A Message to All Stirling Albion Trust Members

Dear Fellow Trust Members,

At this AGM amongst other business being discussed are a number of resolutions of which 3 are from myself. 

They are 

1. That the Trust Board remove Stuart Brown as Chairman and A Director of Stirling Albion FC Club Board at the end of the current football season. 

2. That the Trust Board remove John Daly as a Director of Stirling Albion FC at the end of the current football season. 

3. That steps are taken to amalgamate both the Club Board and Trust Board into one body. The Chair of this new Board shall be in control of both Club and Trust. 

My reasons for putting forward these resolutions are I am greatly concerned at the current form of the football team on the park which has by the looks of it looks likely to fail to get into the playoffs once again. Stuart Brown has been Chairman for a number of years the last 6 spent in League 2 and it seems to me that the time has come to replace Stuart Brown with someone else who is capable  of getting this Club out of League 2. Also the recent disclosure of the Trust Board that both Stuart Brown and John Daly refused to attend a Trust Board meeting unless a Trust Board Director Mr Ian Doyle was not present. 

In the case of John Daly our Supporters Liaison Director his comments published on the Club Website calling some supporters Keyboard Warriors leaves a lot to be desired from a man who`s  prime task is to ensure good relations between the Club and Supporters. 

It is for these reasons I have decided to put forward my resolutions at the AGM. If you are like me concerned at where this Club is going, can I ask you to back my resolutions at the AGM. Your voice counts, make sure your voice is heard. 

Thank You

I have a lot of time for Stuart Brown to be honest, always comes across well in his efforts and commitment to the club although, being chairman the buck does stop with him regarding successive bad managerial appointments so can understand to an extent the criticism levelled at him.

John Daly however is an absolute weapon of a guy, some of the snidey digs at elements of the clubs supporters in his 'fan liason' bulletins are nothing short of disgraceful. 

I think though that Stuart Brown and others need to be more transparent on their reasons for refusing to meet with or dialogue with Ian Doyle. 

I understand the snooker agent is a very outspoken figure who doesn't mince his words and it's a well known fact he can be difficult to get along with but the board refusing to engage with him without some form of statement or reasoning is childish in the extreme and the decent thing to do would be to at least issue some sort of statement with reasoning in it.

22 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

I have a lot of time for Stuart Brown to be honest, always comes across well in his efforts and commitment to the club although, being chairman the buck does stop with him regarding successive bad managerial appointments so can understand to an extent the criticism levelled at him.

John Daly however is an absolute weapon of a guy, some of the snidey digs at elements of the clubs supporters in his 'fan liason' bulletins are nothing short of disgraceful. 

Running a football club should not be about how good you are at pr with the fans

It should be about results 

Edited by Binos

Running a football club should not be about how good you are at pr with the fans

Disagree. Results are the management teams responsibility, not that of the boards. The role of a board, at any level, should be to provide the manager with a suitable playing budget to achieve the season objectives, whilst not putting the long term security of the club in jeopardy and looking at ways to grow the club and to have a positive impact in it’s community.

From the outside looking in, Stuart Brown has done everything I'd want.  

• Ensured the club is communicative with supporters
  • Handled tricky situations well
  • Created the space for new initiatives to be tried
  • By all accounts, managed our finances well whilst providing a competitive playing budget to the managers

I fully agree with BB_Bino above that the results come down to the management teams.  It would be a pretty wild leap to suggest that Stuart Brown has affected player performance.  

Of course the ultimate responsibility lies with Stuart for appointing a series of managers who have failed in their objectives.  But I really don't see our appointments being much different from the rest of the league.  You win some, you lose some... sometimes you lose, lose, lose some.

Appointing a manager at any level is a shot in the dark.  Heck when we appointed Jocky Scott as a big name it was a disaster.  

So what can I say about the managerial appointments, well, at the very least... I was never against any appointment and the beginnings of a tenure usually started with an optimism, as all the managers seemed capable of putting together a decent squad.  From there on in, results are down to the manager.  

Essentially, if Stuart Brown had made a shambles of any of the bullet points above then I'd be joining those calling for a resignation.

On another note....

One thing I do have issue with, and this might just be me missing a piece of news, but when the Trust was put in place I thought that the person running the club had a fixed term.  I wouldn't like it if this was just sneakily ignored without any announcement for fear of backlash.

That said, I'm not even sure if changing the person running the club every few years is good for business.  There's a lot of handover issues there.

Edited by BazMac

Have to disagree with you at the end of the day its Stuart Brown who picks the manager and look how many managers he has appointed and got it wrong. This Club once again has FAILED so it seems to have reached the playoffs for another season. 

How many years has Stuart Brown been in charge ? The fact is that under Stuart Brown this Club is under performing on the park. Time for change. 

Edited by rhliston

11 hours ago, Binos said:

Agree at the end of the day no matter how good you are at getting the club on a good financial  footing, its the results on the park that matter the most and once again it seems that we have failed to achieve getting to the playoffs for another season. Another season wasted, Stuart Brown has had his chance to do something and come up short again. Time for him to go. 

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Club keeps on appointing rookie managers and expects miracles.

Yet another season slips by with no hope of promotion.

We get told its fan ownership that is the problem. Annan are fan owned and are heading for the play offs. That argument falls.

Its the size of the crowd to blame. Well Alloa can't attract crowds half that of Stirling yet have spent the past 5 years in the divisions above. Thats because they have an ambitious Board. Montrose has smaller home crowds, look where they are. That argument fails.

Can I ask that the mininmum the Club do is get at least one footballing person on the Board of Directors. Well meaning fans who think they know about the game is not the answer.

Have to disagree with you at the end of the day its Stuart Brown who picks the manager and look how many managers he has appointed and got it wrong.

It’s the board that picks the Manager, not one man. If rumours are believed then Stuart Brown wanted an experienced Manager to replace Dave Mackay but it was very much Colin Rowley and other board members that wanted KR. We’ll never know if that is true or not, but ultimately it’s the board decision and we have had various board members come and go over the Stuart Brown reign.

The Club keeps on appointing rookie managers and expects miracles.

Have they maybe tried to rectify this by appointing Darren Young?? Wouldn’t class him as a rookie
Can I ask that the mininmum the Club do is get at least one footballing person on the Board of Directors.

Would agree with this and it’s something I would like to see, but ultimately you need someone to volunteer their services first and foremost because remember they are not paid, MAYBE that’s not happened, I don’t know but it’s maybe worth asking Stuart or the Board, I’m sure they would answer the question.

24 minutes ago, BazMac said:

It's not like Peter had a football person on his board.  Most clubs at this level are run by local businessmen, not by ex footballers.

Elgin City are going to sign a Director of Football, they have just appointed a general manager. They have ambition.

Times have changed. Football has changed.

All I see at Stirling Albion is the same people doing the same things.

5 hours ago, BazMac said:

It's not like Peter had a football person on his board.  Most clubs at this level are run by local businessmen, not by ex footballers.

You've forgotten that Peter was both a businessman and a 'football person', an ex-player albeit of a different age who knew made players tick and could get the best out of people.

19 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Disagree. Results are the management teams responsibility, not that of the boards. The role of a board, at any level, should be to provide the manager with a suitable playing budget to achieve the season objectives, whilst not putting the long term security of the club in jeopardy and looking at ways to grow the club and to have a positive impact in it’s community.

The long term security of the club is in jeopardy,  or will be in non league 

The board choose the managers that got us to the current situation 

Which hopefully will improve!

Edited by Binos

Nothing wrong with rookie managers if you support them properly.  Get a wise old head in to help when things go wrong - which they will for any manager.  In any job someone going in to their first managerial role is given plenty of support - not just chucked in and left to it.  Our approach is to hire a rookie and then sack him as soon as a string of bad results causes a bit of grief on social media. We all know the board doesn't like criticism 🙂

Sacking a manager every year makes the club look bad and makes it unattractive to potential candidates.  As does the way in which some managers are removed apparently. So when we have a vacancy we end up getting a poor selection to choose from and we get a bad rep in the small world of lower League Scottish football.

Instead of repeating the stupid hire/fire cycle with guys on a part time 11 hours a week contract why don't we invest in a full time manager?  I'm pretty sure a full time gig would attract a far better quality of applicant.  It might reduce the playing budget a bit but if it's decent anyway and we've got the rangers money, the James Anderson money, the Scottish government covid money and saved a few quid with the furlough scheme what is there to lose?  It's not like they could make things worse.

Give the full time guy wider responsibility too - maybe some commercial stuff - so that all those poor, overworked volunteers have a bit less to do.  Might reduce the potential impact of them 'walking away' too. 

Alloa have been doing the full time manager bit very successfully for quite a while now with a far smaller fanbase

Or alternatively just keep doing the hire/fire roulette and hope for the best but prepare for the worst 

Edited by TheVoiceofReason
Typo

2 hours ago, Binos said:

The long term security of the club is in jeopardy,  or will be in non league 

What complete bullshit. Cassandra fans at the likes of the Shire, Brechin and Berwick thought the same thing and yet somehow they survive.

Stirling are throughout their franchise history a bottom league team, they'll survive in the non-leagues.

12 hours ago, drs said:

What complete bullshit. Cassandra fans at the likes of the Shire, Brechin and Berwick thought the same thing and yet somehow they survive.

Stirling are throughout their franchise history a bottom league team, they'll survive in the non-leagues.

The acceptance of being a basement bottom outfit is extremely worrying 

From circa late eighties to approx 10 years ago this is not my recollection 

Yes fan owned now but this acceptance has led in part imo to where we are languishing.  It takes one worse season to go through the trap door,  there would be no return 

What the f**k is a franchise