they also have concessions.

I imagine they will look after their regulars some other way.

4 hours ago, parsforlife said:

434 seems to be the figure the groundhoppers have settled on at Crossgates.

Penicuit deserved their win, I think the higher standards of at the very top of the division showed.  Studio something at the game looks like a wee feature  for @A View From The Terrace. Have they been filming the full weekend?

That attendance sounds about right to me, it was very busy and will definitely have been a good pay-day for Crossgates. Deserved win for Penicuik indeed.

219     Caledonian Braves v Edinburgh Uni

410     Glenrothes v Kinnoull
434     Crossgates v Penicuik
371     Dundonald v Tranent
584     Hill of Beath v Linlithgow

Excellent crowds throughout today. Hill of Beath v Linlithgow tonight was only 35 shy of being the all-time record Scottish groundhop game.

If more than 253 people watch Oakley v Easthouses it'll make 2022 the all-time record Scottish groundhop weekend. Suspect it'll come-up just short but you never know.

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

219     Caledonian Braves v Edinburgh Uni

434     Crossgates v Penicuik
371     Dundonald v Tranent
584     Hill of Beath v Linlithgow

Excellent crowds throughout today. Hill of Beath v Linlithgow tonight was only 35 shy of being the all-time record Scottish groundhop game.

If more than 253 people watch Oakley v Easthouses it'll make 2022 the all-time record Scottish groundhop weekend. Suspect it'll come-up just short but you never know.

In my opinion the only down side was the removal of the concession ticket smacks of taking the piss

365     Oakley United v Easthouses Lily

Fantastic.

Smashes record by 100+!

Summary:

2015          2,269     average 379          16 goals     2.7 per game
2016          2,002     average 334          16 goals     2.7 per game          (1 game was unintended*)
2017          1,303     average 261          18 goals     3.6 per game          (5 games only)
2018              886     average 222          29 goals     7.3 per game          (4 games only as 2 postponed^)
2019          2,271     average 379          30 goals     5.0 per game
2021          2,240     average 374          29 goals     4.9 per game
2022          2,383     average 398          19 goals     3.2 per game

*Civil Service Strollers v Leith Athletic was a last-minute substitute after Preston Athletic v Threave Rovers was postponed waterlogged shortly before kickoff
^Lothian Thistle HV v Tynecastle and Peebles Rovers v Ormiston were waterlogged and snowbound respectively

618     Linlithgow Rose v Jeanfield Swifts
584     Hill of Beath Hawthorn v Linlithgow Rose
517     Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic v Dalbeattie Star
507     Bo'ness United v Civil Service Strollers
491     East Kilbride v Whitehill Welfare
462     Threave Rovers v Edinburgh University
435     Spartans v University of Stirling
434     Crossgates Primrose v Penicuik Athletic
418     Edinburgh City v East Kilbride
401     Newtongrange Star v Tranent
400     Dalbeattie Star v Edinburgh City

380     Dunipace v Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic
371     Dundonald Bluebell v Tranent
366     Gretna 2008 v Dalbeattie Star
365     Oakley United v Easthouses Lily
356     Camelon v Edinburgh United
328     Blackburn United v Preston Athletic
324     Whitehill Welfare v Gala Fairydean Rovers
323     Gala Fairydean Rovers v University of Stirling
312     Vale of Leithen v Preston Athletic
309     Dalkeith Thistle v Tweedmouth Rangers
301     Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts v Heriot-Watt University

294     Edinburgh University v Selkirk
288     Peebles Rovers v Newtongrange Star
287     Hawick RAU v East Stirlingshire
281     Selkirk v Spartans
278     Broxburn Athletic v Dundonald Bluebell
278     Kelty Hearts v Tweedmouth Rangers
267     Coldstream v Tynecastle
263     Preston Athletic v Cumbernauld Colts
259     Ormiston v Leith Athletic
235     Mid Annandale v Lochmaben
228     Easthouses Lily v Glenrothes
227     Eyemouth United v Lothian Thistle HV
219     Caledonian Braves v Edinburgh University
207     Heriot-Watt University v Leith Athletic
166     Burntisland Shipyard v Preston Athletic
165     Civil Service Strollers v Leith Athletic*

*Civil Service Strollers v Leith Athletic was a last-minute substitute after Preston Athletic v Threave Rovers was postponed shortly before kickoff

On 19/03/2022 at 06:08, Man from the East said:

The Coaledge - a very famous and not a bad former player holds the licence for that hostelry. Played for a few decent clubs including DUNBAR United. He was even in the player pool for a European Final. Nice guy.
That's amazing. He was behind the bar when my Grandad took me there, in about 1972!